Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Some guys on here don't understand that if you are actually with someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with - chances are that you are on the same page in terms of rings. And chances are that you will actually WANT to make them happy. It's hard to understand with a hypothetical girlfriend. Although I don't really understand why the hypothetical girlfriend is always some high maintenance princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Some guys on here don't understand that if you are actually with someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with - chances are that you are on the same page in terms of rings. And chances are that you will actually WANT to make them happy. It's hard to understand with a hypothetical girlfriend. Although I don't really understand why the hypothetical girlfriend is always some high maintenance princess.
That's why marriages are down. The reality is the push for equality has to be a balancing act. Currently females have all the momentum while still maintaining all the traditional benefits. That can't happen if they want true equality. Many guys just not gonna give in and will only have marriage less relationships until there is balance.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's why marriages are down. The reality is the push for equality has to be a balancing act. Currently females have all the momentum while still maintaining all the traditional benefits. That can't happen if they want true equality. Many guys just not gonna give in and will only have marriage less relationships until there is balance.
Wanting equal rights under the law is not the same thing as wanting a gender free relationship. And wanting to be equal is not the same thing as wanting to be a man.

When I look at my peers, most people are getting married. They are getting married later in life than people used to but they are still getting married. And now my gay friends are getting married, too. And a lot of them are buying engagement rings, too.

If you resent women - then simply don't have relationships with them. If you don't want to get married - then don't get married. If you don't want to buy an engagement ring - then don't buy one. These things are all CHOICES. You have the freedom to CHOOSE. Nobody is FORCED into buying an engagement ring. If you are resentful about buying a ring - then chances are you are with the wrong person to begin with.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

When I look at my peers, most people are getting married. They are getting married later in life than people used to but they are still getting married. And now my gay friends are getting married, too. And a lot of them are buying engagement rings, too..
Same.

I'm among those getting married later in life. And LOADS of my gay friends are getting married, now that they no longer have to leave the state to do so or move to get it recognized. Although they're not diamond-loving ladies, for the most part, they're still getting their wives jewelry that suits them.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Pay what you can afford. Very simple principle. My kid's know of someone who got married with a cubic zirconia, both are starving artists, so that was ok. I didn't care for the ring, my mom gave my husband a small ring for the engagement because she thought ring was a waste of money. When my husband told his mom, she insisted that he bought me a ring. It was a huge ring, to be honest it was to impress my secretary, who was into that sort of thing, but the ring is now in a safe deposit box. My husband and I don't wear rings, who cares about rings. We still have one excellent marriage. So it's not the ring. It's the marriage. It's who have your backs and vice versa.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I truly don't get the point of spending money on jewelry that isn't going to even be worn.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I truly don't get the point of spending money on jewelry that isn't going to even be worn.
It happens all the time. People change. The ring is bulky. Did I say it was huge.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It happens all the time. People change. The ring is bulky. Did I say it was huge.
I told my husband that I didn't want anything bigger than a karat. I didn't care if it was tiny - I just didn't want anything too big. I have really small hands. I almost never take my rings off and neither does he. In fact, that's how he lost his first ring - he never took it off and it fell into a lake!

Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I told my husband that I didn't want anything bigger than a karat. I didn't care if it was tiny - I just didn't want anything too big. I have really small hands. I almost never take my rings off and neither does he. In fact, that's how he lost his first ring - he never took it off and it fell into a lake!
My husband and I were idiots when it came to jewelry shopping. I have small fingers too. But we went shopping on our own, so we were proud of the fact we didn't get cheated.
But my mom and my MIL lost their wedding rings so we have family history to prove that it's not safe to wear them.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Engagement ring is the hidden marriage tax that's all. While guys just want to get it over with so we can pick something more important like a down payment to a house.

That's what I did, told my wife back then I have money for either house or ring and honeymoon. She picked house. Eventually we got a ring and mini honeymoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings