Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

It looks like the Australian posters have all but abandoned this thread.. Its now 'some' Americans trying to convince Canadians about how much our weather sucks, how much our beaches suck and how unenlighened we are that we haven't seen 'the way'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The is the reality for those of us who live in the real world having to make a real living ie.. those of us who aren't teenagers or partying away their College years and have graduated to the point in life called 'adulthood'..
Truth be told... I do manage to find time for a drink on the deck and a dip in the pool four or five nights a week from May to mid-September, but my summer family schedule is much more relaxed than fall and winter with school, activities and everything else.

We used to manage the odd weeknight skiing outing a few years ago, but now the kids have gotten older and have more homework and activities so we're limited to weekends for skiing, skating, etc.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Truth be told... I do manage to find time for a drink on the deck and a dip in the pool four or five nights a week from May to mid-September, but my summer family schedule is much more relaxed than fall and winter with school, activities and everything else.

We used to manage the odd weeknight skiing outing a few years ago, but now the kids have gotten older and have more homework and activities so we're limited to weekends for skiing, skating, etc.
I find the holiday season crazy!! Work is always busier with everyone trying to complete projects by year end for fresh start to the New Year, coupled with Christmas shopping/parties etc... Having kids I could only imagine what one would be going through... I guess this isn't just relegated to Canada either

Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I am not generally a rah-rah-pro-Canada type as fusion and others know, and I don't generally dispute the harshness of Canadian winters. But one thing that the Canadian climate does offer is variety.

I mean, the same backyard behind my house which has kids bundled up and skating on ice in February, barely more two months later has those same kids running around in bikinis and jumping in the pool.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
As someone who lived a year in a subtropical climate (the south of China) and loved the weather, the truth is I hated almost everything else about it - the crowds, pollution, people constantly trying to scam me and poor working conditions to name a few things. Sometimes life is really NOT about the weather and other things like general QOL are more important.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Every beach is different and has different seasons when they are best. For Saturno to suggest that Vancouver beaches aren't beaches is ridiculous.

Being content with what you have is the key here.....you always try to cling on the official definition.....yes technically they are "beaches"....are what is generally accepted all over the world as good beaches??...no, never.....but you can be free to live in your little bubble reality...very few Seattlelites would claim that beaches around Seattle are nice to live or that the weather is actually nice and pleasant on average.

Quote:
For swimming ( and yes I DO swim in Vancouver in summer ) some beaches are obviously better because the water is warmer.

You do swim in Vancouver sea waters huh?? Would love to see you doing that...how long you stay in the water?? Ohh yes I see people in swim trunks after sunset laying on the beach in the Northwest...

Planet earth to Natnasci: Even in summer, in Vancouver or Seattle you often need a light jacket on top of clothing at night especially with a whiff of wind.

Quote:
but you can't walk your dog with the salt air blowing cold in your face, followed by a thermos of hot chocolate in Honolulu.

Well it all depends if what you just described is something that can be generally considered pleasant...all matter of perspective my friend....

You are one of the true believers...you really love to live in that climate and we understand that....there are a lot of people that LOVE to live in Alaska, it's almost considered a promise land, love the weather, the sense of adventure, etc......that does not mean that Alaska climate is generally considered pleasant....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-04-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
`
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Being content with what you have is the key here.....you always try to cling on the official definition.....yes technically they are "beaches"....are what is generally accepted all over the world as good beaches??...no, never.....but you can be free to live in your little bubble reality...very few Seattlelites would claim that beaches around Seattle are nice to live or that the weather is actually nice and pleasant on average.

OK progress, you've moved from " sandbars to beaches ".

No one is claiming that Vancouver is a tropical isle.

I don't understand why you just can't accept the fact that Vancouver has some beautiful beaches that people love and enjoy.

My responses have been to dismiss the notion that Vancouver beaches don't deserve some praise just because they aren't sunbathing meccas all year long.

You do swim in Vancouver sea waters huh?? Would love to see you doing that...how long you stay in the water?? Ohh yes I see people in swim trunks after sunset laying on the beach in the Northwest...

Yes, I do swim in the water, as do many others. As for sunset and the beach, of course. A lot of people are still at the beach, English Bay and Sunset for example, because they live right across the street. I did for years. Pssst..if you head down to certain beaches..like Third Beach...you'll find people skinny-dipping at night!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUgHRjjP08

Planet earth to Natnasci: Even in summer, in Vancouver or Seattle you often need a light jacket on top of clothing at night especially with a whiff of wind.

Planet earth to Saturno. Even in Summer in Vancouver you often DON'T need a light jacket....

Well it all depends if what you just described is something that can be generally considered pleasant...all matter of perspective my friend....

You are one of the true believers...you really love to live in that climate and we understand that....there are a lot of people that LOVE to live in Alaska, it's almost considered a promise land, love the weather, the sense of adventure, etc......that does not mean that Alaska climate is generally considered pleasant....

Again pleasant is very personal. I actually love Vancouver's beaches because they are usable all year depending on what activity you like to do. There aren't, of course, as many people on the beaches in winter, but there are people nearby walking by them on the seawall etc. Access to beaches in Vancouver is another thing that I love about. For people living in downtown Seattle, it much harder to just walk to a beach, like you can here.

This video isn't taken in summer, but it's kind of fun drone video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1ktsr-J8Q

Old 12-04-2014, 06:21 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It looks like the Australian posters have all but abandoned this thread.. Its now 'some' Americans trying to convince Canadians about how much our weather sucks, how much our beaches suck and how unenlighened we are that we haven't seen 'the way'
That is pretty much it.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
OK progress, you've moved from " sandbars to beaches ".

No one is claiming that Vancouver is a tropical isle.

I don't understand why you just can't accept the fact that Vancouver has some beautiful beaches that people love and enjoy.

My responses have been to dismiss the notion that Vancouver beaches don't deserve some praise just because they aren't sunbathing meccas all year long.

No they are sandbars, unappealing in color, often full of rotting logs...and no they are not beautiful, not in my book and in many others including on this thread...

Quote:
Yes, I do swim in the water, as do many others. As for sunset and the beach, of course. A lot of people are still at the beach, English Bay and Sunset for example, because they live right across the street. I did for years. Pssst..if you head down to certain beaches..like Third Beach...you'll find people skinny-dipping at night!!

Yes, how many people you see on the water in that video clip?? Nat please, come on be serious....

Quote:
Planet earth to Saturno. Even in Summer in Vancouver you often DON'T need a light jacket....
Yes youd do...you forget that I live in the same "neighborhood" and I come up quite often.....summer nights are rarely pleasant and balmy temperature wise....it is the exception not the rule.

Quote:
Again pleasant is very personal.
Yes it is personal preference of the majority of people that do not find the Northwest beaches that great at all, especially the ones not in the open ocean.

Quote:
Access to beaches in Vancouver is another thing that I love about. For people living in downtown Seattle, it much harder to just walk to a beach, like you can here.
You always have this "Vancouver centric" urban approach which you consider your downtown the benchmark to be judged against...sometimes I question if you are really well traveled as you claim to be.

Few people wants to live in downtown Seattle, downtown here is mainly for business not for living...always been like that and always will be....many desirable areas to live in Seattle have easy access to beaches....which they suck exactly as the Vancouver "beaches" suck.

Quote:
Pssst..if you head down to certain beaches..like Third Beach...you'll find people skinny-dipping at night!!
Psst....people skinny dip in Moscow in January........

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
no they are sandbars, unappealing in color, often full of rotting logs...and no they are not beautiful, not in my book and in many others including on this thread...

rotting logs? The logs are kept there and arranged in rows by the city. It's a feature of beaches in this part of the world. Many love the beach " furniture ".

yes, how many people you see on the water in that video clip?? Nat please, come on be serious....

first video clip was a drum circle...people were not there to swim...besides..it showed a very tiny portion of the beach.
The second is autumn or winter.

yes youd do...you forget that i live in the same "neighborhood" and i come up quite often.....summer nights are rarely pleasant and balmy temperature wise....it is the exception not the rule.

you must be thin blooded. ( this does not surprise me ) lol

yes it is personal preference of the majority of people that do not find the northwest beaches that great at all, especially the ones not in the open ocean.

i'd like to see the poll you have done.

you always have this "vancouver centric" urban approach which you consider your downtown the benchmark to be judged against...sometimes i question if you are really well traveled as you claim to be.

hate to break it to you, but vancouver is considered a model of north american urbanity. That's why city planners around north america have come to vancouver to study " vancouverism "

few people wants to live in downtown seattle, downtown here is mainly for business not for living...always been like that and always will be....many desirable areas to live in seattle have easy access to beaches....which they suck exactly as the vancouver "beaches" suck.

again, personal preferences.

psst....people skinny dip in moscow in january.......

lol...moscow. Those aren't ocean beaches...so i though you said those didn't count.:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World