Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
North Carolina 14 51.85%
North Island NZ 10 37.04%
Both in their way 4 14.81%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:52 AM

405 posts, read 81,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Mackay is an oddball climate which I've never really been able to fully explain. Rockhampton, Gladstone, and Seventeen Seventy are all warmer in winter despite being further south; Gladstone is 18.7°C in July and is almost 2°C warmer in July. Even Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island (right next to Brisbane) is warmer (17.4°C in July).
Ok, that makes some tropicals. Brisbane is almost tropical climate I don’t think at all it’s quintessential subtropical, but it is middle of what cultural subtropical Australia is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 11:57 AM

5,723 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Ok, that makes some tropicals. Brisbane is almost tropical climate I don’t think at all it’s quintessential subtropical, but it is middle of what cultural subtropical Australia is.
"Almost tropical" is the Australian definition of subtropical.

I dare say, it's probably the definition used by many (most?) people elsewhere too.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:38 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Quote:
"Almost tropical" is the Australian definition of subtropical.

I dare say, it's probably the definition used by many (most?) people elsewhere too.
I agree.

To a lot of people (who aren't weather nerds) "subtropical" means to them "almost tropical"...
inteview the average person on the street in NYC or even DC and they will say places like
Orlando, Florida ....or maybe Myrtle Beach, South Carolina as being subtropical and not their own city.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 5,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
I agree.

To a lot of people (who aren't weather nerds) "subtropical" means to them "almost tropical"...
inteview the average person on the street in NYC or even DC and they will say places like
Orlando, Florida ....or maybe Myrtle Beach, South Carolina as being subtropical and not their own city.
That’s silly, because that leaves subtropical vegetation like mountain laurel or palmettos or canebrake existing in places that aren’t subtropical or tropical? That essentially makes the continental designation useless.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 5,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Although most local residents say subtropical starts south of Sydney, I’d tend to agree.
Perth, despite being Mediterranean, has yearly means similar to Brisbane too.
On the OP, most of the North Island of NZ is a fairly tepid climate, certainly not classic subtropical.
North Carolina gets my vote, despite its more continental variations.
Just curious, did you cast your vote based on your own viewpoint solely, or was it informed by what you’d read in the thread?

Old 04-10-2024, 02:04 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
That’s silly, because that leaves subtropical vegetation like mountain laurel or palmettos or canebrake existing in places that aren’t subtropical or tropical? That essentially makes the continental designation useless.
What is subtropical vegetation though? Is it vegetation that grows within zones determined by a 19th century climatologist/botanist? Is it vegetation evolved to grow year round? Is it vegetation that needs a warm summer?

Old 04-10-2024, 04:29 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Mackay is an oddball climate which I've never really been able to fully explain. Rockhampton, Gladstone, and Seventeen Seventy are all warmer in winter despite being further south; Gladstone is 18.7°C in July and is almost 2°C warmer in July. Even Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island (right next to Brisbane) is warmer (17.4°C in July).
Some climates can be a bit gimmicky down here, to look more oceanic.
If you lived in Mackay there’s no way you’d find it subtropical and cooler than these further south locations.
The yearly means also look pretty tropical to me.

Old 04-10-2024, 04:53 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesja View Post
Just curious, did you cast your vote based on your own viewpoint solely, or was it informed by what you’d read in the thread?
These are my own opinions, and probably biased as to what most would locally consider subtropical down here.
To me, subtropical starts about halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, where the vegetation changes too.
Bear in mind we simply don’t have or experience continental climates in the Southern Hemisphere.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:00 PM

1,223 posts, read 720,811 times
In Mackay, only July is below the 18C mean ( tropical threshold )
Checking the last 15 years of July's at the Mackay Regional Office, the monthly mean is 18.1c. and 17.7c at the Mackay Airport.
Mackay, in the AU psyche is definitely tropical ( or to those of us from further north 'tropical lite' ).

No one I know thinks Brisbane is 'tropical' ( have worked in Brisbane in winter and sure as hell it wasn't tropical...lol ). very much subtropical in the AU view of these things.

And even the AU BOM describes the climate of Sydney as 'warm temperate oceanic', refraining from using the term 'subtropical'.

This is a pic of the town of Bellingen inland of Coffs Harbour....quintessential AU version of a subtropical climate.
Bellingen, located a 30*S in North Eastern NSW and some 25klm inland from the coast at the foot of the Great Dividing Range. the higher peaks of the Ranges rise over 1500m ( 5.000') and see some winter snowfalls. The lee side of the Ranges are the wettest sites in NSW, with some regions recording 2000mm ( 80")per annum.
The town itself is a former logging village that has transformed itself into a hidden getaway from the heavily populated central coasts ( Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong ).
The Waterfall Way between Armidale and Coffs Harbour is right up there amongst the prettiest drives in Australia.

Last edited by greysrigging; 04-10-2024 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-10-2024, 07:41 PM

397 posts, read 255,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
What is subtropical vegetation though? Is it vegetation that grows within zones determined by a 19th century climatologist/botanist? Is it vegetation evolved to grow year round? Is it vegetation that needs a warm summer?
It's vegetation common to mainly lowland areas 23 degrees to 35 degrees N/S latitude, the geographic subtropics. Some of these places share flora in common with lower latitude tropics and some with cooler mid latitude areas but overall there would be unique ecoregions, like the southeastern yellow pine region or southern Californian chaparral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather