Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Most people aren't going to be able to work the graveyard hours on B. I'm sort of the opposite and don't think I could get up for a 6 am job. So I would pick B, but it really depends on the person and what hours they're comfortable with. I would think that's the deciding factor over a dollar difference in wage.

The pay difference also depends on the base wage. So if one job is paying $50/hour and the other is paying $51/hour, that's only a 2% difference. But if the jobs are $8 versus $7, that's over a 10% difference and becomes a more important factor.
1500 a year difference at Job A vs Job B.

Job A is delivering products in a box truck to new home constructions that there heating and plumbing people install. have a dolly for the heavier stuff, average brute lifting is 5 to 30 lbs so lifting wont be a problem.

Job B is working at a pharmacy as a lab assistant/driver. spend the first 4 hrs testing, packing, labeling, loading the medicine. spend the next half delivering to hospitals and clinics. more thinking involved, drive basic escape or fusion. they need to deliver as soon as the material is produced, since its nuclear and deteriorates as time goes by.

bout 5 mile difference, Job B being closer to Job a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 133,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
1500 a year difference at Job A vs Job B.

Job A is delivering products in a box truck to new home constructions that there heating and plumbing people install. have a dolly for the heavier stuff, average brute lifting is 5 to 30 lbs so lifting wont be a problem.

Job B is working at a pharmacy as a lab assistant/driver. spend the first 4 hrs testing, packing, labeling, loading the medicine. spend the next half delivering to hospitals and clinics. more thinking involved, drive basic escape or fusion. they need to deliver as soon as the material is produced, since its nuclear and deteriorates as time goes by.

bout 5 mile difference, Job B being closer to Job a.
Definitely Job A.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:55 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,032,046 times
See, I wouldn't consider job A to be outside work. It's a driver's position for the most part. Outside to me would be like switching cars out in a railyard all day in sleet, snow, and rain or under a beating sun.

I picked job A before you told what it was and now that you told, I would still go with A, no doubt about it. Graveyard shifts mess up your body's normal routine big time. And for less $$$? No way Jose.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
After reading the job details, I like Job B a lot more than Job A.

Job B likely would give you good experience for future pharmacy/lab/medical related positions with higher pay. Maybe a better career choice for long term growth.

I don't like the part about driving a box truck for Job A. Or the part about delivering the heavy loads that would require a dolly.

Construction is a lot more cyclical than medical/lab/pharmacy.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
After reading the job details, I like Job B a lot more than Job A.

Job B likely would give you good experience for future pharmacy/lab/medical related positions with higher pay. Maybe a better career choice for long term growth.

I don't like the part about driving a box truck for Job A. Or the part about delivering the heavy loads that would require a dolly.

Construction is a lot more cyclical than medical/lab/pharmacy.

with job b, i can become a pharmacy technician down the line, but i have no interest in that. neither of these jobs are career jobs for me, they are a job of necessity as i am unemployed.

i did ask about construction industry and what happens during down turns, but they said they have never had downtime outside of once in march/april a few years ago, but that was just for 2 months and they worked 6 hrs instead of 8.

another thing i like is they said i could be working from 8-10 hrs per day, which means OT.

job B there is some OT as well. job B you are also on call one week every 6-7 weeks.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM

143 posts, read 385,519 times
Job B. Sounds much more secure than A and who knows, you may actually decide you like the pharmacy and move on to be a tech.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Job A.
pay: 1 dollar per hour more then Job B
schedule: 6 AM-2:30 PM M-F
health and vacation accrual after 90 days, 401k after first year.
outside work environment

Job B
pay: 1 per hour less then Job A
schedule: 12:00 AM-8:30 AM M-F
health and vacation accrual immediately, 401k immediate.
mix of inside/outside work environment.
Depends...

1) What stage of life are you in? Teenager? Adult? Parent?

2) Prospects. If you're getting paid by the hour, I'd have to ask if you see this as a 'career' or as a 'job'. If you think you can make a career out of it, I'd pay no attention to the starting pay and focus more on where you think you'll be with either company a few years down the road

3) Quality of experience. If you see this as a job rather than a career, you need to figure out how valuable / transferable the experience you get will be. Once again, I've seldom focused on the actual pay of my jobs but instead focus on the long term benefit. One of my best jobs was an unpaid internship where I worked my tail off for the summer and learned enough to carry me into my current career. Don't sell yourself short over $40 a week

Old 11-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Depends...

1) What stage of life are you in? Teenager? Adult? Parent?

2) Prospects. If you're getting paid by the hour, I'd have to ask if you see this as a 'career' or as a 'job'. If you think you can make a career out of it, I'd pay no attention to the starting pay and focus more on where you think you'll be with either company a few years down the road

3) Quality of experience. If you see this as a job rather than a career, you need to figure out how valuable / transferable the experience you get will be. Once again, I've seldom focused on the actual pay of my jobs but instead focus on the long term benefit. One of my best jobs was an unpaid internship where I worked my tail off for the summer and learned enough to carry me into my current career. Don't sell yourself short over $40 a week
1. adult, 29.
2. i see this as a job, not a career.
3. i know i dont want to be a pharmacy tech, and i dont think i want to be a driver the rest of my life, although in the back of my head ive thought about getting a class A.

ideally i want to go back to school and get on a career track. for what? i dont know right now.

i just want to be 100 percent when i go back to school so i dont end up like the kid at mcdonalds making 9 an hour with some pointless degree 50 thou in debt.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Really? How about job C, CEO 500k per year. The point of the question is obviously to decide between the two options and nothing else is available at the time.
He provided so little detail. It's pointless to choose. There is no way to tell which one pays more, for example.

The 401k immediate match and the $1/hr more is meaningless without the actual base rate and match amount. A 6% match on a $300/week would be an extra $18/week. An extra $1 would be an extra $40/week. The compensation is higher in Job B. If there is a 6% match on a $1300/week would be an extra $78 week. It's nearly double the extra $1.

There are a multitude of factors that would affect such a decision.

A short lackluster description of job choices provides only enough data for a short lackluster answer.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He provided so little detail. It's pointless to choose. There is no way to tell which one pays more, for example.

The 401k immediate match and the $1/hr more is meaningless without the actual base rate and match amount. A 6% match on a $300/week would be an extra $18/week. An extra $1 would be an extra $40/week. The compensation is higher in Job B. If there is a 6% match on a $1300/week would be an extra $78 week. It's nearly double the extra $1.

There are a multitude of factors that would affect such a decision.

A short lackluster description of job choices provides only enough data for a short lackluster answer.
forget the 401k, which one do you think is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment