Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
There are stereotypes. When I ask someone what they think about the weather in the UK, they say it's dark and wet. When I ask them about NZ, they say nice and pleasant weather.
I ask someone about NZ's weather they will just shrug their shoulders, few people are familiar with the climate there. People just know that it has nice landscapes and a very good rugby team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:23 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I don't think we will have a chance of getting sun hours to average. We are currently on about 90 hrs or so, so we would need about 12 hrs a day, every day, starting from this morning to even reach the typical 200 hours for May.

Best estimates, I think we will end up around 160 hrs this month. May 2012 almost identical (first 3 weeks were the coldest and cloudiest on record, then the last week was 80s).

GFS going for 32c at the weekend!
Is it? Since when? It shows 24/25c.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
in fact if England overnight turned hot,sunny and arid i think it might put folk off coming - esp true of Ireland - have heard many a tourist marvel at the greenery
I was watching my local BBC News channel and we had some Syrian migrants on. The wife said 'I love it here, it's always cool and raining, I hate the weather in Syria'.

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
It isn't cool though, it's 5c above the average room temperature.
i'm not sure i go for all this wearing jackets milarkey . When i come back from 2 weeks at 30 plus degrees i don't suddenly don a jacket just because it's only 21c and cloudy lol .

I think it's either chilly or it's not and you get used to a way of dressing . All the folk who moved here from southern Spain and Portugal dress the same as the rest of us .

Maybe jackets are just an American thing

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
I always thought Wellington had an awful climate ???? poss the worst in that country .

It depends where in the UK folk you speak to come from . If they come from areas such as the midlands,north west ,north east ,scotland etc then yes, they will notice a vast difference - heck they say the same when they come to my patch . I assume not everyone you speak to is from southern England ?

Most folk in SE England generally accept NZ climate to be the same as southern England and better than the rest of the UK ,of course i know NZ is marginally better overall - but Australia normally gets the sunshine plaudits - NZ normally gets the beauty accolades for its stunning scenery .

NZ doesn't have a reputation as a warm sunny country -and it won't , because it's not
It doesn't matter where in the UK people come from, they all say much the same thing -that's it's a lot better.

Wellington isn't great, but it's far from the worst in NZ. It would standout in the UK though

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Is it? Since when? It shows 24/25c.
I saw a forecast on BBC news earlier that were predicting a strong possibility of those temperatures later in the week.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It doesn't matter where in the UK people come from, they all say much the same thing -that's it's a lot better.
That's just an anecdotal argument that doesn't amount to much. Compare it with some stats from south-east England, and the difference seems neither here nor there in many cases.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
i'm not sure i go for all this wearing jackets milarkey . When i come back from 2 weeks at 30 plus degrees i don't suddenly don a jacket just because it's only 21c and cloudy lol .

I think it's either chilly or it's not and you get used to a way of dressing . All the folk who moved here from southern Spain and Portugal dress the same as the rest of us .

Yeah, I recognise that it's not super warm at 23c, but at the same time, it's not cold either is it. Let's be honest.

Americans are just going round saying 'oh 23c is jacket weather' to be patronising.

I have been to Virginia/Florida/New York etc over summer months and in those locations there are occasional days with 24/25c and even rain. I didn't see people walking around with coats on.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times
Quote:

I can agree with tom77falcons on that. When I spent 10 days on the east coast and 3 weeks in Eastern Europe a few years ago, it felt cool in Seattle at 20-24C when I came back. But when you stay 5-10 days here, you get used to it and it starts to feel warm at those temperatures and even cooler temperatures. If you stay under the sun, it can feel hot at 22C here and you get easily get sunburnt, but it's different feeling in shade.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM

I've been to NJ/FL a few times in June/July/Augst period, during my stays there were plenty of 23/24c and cloudy days.

People weren't dressed in winter gear.

Infact, tbh during my stays temps were up and down, never really consistent. Virginia went from 37c to 24c to 32c etc, repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather