Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 PM

18 posts, read 111,321 times

Advertisements

Well Three Run, it seems we would get along splendidly then! My momma used to cook the groundhogs I shot with my 22s. I would skin/clean em and she knew just how to serve em up. She made mushroom gravy along with buttermilk biscuits! I tell you what.......I had been here in texas for five years or so and went home to vacation. She told my wife I was gone too much. I was in the woods the first three days....reliving my childhood. I will prolly do it again when I return after retirement in a few years. lol.....hope so! I brought her TWO whistlepigs ....she prepared both of them and I sat down and ate almost ALL of them! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...Now venison....I usually shoot a deer or two every year and mix hog with it to make deer/pig sausage. Are you a fan of breakfast sausage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 PM

19,770 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickhillbilly View Post
Well Three Run, it seems we would get along splendidly then! Are you a fan of breakfast sausage?
Me??? Nahhhh... I hate the stuff.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM

19,770 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Do you like smoked venison bratwurst cut with fresh pork?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
If anyone raids that bratwurst smoker...it was me! ha ha ha...I'll be looking for smoke next time I'm near Blake...

as for those dressed hogs...reminds me of Thanksgiving when I was a kid...thanks..

Mamaw Kennedy canned everything but the squeal, can see her sitting on that high work-stool frying the sausage and the hot rendered lard was poured over it in the jars...those were times of great thanksgiving...

Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,314 times
Thumbs up Wv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Why doesn't everyone live in WV? Because they don't know any better and don't know what they are missing!
Amen to that. Looking forward to WV!

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-08-2008 at 12:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Best Kept Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Because it's WEST VIRGINIA. The stigma alone keeps people from considering it. In my opinion, it's the best kept secret in the country. We searched for over 3 years to find a place to move to, drove through WV enroute to KY to look at land there, when **SLAP!** - we looked around and said "why not WV?!" With the low property taxes and relatively low price tag, it was unbeatable. My wife is a BSN/RN, there are more jobs that people to fill them.

If you're looking for simple living, great people, and peace & quiet, WV is for you.
Best Kept Secret is WV!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
That's why I said that compared to Chattanooga, Charleston is much slower paced.

There is only ONE reason Chattanooga thrives as well as it does. Ok - three: Atlanta, Nashville, and Knoxville. All three of those cities are 1 1.5 to 2 hour drive to downtown Chattanooga, placing literally millions of potential "day and weekend" tourists in their lap. There are even people in Atlanta who got fed up with the city who moved to the Southern suburbs of Chattanooga for a slower way of life with good tourist stuff to do, and make the commute every day into Atlanta for work.

I live on the West metro side of Atlanta. It's commonplace for people on my side of town to drive up to Chattanooga for the day since our downtown is filled with bums and the traffic is hell to get to the city. So, we go up there for a Saturday - and we're not alone. They get TONS of $$ from people in all three of the cities listed who like to see the Aquarium, riverfront park area, etc. (all built from those tourist dollars). If Atlanta and Nashville specifically were to disappear into a black hole, I'd give Chattanooga maybe a couple of years before it would be a ghost town. They completely rely on these two major markets plus some smaller ones not far away, for their city income.

By contrast, Charleston has NONE of that. You have Pittsburgh and Columbus but they're not as I said a "day trip" distance away. People can't come down to Charleston from those larger areas in the morning, just to spend the day doing touristy things (if there were any major ones), and then get back home later that same afternoon. It's too far. Nothing's going to change that - you can't move Charleston or create a big city that's closer filled with potential tourists. So, Charleston will forever be the "quiet half-sister" to Chattanooga, who looks the same, is the same size, but has LOTS more mouth and money.

But that's not always a bad thing. Charleston also won't have the traffic Chattanooga gets due to all of these people traveling through (and they get a LOT of traffic). They also won't get the spillover crime that they get from Atlanta (yes, our crooks actually drive up there to do stuff). So, you miss out on some of the bad too... and some folks WANT a more laid back and quiet tone to a town. If you want Ra-Ra-Excitement all the time, no, Charleston probably 'aint it. But if you want an overall nice, relatively laid back place in a great natural location - it's a good pick.
Why do people want to leave WV all of the time? How much excitement do they want or need? I thought WV was slow paced. Do they expect to drive to another state and back within a day or even a few hours? I live in LA County, CA. It is a 2 hour drive to San Diego, a 2 hour drive to Palm Springs, a 4 hour drive to Las Vegas, NV, a 6 hour drive to Phoenix, AZ and a 10 hour drive to San Francisco. Hardly day trips. More like weekend getaways or vacations. I want to live in a place where people are more relaxed and enjoy the simple things in life. BBQ's, picnics at each other 's homes or an afternoon in the park. Not leaving every chance they get to spend and lose more $, and feed their addictions. Southern California has the great weather and resources to enjoy the simple things like I just mentioned. But, they would rather spend their time away from the ghetto or wherever they live, to go out of town. The price of gas these days, you think they would try to enjoy their lives here more.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Question Not in the mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
See I've been to West Virginia a few times and it was always such breathtaking land. I loved the countryside up by Wheeling. I wouldn't mind living in a mountain town but because of family I have to hold on for a little bit. I think the fact that West Virginia isn't always thought of as an ideal place is great! Keep it nice and rural, I wish I could say Wisconsin was still like that.

Take Care everyone and keep your beautiful state, beautiful!
Are there any cities in the central or west part of the state that are not in the Appalacian Mountains besides Huntington?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Huntington is actually still considered Appalachian. The whole entire state of WV is Appalachian as well as parts of KY, OH, PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, NC, GA, NY, and maybe even a few others. My mind gets kind of fuzzy at 3:30 AM. ha ha

Old 09-08-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Huntington is actually still considered Appalachian. The whole entire state of WV is Appalachian as well as parts of KY, OH, PA, MD, VA, NC, SC, NC, GA, NY, and maybe even a few others. My mind gets kind of fuzzy at 3:30 AM. ha ha
Thanks. I thought that the elevation in Huntington is 548 ft. or something like that. So, I didn't think it was high in the Apalachian Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia