Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
maybe they are giving you general views on the climate over the year - i would probably say i prefer NZ if you asked me in the street and compared it to where i am - it is sunnier than where i am ,it is also milder in winter ...and i believe you that it has less drizzle ..so maybe a yes ,but i would barely notice the difference
..i didn't notice the increased sun in Sussex when i lived there .. and i would say somewhere like Christchurch is the same or very similar to a south coast resort .

Unless you make a large step up i don't see how these guys would notice unless they're from further up in the UK .

Are you influencing them ? I had a lady tell me a few years ago (she had lived here for 3 years) that the summers here were the same as Sydney - that was her perception and the figures may have tallied for those 3 years more or less - but i bet she wasn't saying that after 2006 here
Both -the year in general, and the summer. One of the things that standout is swimming . Temperatures should be similar as water temperatures are only a little warmer in summer here, yet people repeatedly say they England just isn't comparable -what is normal here, would be exceptional here.

If hundreds of people had said the climate there was similar to Sydney, perhaps you would think differently. That's unlikely to happen though, as it's a minority view -not so with British immigrants here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
And yet they are.
Well, you claim they are. Whether people believe you is another matter entirely.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, you claim they are. Whether people believe you is another matter entirely.

That is why we need to use climate stats. Anyone can claim such and such person said our climate is much better, etc. etc. Statistically, the climate of London in summer is warmer than much of New Zealand in summer. London is quite a bit warmer than Wellington in summer, so I just tend to doubt someone from London would think Wellington had a better summer. Maybe winter, but not summer.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
On the various gardening forums I have been on Brits that have moved to New Zealand have mostly commented about the milder winters in New Zealand, rather than having better summers...

Old 05-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Errrr...... okaaaaaaay

Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Okay.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:39 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Errrr...... okaaaaaaay
He makes a valid point. Anyone could claim that most people they've met prefer one climate to another. All it amounts to is people taking your word at face value. I'm not suggesting that you're a liar, it's just not an effective way of comparing climates in a forum. This is why we primarily use data to compare climates, as Tom has already said.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That is why we need to use climate stats. Anyone can claim such and such person said our climate is much better, etc. etc. Statistically, the climate of London in summer is warmer than much of New Zealand in summer. London is quite a bit warmer than Wellington in summer, so I just tend to doubt someone from London would think Wellington had a better summer. Maybe winter, but not summer.
Wellington's warmest suburbs are as warm as London, and there are warmer areas within the greater area.

Stats are useful, but I think a consistent opinion is useful as well -Wellington is warmer in summer than Motueka, but I won't move be moving there for better summers.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
And yet they are.

All over, but more typically from the south. As I weather enthusiast, I've have talked to literally hundreds of "poms" about weather here and there. The answer is much the same. If it's raining, chilly etc, they will typically state, that at least it rains properly here, and will soon clear.

I talk to any immigrant from any country I can about weather, and people from each country generally echo each others view on the climate.

Wellington and Christchurch still compare favourably, to those I talk to. They don't generally separate summer from the rest of the year though.
I've met dozens (?) of New Zealanders in Brisbane and guess what? They say the weather in NZ stinks, it's way better in Brisbane. Does that carry any validity? Not by itself; it's strictly anecdotal and highly likely to be biased by a selection effect.

What Torshavn said is correct: people always see greener pastures elsewhere. As a result, the only valid way to compare climates is to assess the data. Stories are just made up and thoroughly unreliable. Even on this forum--where people should know better--there are repeated dubious claims.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Wonder why these folks in London felt the need to put on a jacket then:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/werelo...-Jyh97f-Kkp7mL
2nd July 2016 by mean temp was the coldest day of the month.

20.6c / 10.5c

Only 4 days had colder highs, and only 1 night had a colder low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather