Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 07:27 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
All good points, although I think a record low below freezing is more of a tropical characteristic of anything, unless we’re only talking about very moderated, oceanic locations. There’s plenty of places in the higher latitudes of the tropics with record lows below 0C.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conc...raguay#Climate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampico#Climate
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vientiane#Climate
It's comical that people fixate on the literal handful of days in a century Miami is below 35F

Where are all the people claiming Chiang Rai and Sakhon Nakhon are not tropical? Record low of 35F and 30F.

I really want to see someone argue that Sakhon Nakhon with its 22C average mean in January is not tropical because the record low is -1.4C

Freezing and near freezing temperatures have been recorded in the southern lowland Amazon region during Antarctic cold waves in Brazil, Bolivia, and Peru. Guess they're not tropical either???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:30 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
It's comical that people fixate on the literal handful of days in a century Miami is below 35F

Where are all the people claiming Chiang Rai and Sakhon Nakhon are not tropical? Record low of 35F and 30F.

I really want to see someone argue that Sakhon Nakhon with its 22C average mean in January is not tropical because the record low is -1.4C
Just ask the people who have gone on vacation to Miami in December who found the 60° weather not to their liking.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:58 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Townsville and Miami have very similar climate stats.
Townsville is at latitude 19.26*S
Miami is at latitude 25.76*N and is 700klm further away from the Equator than Townsville.
The obvious differences are the record cold spells in Miami and the record heat spells in Townsville. Discounting historical records, both cities have a tropical climate, with Miami being much wetter on average.
Townsville, Queensland yearly means 28.9c/19.8c
Miami, Florida yearly means 29.0c/21.5c

Old 10-16-2021, 10:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just ask the people who have gone on vacation to Miami in December who found the 60° weather not to their liking.
A day Miami only hits 60°F, Orlando and Tampa are usually only in the upper 40's

Old 10-16-2021, 09:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
SE is a huge land area. Houston's mean daily temp is 55 degrees in January. Louisville is 35 Tampa 62. Boone, NC gets over 2 feet of snow per year. All them are in the South with very different climates

Old 10-18-2021, 12:33 PM

104 posts, read 108,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I just did for you guys.
Using ERA5, taking 1991-2020 normals, and applying my own system's threshold over it. Of course just for the temp requeriment, there is also Pp onto the classification mix.

For the most part it agrees with my system and the environment analysis associated with. Aside from the fact that I think that the temperate lower boundary should be a bit south than that line on the map (especially towards New England), my major issue is with the hemiboreal boundary. From my deep analysis of the environment (wich should fit with the climate system) I always have seen the northern lakes forests of the US (like those in north Michigan and NE Minnesota) as strongly hemiboreal in overal character. But just going by this ERA averages, the boundary goes up and leaves the lower48 almost free of hemiboreal. The station by station checking shows different mean values in those areas than this map, and of course are more in tie with the environment and my system.
I agree with that map more than most of what I see on CD, but here's mine:

I consider central Florida and far South Texas a transition zone between subtropical and tropical because they have 2 unequal temperature based seasons rather than the 1 temperature based season of the tropics, the 4 unequal temperature based seasons of the core subtropical areas, or the 4 equal temperature based seasons in temperate and continental areas. Unlike many on CD, I consider where I live in Rock Hill, SC to be subtropical, but the climate boundary is clearly around Iredell county going up I-77 as the vegetation, temperature, and overall feel tends to become more temperate

Old 10-18-2021, 03:17 PM

853 posts, read 693,687 times
Maybe a 15 C coldest month mean can delineate from core subtropical and transitional subtropical

Orlando is just below 16 C in January and Gainesville is just below 13 C

Orlando's vegetation: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5602...7i16384!8i8192

Gainesville's vegetation: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6594...7i13312!8i6656

Miami's vegetation: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.6810...7i16384!8i8192

Old 10-18-2021, 03:22 PM

853 posts, read 693,687 times
Plus I also agree that Orlando and Tampa both have Two Seasons: Summer and a Fall/Spring combo (I guess you could call it winter) meanwhile places like Atlanta and Jackson MS have four seasons but with mild winters

Old 10-18-2021, 03:54 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIsAPoser View Post
I agree with that map more than most of what I see on CD, but here's mine:

I consider central Florida and far South Texas a transition zone between subtropical and tropical because they have 2 unequal temperature based seasons rather than the 1 temperature based season of the tropics, the 4 unequal temperature based seasons of the core subtropical areas, or the 4 equal temperature based seasons in temperate and continental areas. Unlike many on CD, I consider where I live in Rock Hill, SC to be subtropical, but the climate boundary is clearly around Iredell county going up I-77 as the vegetation, temperature, and overall feel tends to become more temperate
I largely agree with your subtropical&tropical lines, I myself forgot to add the tropical-subtropical borderline zone onto the map, thanks for doing it
The problem is when you go north, as I don't conceive a temperate/continental division possible. In my view, continental is just a subtype of the cold temperate climate, the other major being oceanic. Seasonality range is a secondary climatic factor, not a primary one like mean temperature, precipitation, or even precipitation pattern are. If you call that middle strip "temperate" then you goona have a collide problem with the oceanic category, in a similar fashion as Koppen has within his C group.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:22 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I largely agree with your subtropical&tropical lines, I myself forgot to add the tropical-subtropical borderline zone onto the map, thanks for doing it
The problem is when you go north, as I don't conceive a temperate/continental division possible. In my view, continental is just a subtype of the cold temperate climate, the other major being oceanic. Seasonality range is a secondary climatic factor, not a primary one like mean temperature, precipitation, or even precipitation pattern are. If you call that middle strip "temperate" then you goona have a collide problem with the oceanic category, in a similar fashion as Koppen has within his C group.
I'm not seeing the logic of this -how can Oceanic and continental climates be regarded as opposite sides of the same coin, when their latitudes can span from the 30s to 70s in latitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather