Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
North Carolina 14 51.85%
North Island NZ 10 37.04%
Both in their way 4 14.81%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 08:33 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,505,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
I literally view Central Florida and Brisbane as nearly tropical, not the best example of subtropical, I hate how people consider the warmer side the true one. If I knew no classification I would think they are tropical.
In Australia Brisbane is the quintessential subtropical climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 11:41 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Although most local residents say subtropical starts south of Sydney, I’d tend to agree.
Perth, despite being Mediterranean, has yearly means similar to Brisbane too.
On the OP, most of the North Island of NZ is a fairly tepid climate, certainly not classic subtropical.
North Carolina gets my vote, despite its more continental variations.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:45 AM

402 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
This is not true. The environment of central Florida is in the subtropical moist forest biome. The predominant canopy species in the region are broadleaf evergreens, not northern deciduous.

Central Florida is dominated by broadleaf evergreens, not temperate deciduous vegetation. Winter dormancy is not a dominant characteristic of the Central Florida environment, though it occurs in some species.
Florida is dominated by them true, but it is mixed forests from the temperate mixed forest bordering on tropical grasslands and tropical rainforests in Atlantic coast. By the way the subtropical moist forest biome belongs to the broader temperate mixed forests which Central Florida shows its part of it though transitional to the tropical biomes.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Although most local residents say subtropical starts south of Sydney, I’d tend to agree.
Perth, despite being Mediterranean, has yearly means similar to Brisbane too.
On the OP, most of the North Island of NZ is a fairly tepid climate, certainly not classic subtropical.
North Carolina gets my vote, despite its more continental variations.
I would agree with the tepid thing: when I was in Wellington during June there was a definite oceanic vibe.

The nice thing about tepidness though is that, because it extends to winter, dormancy is not the dominant theme.

Spoiler

That doesn't make Wellington subtropical; it just makes the environment less dormant.

As to the original question, I have no strongly held opinion. There are certainly parts of the North Island that are more subtropical than parts of NC and vice versa. The main obstacle NC faces overall is that a transition from tropical to continental will always create more dormancy (aka "continental vibe") than a transition from tropical to oceanic (aka "oceanic vibe"). This is a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

The shortcomings of the continental vibe are illustrated by observing that what began as an Auckland vs DC battle has morphed into something which includes colder and colder parts of NZ compared to warmer and warmer parts of the States. I expect this process to continue until certain posters get the answer they want; perhaps there is an Invercargill vs Tampa thread coming soon.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
No it can’t be, it is just a bit shy of tropical how can you say such thing!!!! For me a quintessential subtropical of Australia is Coffs Harbour, Brisbane is simply too too close to tropical. In US a quintessential subtropical would be Auburn, AL inland, coastal Wilmington, NC.

Last edited by Subtropical-is-temperate3; 04-10-2024 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-10-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I would agree with the tepid thing: when I was in Wellington during June there was a definite oceanic vibe.

The nice thing about tepidness though is that, because it extends to winter, dormancy is not the dominant theme.

Spoiler

That doesn't make Wellington subtropical; it just makes the environment less dormant.

As to the original question, I have no strongly held opinion. There are certainly parts of the North Island that are more subtropical than parts of NC and vice versa. The main obstacle NC faces overall is that a transition from tropical to continental will always create more dormancy (aka "continental vibe") than a transition from tropical to oceanic (aka "oceanic vibe"). This is a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

The shortcomings of the continental vibe are illustrated by observing that what began as an Auckland vs DC battle has morphed into something which includes colder and colder parts of NZ compared to warmer and warmer parts of the States. I expect this process to continue until certain posters get the answer they want; perhaps there is an Invercargill vs Tampa thread coming soon.
Dear lord, why would someone try to compare a climate that is just slightly shy of being tropical to a right down cool oceanic, that is absurd, I suggest this dormancy arguments to stop. I agree inland NC has the continental vibe but that doesn’t make it not subtropical, it is a way climates like subtropical and other temperates transition from tropical to continental. Coastal NC has no much continental vibes. If you go from FL to NC in Coast there is almost no difference in dormancy. The inland South has a continental vibe but the dormancy is interrupted in the warmer days of winter, there was this time that it reached 24°C in TN, that day bugs came out flowers bloomed, but they became dormant again a few weeks later! So that continental vibe is so incomplete. The very colder edge of humid-subtropical climates to continental in US these have the real continental vibe, with the interruption not being often and having actual snow, that is true continental vibe and just as shy as continental as Brisbane and Central Florida from tropical, that’s what I call continental vibe. A real subtropical for me has to be a place with no specific leanings to continental or tropical vibe, Central Florida and Brisbane have a tropical vibe.

Central Florida has no continental vibe it has a tropical vibe, I know it just by going outside, even in winter it is almost tropical it is just shy by 1 or 2 degrees average coldest month. And this has to be understood, if the transition is from tropical to oceanic there will barely be dormancy but if it’s from tropical to continental there will be dormancy, period. Oceanic climates are like the literal twin of subtropical when it comes to dormancy, so try a transition from tropical to subtropical there will not be much difference of dormancy, there will barely be. If you go from Southern Florida which has no dormancy and you keep going coastal areas up to coastal NC, there actually will not be much of the continental vibe, but if you go inland lets say going to Georgia, you will feel continental vibe, but here is the catch Georgia will hace similar continental vibe as Southern Ohio, but the difference is that snow increases, continental vibe strengthens and it starts to have a real continental vibe until you reach continental, that’s how it works. Using the measuring scale, North Carolina is overall more subtropical, NZ is just an oceanic with almost no continental vibe since it is an oceanic that came from a transition from tropical to oceanic rather than tropical to continental.

Last edited by Subtropical-is-temperate3; 04-10-2024 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
No it can’t be, it is just a bit shy of tropical how can you say such thing!!!! For me a quintessential subtropical of Australia is Coffs Harbour, Brisbane is simply too too close to tropical. In US a quintessential subtropical would be Auburn, AL inland, coastal Wilmington, NC.
The classical definition of the Australian subtropical zone is more of a cultural one than a geographic one. The zone runs from Coffs Harbour up to Seventeen Seventy which places Brisbane right in the exact centre. It's characterized by sleepy small country towns (or, in the case of Brisbane, a large country town) where people go on summer holidays.

When cornered I imagine most Australian would say Sydney also has a subtropical climate but that it's not part of the subtropics because that would equate it culturally to Brisbane--that kind of equivalence is a no-go zone for most Sydneysiders.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The classical definition of the Australian subtropical zone is more of a cultural one than a geographic one. The zone runs from Coffs Harbour up to Seventeen Seventy which places Brisbane right in the exact centre. It's characterized by sleepy small country towns (or, in the case of Brisbane, a large country town) where people go on summer holidays.

When cornered I imagine most Australian would say Sydney also has a subtropical climate but that it's not part of the subtropics because that would equate it culturally to Brisbane--that kind of equivalence is a no-go zone for most Sydneysiders.
Ok, but seriously Brisbane is literally just a bit short of actual tropical. The thing is that what they call subtropical Australia is literally just very near to tropical, but I see Coffs Harbor because it is literally in middle of tropical climates in north and oceanic in the south. I see the cultural thing, but Brisbane is almost tropical!

Old 04-10-2024, 10:08 AM

I just discovered something, winter averages are almost identical from Mackay to Brisbane, a full 6° latitude difference, Mackay is where tropical climates start there. Literally everywhere from Brisbane to Mackay is borderline to tropical. Even the tropic is transitional rather than tropical climate itself, that discovery is odd!

Old 04-10-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
I just discovered something, winter averages are almost identical from Mackay to Brisbane, a full 6° latitude difference, Mackay is where tropical climates start there. Literally everywhere from Brisbane to Mackay is borderline to tropical. Even the tropic is transitional rather than tropical climate itself, that discovery is odd!
Mackay is an oddball climate which I've never really been able to fully explain. Rockhampton, Gladstone, and Seventeen Seventy are all warmer in winter despite being further south; Gladstone is 18.7°C in July and is almost 2°C warmer in July. Even Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island (right next to Brisbane) is warmer (17.4°C in July).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather