Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 01:38 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Yeah, not sure if I would feel I am with the right person if she demanded or expected an expensive shiny ring. I would not do it either. Would you get married if you only got a band or no ring at all?
I actually have no desire to marry again. But if for some reason I changed my mind (say I fell and hit my head,)...I already wear a beautiful diamond band on my left ring finger, that I bought myself years ago. I would continue to wear that, so no I would not be concerned about a ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
And engagement ring is supposed to be a gift of love. If the both of you are happier expressing your love in other ways - then that's what you should do. But if you are resentful about buying a ring or are using it as some sort of test - then you probably aren't with the right person.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
And engagement ring is supposed to be a gift of love. If the both of you are happier expressing your love in other ways - then that's what you should do. But if you are resentful about buying a ring or are using it as some sort of test - then you probably aren't with the right person.
Yup. Exactly right.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
However, you two have been married a while and "survived" the whole raising a child time in your lives. You two were also financially aware enough that children cost a lot of money and thus made good practical choices in life. You've probably also settled down a bit.. probably bought a home. Hopefully with all of this time, you are also more financially secure. In other words, you prioritized....

Yeh.. I wouldn't see buying a fun car at this time in your lives as a problem. Buying a fun car at the beginning of your marriage, I still think it would be a naive decision... no different from buying an expensive ring.

You also don't expect your husband to buy you a Camaro a contingency on marriage.... a bit different from expecting an engagement ring for a marriage to happen.

PS> I just bought a car for my wife... a Minivan. Ugh. Having 3 young kids myself... I say you deserve a fun car!
That's all true, except we didn't always make the best financial decisions, I'm afraid. Maybe my scenario is more along the lines of "upgrading" her ring. I wholeheartedly agree that having unrealistic expectations, spending outside one's budget, or accepting a marriage proposal based on ring size are all terrible. I won't go so far as to say expecting any kind of ring is unrealistic or unreasonable, despite my not having one, because they are a very normal part of our culture. I do think it's pretty ludicrous how spendiness is foisted on us through commercials and advertising, like the $600+ earrings I saw marketed as "stocking stuffers" thid Christmas.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
like the $600+ earrings I saw marketed as "stocking stuffers" thid Christmas.
Good grief!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
And engagement ring is supposed to be a gift of love.
I've been curious...in the spirt of gift giving during this joyous time for a future union, what does the man get from the woman in return to show her love for him?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:27 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I've been curious...in the spirt of gift giving during this joyous time for a future union, what does the man get from the woman in return to show her love for him?
No nagging for a week.

Just KIDDING.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:28 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
no nagging for a week.

Just kidding.
lmao!!! :d

Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Everyone is different. Some want expensive rings while others don't and for a variety of reasons. Some view it as a status symbol while others view it as a symbol of love and affection.

Years ago I used to be the only male working in a corporate office with roughly 8 women. And each of those 8 women knew 8 other women working within the same company who's husbands were executives. All year long, I'd hear them gossiping about the drama going on with all these other women they knew in the company. And it never failed, birthday's, Valentine's Day, Christmas, and anniversaries women would come into the office to show off the diamonds, gold, etc. etc. what their executive husband or boyfriend gave them. The very interesting thing I learned from this experience of hearing all the daily gossip throughout the year and seeing who got what type of jewelry "treasures", the women who got the most expensive diamonds, gold, etc. etc. were the women who's husbands were either wrapped up with cheating on them or having a hard time keeping from cheating on them. In that situation it was like the diamonds, gold, etc. etc. were used as a marriage/relationship negotiation/bargaining tool of sorts, or a justification as to why the woman hasn't left the guy for cheating on her, because he gives her expensive jewelry. That's just one example. Some women view it as a tool to gauge one's success.

The bottom line for me is I don't mind spending a ton of dough on a rock if that's what she really wants, just as long as she wants it for the right reason(s). But that's just me as I tend to provide extraordinary high amounts of efforts making my woman happy simply because she truly appreciates everything that I do for her.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
*crickets*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings