Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think the Tiffany ring I mentioned earlier was something like $30k. My brother-in-law is a managing director on Wall Street, and three months of his salary is way more than that. I don't think spending "three months" really happens very often at all.
To the ordinary working man no as 3 months it's too much, but for your brother in law I'd be surprised if that comes close to a months salary LOL

Good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Meh, the three month salary thing I'm sure was something that the jewelry industry came up with,ain't no way in gods green earth would I spend the equivalent of 3 months salary on a piece of jewelry, that's obscene.

I'm thankful that Mrs. Chow has modest taste, she always seems to like stuff you'd see on Etsy or some site like that, she's more into "natural" type things, but I suppose a big fat azz rock could be considered "natural" too.
3 month salary is very doable for a lot of guys. If you minus taxes, bills, beer, burritos, housing, etc (whatever is left over ) that would roughly equate to $2-10 x 3=

Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
3 month salary is very doable for a lot of guys. If you minus taxes, bills, beer, burritos, housing, etc (whatever is left over ) that would roughly equate to $2-10 x 3=

I think the estimate was "before beer and burritos".

Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

OMG...

...you had me at Ring Pop.

I do.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM

98 posts, read 72,855 times
If I can't tell the difference between a diamond and glass, I'd probably buy her a bigger glass ring. If it's pretty, who cares?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
If I can't tell the difference between a diamond and glass, I'd probably buy her a bigger glass ring. If it's pretty, who cares?
Would you tell her it was glass?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:13 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You certainly have an obsession with the engagement ring threads. And sorry, but you're not that special, and are not in a minority when it come to reciprocity in relationships. No matter how hard you push your agenda to make it seem like women spending money on their men is as rare as unicorns, it isn't
You have an obsession with rings too as you always pop up in these topics as well. People rarely bring those topics up or have threads as long as this one appear every week about women those things, do they? Of course, there are exceptions and those who don’t, so what. Each couple does as they see fit.

Quote:
And like others said, every gesture does not require an immediate quid pro quo.
If I was in a relationship where I didn’t do my part I would certainly use that line. Next time a woman complains that her man doesn’t do house chores we can tell her that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Where do you get that figure? From the "suggestion" in the advertising from ages ago or from something in real life?
Ages ago or not it is something you won’t have to consider anyways, you will get to receive it only and from what we were talking about yesterday it seems like something you consider important to the point of dumping a man with good qualities if he dares himself not to give you that piece of jewelry.

Last edited by onihC; 01-07-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM

98 posts, read 72,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Would you tell her it was glass?
- I don't advocate lieing and would not do that.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:19 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
- I don't advocate lieing and would not do that.
You could always go for cubic zirconia.

That way you could tell her with 100% honesty, "It's not glass."

Last edited by JerZ; 01-07-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:25 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

If I was in a relationship where I didn’t do my part I would certainly use that line.
And, if I was in a relationship where someone felt that I "should" be giving them gifts of equal value, or splitting things down the middle, or any other tripe of the sort, I would definitely be using that line as I said goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Next time a woman complains that her man doesn’t do house chores we can tell her that.
I don't see any reason why "we" wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings