Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Okay, shoot the messenger.
I will when the messenger is clearly trying to peddle some kind of agenda.

Quote:
Warmest Wellington suburbs have 23.5C maximums, highest in the urban authority 24.4C.
Any source for this? And even if it's true, it doesn't make it much better than a London summer, which is the entire point of this.

Quote:
Londoners would be disappointed by Motueka's heatwaves, as we don't have them -doesn't stop them comparing a Motueka summer favourably though.
I don't see why, Motueka's highs are also weak. You basically have a wetter version of Portsmouth's summers, good for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 03:20 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Yes, Upper Hutt in the inner part of Wellington's bay is pretty well-shielded by mountains, so wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've been very frustrated by not finding any sources for Lower and Upper Hutt, so it'd be very welcome indeed

Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times
Anyway Joe - as i said before - the news i get back about the NZ forums re Weliington is that it sucks - it really sucks .

Windy - climate from hell - cold summers -

Wellington - epic fail climate

EXPOSED

Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Where in VA or FL? Philly hasn't had a July or August day with a high temp of 75F or below since one day in August 2014. And there were some people wearing jackets that day I'm sure. It was 71F yesterday for a high temp and many had jackets on. We just had a string of 90F plus days and 71F feels chilly after that.

Wonder why these folks in London felt the need to put on a jacket then:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/werelo...-Jyh97f-Kkp7mL
they look like rain macs Tom - does look a bit threatening in the back there - common for folk on days like that to pack a mac - 16 or 23 it wouldn't matter .

prob a lot of American tourists in there too

Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Every Brit seems to compare England with 35c in southern Spain's summer .

So therefore anything less than 30c is freezing , bone curdling cold - put the heating on , extra blankets on the bed and thermal coats.

Eccentrics all the way down the line to Oscar Wilde ha
People in Seattle always compare the weather here with the weather in San Diego or LA which is wrong. That's why there are so many complaints.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have a few friends from the UK and one from Australia (currently living in the UK). We all keep in touch on FB, etc. I can't say I've ever heard them say anything about NZ as far as having better weather. Australia on the other hand yes constantly.
So because they don't say it, it means it doesn't have it?

Quote:
A lot of the British are quirky though with weather and the like - they will shut the curtains when it is 30c here . They hate to praise the British climate -it's just not done .

Most Brits hate anything British - British cars - restaraunts - towns and cities -beaches -jobs- -you name it ..the UK sucks for just about everyone . In fact i am struggling to think of anyone who likes the UK .... they all seem to hate it !
- the English hate good English weather - in their minds it does not exist . They convince themselves it is bad the whole time . It's a guilt thing - you are not supposed to enjoy the UK weather . I was outside thsi afternoon sunbathing - very nice it was - but i bet i was the only Brit ,everyone else was possibly at work or indoors with the heating on and dressed in overcoats . . I have heard people say that 25c is even cold because in Cyrprus it will be 36 in summer - that is the mentality .
But it's the same 25 as anywhere else . But most folk won't have it ...they will argue with you until you back down .
Okay, I will regard them as all liars from now on.

Quote:
Anyway Joe - as i said before - the news i get back about the NZ forums re Weliington is that it sucks - it really sucks .

Windy - climate from hell - cold summers -

Wellington - epic fail climate

EXPOSED
And yet, Wellington is warmer than Motueka in summer .... could it be that factors other than temperature make Motueka more desirable during summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post

I don't see why, Motueka's highs are also weak. You basically have a wetter version of Portsmouth's summers, good for you
Well, that's just what the many Londoners here say, although it's been pointed out that they were most likely lying.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Errrr...... okaaaaaaay
Joe ,you seriously wouldn't belive how much brits run their climate down - its epidemic . prob adds to the stereos

I overheard one English (Londoner) woman telling a group of Kiwi's no less how it was cloudy in England the whole time - no sun ,just cloud - no summer -it was like 'this' all summer ....this being 16c and cloudy one summer afternoon in Trier ( Germany) as that's where we were at the time .

So Brits do like to dramatise

Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Well, that's just what the many Londoners here say, although it's been pointed out that they were most likely lying.
Keep falling back on those anecdotal arguments.

Btw, a group of people from NZ just knocked on my door, I asked them what they wanted, and they just stood there and proceeded to tell me how superior British summers are to their own. Then they left, weird.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Keep falling back on those anecdotal arguments.

Btw, a group of people from NZ just knocked on my door, I asked them what they wanted, and they just stood there and proceeded to tell me how superior British summers are to their own. Then they left, weird.
That's a very unusual experience, and one that is no way similar to my experience over about the last 40 years of being a weather buff. I've heard everything from overheard snippets, to long discussion with people very interested and informed on the climate over there. Contrary to what some are saying on here, not all are dismissive of the British climate, but in the end, the myriad of views and opinions have a consistency about them that I don't ignore.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's a very unusual experience, and one that is no way similar to my experience over about the last 40 years of being a weather buff. I've heard everything from overheard snippets, to long discussion with people very interested and informed on the climate over there. Contrary to what some are saying on here, not all are dismissive of the British climate, but in the end, the myriad of views and opinions have a consistency about them that I don't ignore.
Yes, it was very unusual indeed.

Go to Australia and most people there will tell you that NZ has a crap climate. By your logic there's a sense of consistency to those views that cannot be ignored, therefore it is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather