Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
North Carolina 14 51.85%
North Island NZ 10 37.04%
Both in their way 4 14.81%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 07:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times

Advertisements

My son was in NZ at the end of June 2015... fair bit of dormancy that week....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 08:19 PM

200 posts, read 55,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
My son was in NZ at the end of June 2015... fair bit of dormancy that week....

Just to let you know NZs latitude is 35 -47 south with Mnt ranges so a big range in climate zones here.
Aspen Colorado in Winter is not the same as Los Angeles in Winter

Last edited by Nikau Palm; 04-07-2024 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-08-2024, 08:32 AM

402 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikau Palm View Post
Just to let you know NZs latitude is 35 -47 south with Mnt ranges so a big range in climate zones here.
Aspen Colorado in Winter is not the same as Los Angeles in Winter
Well the fact that most of NZ is classified as oceanic confuses people. Salt Lake City in Utah is classified Csa Hot-summer Mediterranean and its obviously not the same at all as Los Angeles. Classification describes broader climate not the local climate itself.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:06 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikau Palm View Post
Depends on where you are in Auckland to how many deciduous trees you see. Some streets are lined with flowering cherry and some parks have a lot of the exotic deciduous plantings.

Sub tropical Jacaranda is the only deciduous tree in my garden. Jacaranda is also popular in Brisbane. The leaf drop on my Jacaranda is very slow through Winter while in Brisbane there may not be a full leaf drop? I should add we have not had a frost at my place in 3 years.
Brisbane probably has more poinciana trees than jacarandas. Either way, they will both keep their leaves over winter provided there is sufficient rain. In a dry winter they may shed more, especially the poincianas. Both will lose their leaves in spring before blooming so October and November is probably the most "bare" time of year in SEQ.

Jacaranda in August:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrnJ3vW9TM1CDCwG9

Jacaranda in October:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PSs7ZLs8QWRNJHQUA

Poinciana in June:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vgz1JAqq6goJ8aWL8

Poinciana in October:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sGG6QD8WDo7uciN6A

Old 04-08-2024, 11:12 AM

397 posts, read 255,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Not surprised to hear people in the US Southeast complaining about dormancy: that's what gives the region its continental vibe.
What is a "continental vibe", where's the snowpack, where's the consistent sub freezing daily average temps for weeks on end?

A few deciduous trees does not make a continental climate or even near one, New Orleans being surrounded by bald cypress forests does not mean it is some kind of semi-continental place, you'd have to have averages near freezing to even be a contender for that.

Quote:
I am surprised to hear people in Central Florida doing so however. Brisbane has similar winter temperatures and I can tell you there is exactly zero dormancy there during winter.
Yes Central Florida does have a lot of sweetgum, bald cypress, and red maples, the grass can brown during some portions of the winter, like this pic from Daytona Beach, FL.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Place is More Subtropical North Island NZ or North Carolina?-212-s-keech-st-daytona-beach  

Old 04-08-2024, 01:03 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
What is a "continental vibe", where's the snowpack, where's the consistent sub freezing daily average temps for weeks on end?

A few deciduous trees does not make a continental climate or even near one, New Orleans being surrounded by bald cypress forests does not mean it is some kind of semi-continental place, you'd have to have averages near freezing to even be a contender for that.

Yes Central Florida does have a lot of sweetgum, bald cypress, and red maples, the grass can brown during some portions of the winter, like this pic from Daytona Beach, FL.
Yes, that's the continental vibe right there. Obviously there's a gradient with it being more-or-less ubiquitous in Virginia and becoming less and less as you go south.

I'm just surprised that there is still a hint of it even in Central Florida. One would expect it to be completely gone by then given the average temperatures.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:06 PM

142 posts, read 32,641 times
Quote:
Not surprised to hear people in the US Southeast complaining about dormancy: that's what gives the region its continental vibe.

I am surprised to hear people in Central Florida doing so however. Brisbane has similar winter temperatures and I can tell you there is exactly zero dormancy there during winter.

I'll be in NZ this June so will be able to report first-hand on the dormancy situation. Last time I was there it was also June (late June to be precise) and, whilst there was more dormancy than Brisbane, it certainly wasn't the dominant characteristic of the environment.
No one complains of dormancy in US southeast. Dormancy is not all continental bruh

Old 04-08-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Brisbane probably has more poinciana trees than jacarandas. Either way, they will both keep their leaves over winter provided there is sufficient rain. In a dry winter they may shed more, especially the poincianas. Both will lose their leaves in spring before blooming so October and November is probably the most "bare" time of year in SEQ.

Jacaranda in August:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZrnJ3vW9TM1CDCwG9

Jacaranda in October:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PSs7ZLs8QWRNJHQUA

Poinciana in June:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vgz1JAqq6goJ8aWL8

Poinciana in October:

Source: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sGG6QD8WDo7uciN6A
You are scaring me!!! Here this winter we had plenty of rain but these trees lost their leaves and it was not colder than Brisbane!!! Well blooming started in January 26 so that Dormancy was literally nothing. I don’t know it is just so mixed here you don’t know what to expect. Here in winter grass is easily green but it barely grows much.

Neither Central Florida nor Brisbane should be considered the main type of subtropical since they are literally just a few degrees short of average coldest month of actually being tropical climate.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:43 PM

43 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
No one was complaining about "dormancy", this is you making stuff up to appease your climate/ecology-based jealousy of the warmer country to your south.

Even where western, particularly montane, North Carolina blends with more northern temperate forest canopy, it's dense with plant growth and subtropical understory flora, fauna, and other characteristics. I've explained this, but you've ignored it because you're butthurt that Canada doesn't have this.

No place with forests that look like "this" has a "continental vibe":

(Bald Head Island Services)

I don't care what introduced oceanic-subtropical species parts of New Zealand can grow

Quote:
Googling "deciduous trees native to Queensland" immediately dispels that assertion. Winter dormancy is not particularly notable in Central Florida, even if there are deciduous species, the same is largely true of Brisbane.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
No one was complaining about "dormancy", this is you making stuff up to appease your climate/ecology-based jealousy of the warmer country to your south.

Even where western, particularly montane, North Carolina blends with more northern temperate forest canopy, it's dense with plant growth and subtropical understory flora, fauna, and other characteristics. I've explained this, but you've ignored it because you're butthurt that Canada doesn't have this.

No place with forests that look like "this" has a "continental vibe":

(Bald Head Island Services)

I don't care what introduced oceanic-subtropical species parts of New Zealand can grow

Googling "deciduous trees native to Queensland" immediately dispels that assertion. Winter dormancy is not particularly notable in Central Florida, even if there are deciduous species, the same is largely true of Brisbane.
In Central Florida there is some dormancy but not for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather