Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Well, there are black Jews in Tel Aviv too, right?
There are a few, I think they came from Ethiopia, but not enough to make the city "diverse".

What do you get if you mix a Black and a Jew? Wouldn't the child have a legitimate claim to be both? If Barack Obama's mother turned out to have been a non-practicing Jew, what would that make him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,486 times
Default London - nothing compares.

London. No contest.
300 different languages spoken daily. 40% foreign born.
Very integrated.
That's why London beat NYC for the 2012 Olympics.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM

83 posts, read 418,913 times
In terms of both race and ethnicity, any major North American metropolitan area. If ethnicity only, then some major European metropolitan areas can be included too since different types of white people can technically count as different ethnic groups. I'm not familiar with the southern half of the world.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM

190 posts, read 882,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World United View Post
London. No contest.
300 different languages spoken daily. 40% foreign born.
Very integrated.
That's why London beat NYC for the 2012 Olympics.
Thats not why

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM

36 posts, read 198,748 times
London is around 69% white.
in the United States any major city with over a 60% white population is not considered diverse. So since maybe 70% of Miami's population is foreign makes it more diverse than NYC? Hello no. About 60% of the people in London are actually British, and there is no major city that has a white ethnicity over 50% in the United States. And 40% are not foreign born, they have foreign ancestry. New York and Los Angeles are by far the most diverse cities in the world in terms of ethnic groups.Plus the suburbs in London are may more British than the suburbs of LA and NY are white. I dont see how people think London is really that Diverse.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Not many non white cities mentioned. No surprise there.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
in the United States any major city with over a 60% white population is not considered diverse. So since maybe 70% of Miami's population is foreign makes it more diverse than NYC? Hello no. About 60% of the people in London are actually British, and there is no major city that has a white ethnicity over 50% in the United States. And 40% are not foreign born, they have foreign ancestry. New York and Los Angeles are by far the most diverse cities in the world in terms of ethnic groups.Plus the suburbs in London are may more British than the suburbs of LA and NY are white. I dont see how people think London is really that Diverse.
Yeah in NYC according to the census there is no majority race.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 PM

200 posts, read 1,008,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
Just because it's 69% white doesn't mean it's not diverse. Of those white, there are many large sections different European countries represented which you wouldn't get anywhere near as many as New York.

60% of the People are actually British? What percentage of New Yorkers are American?

In the area of London I live in, there would be just about every country on earth represented from different parts of Africa, The carribean and Europe.

Sure in US cities you might have a higher percentage of non whites but that doesn't necessarily make it more diverse as a lot of those non-whites are American born and bred.

I'm sorry I just don't see how you can say that London is not diverse.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
Just because it's 69% white doesn't mean it's not diverse. Of those white, there are many large sections different European countries represented which you wouldn't get anywhere near as many as New York.

60% of the People are actually British? What percentage of New Yorkers are American?

In the area of London I live in, there would be just about every country on earth represented from different parts of Africa, The carribean and Europe.

Sure in US cities you might have a higher percentage of non whites but that doesn't necessarily make it more diverse as a lot of those non-whites are American born and bred.

I'm sorry I just don't see how you can say that London is not diverse.
just because you are foreign born it does not make it diverse what makes it diverse is the amount of culture and race sharing equally like NY. There is also other cultures like pop culture or hip hop culture. Of course they are american but an american is not a race or a region of specific people so you pointing that out does not help you. How would you know there isnt a lot of different white europeans in NYC. Our population of almost nine million and with almost as many languages spoken and yet there is no majority race. We get people form all around the world. Melting Pot

Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM

200 posts, read 1,008,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
just because you are foreign born it does not make it diverse what makes it diverse is the amount of culture and race sharing equally like NY. There is also other cultures like pop culture or hip hop culture. Of course they are american but an american is not a race or a region of specific people so you pointing that out does not help you. How would you know there isnt a lot of different white europeans in NYC. Our population of almost nine million and with almost as many languages spoken and yet there is no majority race. We get people form all around the world. Melting Pot
I understand New York is diverse but I refute that London is not diverse. BTW London's not my city. I don't even like the place even though I live here. I much prefer New York. London is extremely multi cultural and diverse maybe not it in the same way as NYC but you cannot say it's not diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World