Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 04:48 PM

405 posts, read 82,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
What you are saying just isn't true. trifoliatea and kumquats will grow unprotected in milder parts of the uk but aren't regarded as true citrus. If regular citrus could grow with ease, they would grow everywhere as the uk has a string gardening culture. There is no comparison to growing them in NZ.

Coastal virginia has a much better chance of producing edible citrus because it only has to contend with cold snaps rather than prolonged damp, overcast cold which weaken a tree.
Trifoliate, can be planted in Montreal, hardy to zone 5, that is amazing. And yep in trifoliate can grow in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:51 PM

No wonder why my friend Victoria succeeds. Well Happy Sabbath, I keep Saturday Sabbath(true Sabbath) I am not jewish. Now here it’s sundown Friday for me.
I love to talk about nature in Sabbaths, so all this being talked here I love it.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:54 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
There is a reason they don't do that often in the uk, and it's the same reason I wouldn't bother trying to grow a mango. There are really only windmill palms in scotland. Very hard to find information on the mandarin and what is mentioned is that lack of taste. Mandarins and other citrus need sufficient heat in all seasons, not just frost hardiness, and this is why the only two uk examples I have seen, were in highly modified environments.
My grandfather had an orange tree in his garden in Kent in the UK, this was years ago, I don't know what kind of orange tree it was, I'm going back 40 years here but I remember it was in the back corner of his garden, it wasn't a very big tree and the oranges weren't particularly large either, from what I remember they were like satsuma's. Also I've seen lemon trees growing in Devon too, I remember seeing some in Torquay. Obviously they are not grown commercially, probably too much work and the fruit wouldn't be anything like the quality and quantity you obviously yield from orange groves down the road in the Med, growing citrus in the UK is simply not commercially viable, no where near! Because of this Citrus trees here are certainly not common and are garden decorations only, but they CAN be grown. I think citrus trees will only just survive the South of the UK where the sunshine levels are highest and where frost is rare, I don't think even the West Coast of Scotland (where there is a strong Gulf Stream) would support them, there are palms that far North though.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
My grandfather had an orange tree in his garden in Kent in the UK, this was years ago, I don't know what kind of orange tree it was, I'm going back 40 years here but I remember it was in the back corner of his garden, it wasn't a very big tree and the oranges weren't particularly large either, from what I remember they were like satsuma's. Also I've seen lemon trees growing in Devon too, I remember seeing some in Torquay. Obviously they are not grown commercially, probably too much work and the fruit wouldn't be anything like the quality and quantity you obviously yield from orange groves down the road in the Med, citrus trees here are certainly not common and are garden decorations only. I think citrus trees will only just survive the South of the UK where the sunshine levels are highest and where frost is rare, I don't think even the West Coast of Scotland (where there is a strong Gulf Stream) would support them, there are palms that far North though.
That is great to hear. Well there are other citrus that might thrive in Scotland. Trifoliate Oranges without a doubt. Well Trifoliate Oranges being native to China, they are originally from Cwa climate in China, the Cfb in Scotland might do different, but they thrive perfectly well for what I know. And the Jiouyuezao mandarin hardy down to 8a might thrive there too, notice that Edinburgh is in zone 8.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:58 PM

Actually the 9°F(-13°C) is already a temperature of zone 7b, maybe that answers the question of why 7b of Long Island managed these.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:05 PM

383 posts, read 96,420 times
trifolitia and kumquats can be gown in the uk but aren't true citrus. These will grow in places like ohio or germany.

A regular orange tree has no chance in the uk unprotected. Plenty of hardcore enthusiasts on uk gardening forums will attest to this. Lemons even in the mildest parts will rely on a feature like a walled garden or proximity to a house.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:22 PM

Anyway neither NZ nor Virginia are sub-Tropical, NZ is too cool year round, it has an Oceanic climate and Virginia, though it is hot enough in its Summer months it is too cold in the depths of Winter and has a very definite Continental vibe. A lot of NZers seem to try and claim they live in a sub-Tropical place though, Australia is sub-Tropical in parts for sure (I think part of Northern Australia is actually in the Tropics isn't it?)

Old 03-08-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
trifolitia and kumquats can be gown in the uk but aren't true citrus. These will grow in places like ohio or germany.

A regular orange tree has no chance in the uk unprotected. Plenty of hardcore enthusiasts on uk gardening forums will attest to this. Lemons even in the mildest parts will rely on a feature like a walled garden or proximity to a house.
There are citrus and banana trees grown in the Abbey Gardens in Tresco (Cornwall), doesn't make Tresco sub-Tropical though - its Oceanic.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:59 PM

Then what is subtropical to you, continental vibe of Virginia is due to being a subtropical climate leaning towards continental more than tropical, still subtropical.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:06 PM

Infact Virginia has not enough continental vibe whatever, I know more humid-subtropical states and places that are more continental-like like Kentucky, and Kentucky is Cfa humid-subtropical, I’ve been there, yes it is but the hardiness zone is low, but that is all. In winter it is pure mixed weather, it doesn’t feel really continental, when compared to other Humid-subtropical places of US, it acts normal, so it’s fine. Also I checked 55% of Ohio is Cfa! And Cleveland is hardiness zone 7a, and crazily taking a hardiness zone higher than even Cinncinati. But Cleveland is rather snowy, but windwill palms are thriving, Ilex opaca, and they are with the trifoliate oranges, Southern Magnolia, Cleveland is looking more subtropical than Cinncinati. The only reason why Cleveland is not classified continental is because coldest months are moderated by lake Erie, and it is very snowy because of the snowbelt. Borderline areas of humid-subtropical and humid-continental have so many complexities Virginia surely doesn’t experience enough of that, so Virginia is not continental at all, it is just part of the colder winter side of humid-subtropical, and the coasts a fine subtropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather