Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,887,236 times

Advertisements

6:20-2:30 allows you to make something of daylight/normal business hours. overnight shift is awful IMO.

How much is the 401k worth? I have a 401k at my job, but it's not worth anything (no employer contribution).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,846,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
6:20-2:30 allows you to make something of daylight/normal business hours. overnight shift is awful IMO.

How much is the 401k worth? I have a 401k at my job, but it's not worth anything (no employer contribution).
50 percent on the first 6.

i am unsure about job a, but they say on there site they have excellent benefits.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,538,353 times
The 401k match is probably worthless(or mostly worthless) unless you stay at that job several years to be vested for the match. Most 401Ks give your full match after 5 years service and after 2 years you probably get to keep either 20 or 40% of the match.

I could see the pharmacy related job being more likely to be good experience on a resume in the future (if you decide to go to college for unknown major). You see, most college majors are office/business related work of some type and the pharmacy/lab/medical would likely be more valuable experience on the resume. Box delivery of construction eqpt is somewhat brainless type of work that wouldn't be as valuable on your resume once you get your degree. Unless your degree is in construction management. Even then, delivery person without hands on experience is probably worthless on the resume. But if you decide to go into trucking or delivery/transport type work, then the box truck could come in handy.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
If not for the hours job B. 401k and benefits available immediately is a big plus. Especially if the job ends before a year. Of course neither will tell you how long the job will last.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM

501 posts, read 802,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Job A.
pay: 1 dollar per hour more then Job B
schedule: 6 AM-2:30 PM M-F
health and vacation accrual after 90 days, 401k after first year.
outside work environment

Job B
pay: 1 per hour less then Job A
schedule: 12:00 AM-8:30 AM M-F
health and vacation accrual immediately, 401k immediate.
mix of inside/outside work environment.
Job B

Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,177,175 times
Quote:
Job A.
pay: 1 dollar per hour more then Job B
schedule: 6 AM-2:30 PM M-F
health and vacation accrual after 90 days, 401k after first year.
outside work environment

Job B
pay: 1 per hour less then Job A
schedule: 12:00 AM-8:30 AM M-F
health and vacation accrual immediately, 401k immediate.
mix of inside/outside work environment.
I think there are a lot of other things you must consider (see below), but based strictly on what you posted, I'd take job A, because it pays more per hour and offers better hours (assuming both jobs will be a steady 40 hour work week, every week).

How likely are you to earn bonuses, raises, and promotions at each?
Can you work overtime if you want to?
Is there the likelihood of mandatory overtime, or of being scheduled for less than 40 hours per week?
Do either offer the ability to pay for insurance with pre-tax dollars?
Does either offer a better employer match on 401(k) contributions, and does either offer the option of a Roth 401(k)?
How financially stable is each employer, and where do they expect to be (in terms of market share & profitability) in 1/5/10 years?
What is the corporate culture at each?
Would you mind working outside only, or do you have a strong preference for the mix of inside & outside work?
Will either employer require you to pay for company expenses with your personal credit card, and then apply for reimbursement?

I also think you need to consider how these jobs will affect your lifestyle, such as:
Do you have a family that wants/needs you home during certain hours?
How bad will the commute be for each job (financially, and in terms of stress)?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I think there are a lot of other things you must consider (see below), but based strictly on what you posted, I'd take job A, because it pays more per hour and offers better hours (assuming both jobs will be a steady 40 hour work week, every week).

How likely are you to earn bonuses, raises, and promotions at each?

Can you work overtime if you want to? Overtime is required at Job A, no problem. Job B is on call with occasional OT.

Is there the likelihood of mandatory overtime, or of being scheduled for less than 40 hours per week?

Answered in first question.

Do either offer the ability to pay for insurance with pre-tax dollars?

Job B has an HSA, I know nothing about Job A benefits, outside of being described as excellent.

Does either offer a better employer match on 401(k) contributions, and does either offer the option of a Roth 401(k)?

Don't know.

How financially stable is each employer, and where do they expect to be (in terms of market share & profitability) in 1/5/10 years?

Job A is a small local owned company. Job B is in a small office, but its a national company that is one of the big 3 in its field.

What is the corporate culture at each?

There is no corporate culture at either.

Would you mind working outside only, or do you have a strong preference for the mix of inside & outside work?

I prefer working outside and not being at a desk all day. Both jobs give me that freedom I want.

Will either employer require you to pay for company expenses with your personal credit card, and then apply for reimbursement?

No

I also think you need to consider how these jobs will affect your lifestyle, such as:
Do you have a family that wants/needs you home during certain hours?

No family

How bad will the commute be for each job (financially, and in terms of stress)?
4.5 miles further with Job A.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,079,691 times
I think it'd depend on you and what you need.

Do you need health insurance straight away? Can you wait the 3 months (either without or by paying into COBRA)? 90 days is typical, so for me, either would work.

As for wages, does the amount in Job B include a shift adjustment (typically companies pay a bit more if you're working a non-day shift)? If so, and you wanted to go to a regular day shift, would you lose that extra money?

Do you like working outside?

Are you a night owl? Can you make that 6:30 start time?

For myself, I'd choose Job B.
When the bene's kick in wouldn't make any difference. Wage could make a difference, but what makes/breaks it for me is the start time. 6:30am would be very difficult for me. VERY. I'd probably take the midnight shift since my natural clock wants to sleep during the day. And I wouldn't want to be outside all the time.

ETA: After reading the details of each job, I'd definitely rather have Job B. But then again, I prefer lab type stuff to construction type stuff.

Oh, and if you have no job and need a job, then I assume you need money. If it's all about the money, Job A with the $1 more and OT is a better bet. If it's not all about the money, me, I'd go for B, seems easier so I could focus on other things. Also, with Job B, you can go to school during the ENTIRE day (which means, you probably can get any classes you need, versus with A, you'd have to go in the later afternoon and evening - at Uni's that means it's harder to get classes).

Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I think it'd depend on you and what you need.

Do you need health insurance straight away? Can you wait the 3 months (either without or by paying into COBRA)? 90 days is typical, so for me, either would work.

As for wages, does the amount in Job B include a shift adjustment (typically companies pay a bit more if you're working a non-day shift)? If so, and you wanted to go to a regular day shift, would you lose that extra money?

Do you like working outside?

Are you a night owl? Can you make that 6:30 start time?

For myself, I'd choose Job B.
When the bene's kick in wouldn't make any difference. Wage could make a difference, but what makes/breaks it for me is the start time. 6:30am would be very difficult for me. VERY. I'd probably take the midnight shift since my natural clock wants to sleep during the day. And I wouldn't want to be outside all the time.

ETA: After reading the details of each job, I'd definitely rather have Job B. But then again, I prefer lab type stuff to construction type stuff.

Oh, and if you have no job and need a job, then I assume you need money. If it's all about the money, Job A with the $1 more and OT is a better bet. If it's not all about the money, me, I'd go for B, seems easier so I could focus on other things. Also, with Job B, you can go to school during the ENTIRE day (which means, you probably can get any classes you need, versus with A, you'd have to go in the later afternoon and evening - at Uni's that means it's harder to get classes).

Health insurance right now isnt what I need and isn't a big perk, so no thats not importan now.

no wage adjustment, that is the wage.

i like working outside. but like i said, ill get that at both jobs, job a is just more outside then job b.

i can adjust my schedule. ive always preferred the morning shift.

i wish i could try both jobs, then decide.

actually supposed to start at both tomorrow.

job a at 6:00 am, then train at job b starting at 8:00 am for the first 3 days, then switch to midnight after thanksgiving.

what ill probably do is this. i was leaning job a, so i'll go there tomorrow at 6. if i get a sense after the first 1.5 hrs that i like it, i'll stay with them.

if i dont, then ill leave and go for job b and stick with that one.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,079,691 times
Quote:

if i dont, then ill leave and go for job b and stick with that one.
Actually, I think you'd be stuck with that one if you cut out of Job A. Good luck. Having two prospects is better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment