Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times

Advertisements

LOL

A couple years ago, myself and another engineer worked as co-managers on a project. People picked up pretty quickly that if they wanted time off I always say yes and the other guy always say no. So, they always came to me.

One time we went out to lunch with other project managers and our boss from corporate. The other guy while joking around brought up the fact that everybody in our team always went to me for time off because I always said yes. We all had a good laugh about it. I think it was his way of complaining to our boss.

No biggie, though, considering he's no longer with us and I got a promotion LOL.

Personally, I don't understand why some managers give people a hard time regarding time off. My philosophy is a happy worker is a productive worker. I can always have someone else cover the work temporarily.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Might not work in your scenario, but I'd call in sick.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope it all works out.

Calling in sick for a day you were denied vacation would potentially get you fired.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If your priorities are such that a friends wedding means more to you than a job....And, you choose to try an ultimatum to get your way then you've made your choice and be prepared to live with that.

You may want to give some thought to what you'll say when in future job interviews you are asked why you left this job so soon.
The OP is in the wedding party. She made a commitment before the job, reasonably asked about it before accepting the job, and then was told that she couldn’t take the time off only after she’d quit her other job and taken this one. She has also said that she’s more than willing to take time off unpaid.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This type of corporate attitude is exactly why I started my own business and work for myself. I have a life outside of working. Life is short and I'm sure in the hell not going to kowtow to some faceless HR policy in place of spending precious time with my family and friends.
Say it again. Say it again.

I’m wondering if her time off falls within the 90 day probationary period that some companies have. In those cases, there’s usually a strict no time off - no missed days policy for that time period. I had it at my last company, even as a salaried employee. Even still, I needed 2 days off for a certification class that happened to be job-related that I had paid for in advance and then another 2 days for a pre-planned trip a month after hire. They told me they would just count it against the time off I would accumulate and that was that.

Very shady and I agree that it doesn’t bode well for future treatment. I understand the frustration. Go through all the song and dance, get the job, and then have to do it all over again.

I have an upcoming trip in June just before my graduation and again in November, one needing 3 days off and another needing 4. I’m hoping it won’t be a problem for any employers I interview with and I definitely hope not to experience this kind of situation.

Sorry you’re going through this, OP.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Go to the wedding. Jobs are replaceable.

How important is your job tasks that they can't get another to cover for? Are you in a special trade?certified? Or licensed?
Heck, even brain surgeons and rocket scientists get vacation time.

Some of these companies take themselves way too "seriously" (if that's the right word). Everything is an emergency. Everything has to be done RIGHT NOW. When in all reality, it doesn't.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If your priorities are such that a friends wedding means more to you than a job....And, you choose to try an ultimatum to get your way then you've made your choice and be prepared to live with that.

You may want to give some thought to what you'll say when in future job interviews you are asked why you left this job so soon.
IF I was asked about it I'd say something like, "Shortly after beginning my stint at this company, I, unfortunately, found out my ethics and their business practices didn't align so I chose to part ways."

Old 03-21-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
LOL

A couple years ago, myself and another engineer worked as co-managers on a project. People picked up pretty quickly that if they wanted time off I always say yes and the other guy always say no. So, they always came to me.

One time we went out to lunch with other project managers and our boss from corporate. The other guy while joking around brought up the fact that everybody in our team always went to me for time off because I always said yes. We all had a good laugh about it. I think it was his way of complaining to our boss.

No biggie, though, considering he's no longer with us and I got a promotion LOL.

Personally, I don't understand why some managers give people a hard time regarding time off. My philosophy is a happy worker is a productive worker. I can always have someone else cover the work temporarily.
I've had supervisors like you. I always gave 200% for my supervisors who had this attitude. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

You let me take time off throughout the year and the time I'm there I will perform and perform well. Wish more managers understood this.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
^^ This was one of the reasons I went out on my own. If I had been treated that way I probably would have retired from the company I worked at for 22 years. I finally got tired of working my butt off then getting grief over time off and lousy raises.

One of my best memories of that company was the look on my bosses face (and the cuss word he said) when I handed him the envelope with his name on it. It wasn't like it should have been a surprise. I'd been telling him for a couple of years that if things didn't change I was going to leave.

My satisfaction level went through the roof when I was told later they had to hire two people to replace me. I guess a decent raise for me might have been more cost effective.

And starting a one-man consulting firm was amazing. The difference in attitude between the company I had worked for and the new clients I found was night and day. As was mine.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
OP, No matter what you decide on the wedding, seek a new employer ASAP.

The current one, having started as a horrific place to work, will always remain a horrific place to work.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
OP, No matter what you decide on the wedding, seek a new employer ASAP.

The current one, having started as a horrific place to work, will always remain a horrific place to work.
Haha, why is it horrific? Someone there for a week is asking for days off?

Finish probation and training, then ask again once they know they will keep you, it takes longer to hire/train someone so they will give a few days off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment