Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:24 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
OK depends how you define racial diversity, Miami could be considered racially diverse, however it has two very large ethnic groups from porta rico and cuba, and thats about it.
Toronto Canada and Melbourne Australia are by far the most ethincall diverse places I have visited as a percentage of the population. London and New York may have large ethnic groups, but are also much larger cities.
Did a quick google search, their are more than 200 differnt languages spoken in Melbourne, makes for intersting reading,
Yeah it's amazing how little Melbourne is mentioned. Melbourne is more diverse and more integrated than Sydney IMO.

It has the best diversity of food of any city I've been to as well and that includes NYC and London.

Melbourne is probably the most under rated city and IMO the best city in the world. I hope it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stotan88 View Post
Toronto, ON, Canada. Hands down. Yu walk around downtown, and suddenly it often seems the white man is the minority. Such an interesting place, and fresh change. I love visiting that city
50% of Torontonians were born outside Canada. Can't get more diverse than that..

Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 10,765 times
Default It's late

I noticed this thread and wanted to point out, according to the United Nations, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada is the most diverse city now. I actually can't believe Vancouver wasn't mentioned in this thread before. I am trying to find the link for where I read that a while back but am not having luck. Either way, Vancouver is crazy diverse. It's also (supposedly, but I doubt it) even denser than Manhattan now.
So, you can imagine all the diversity and density makes for a heck of a vibrance.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM

190 posts, read 882,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jereguy View Post
I noticed this thread and wanted to point out, according to the United Nations, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada is the most diverse city now. I actually can't believe Vancouver wasn't mentioned in this thread before. I am trying to find the link for where I read that a while back but am not having luck. Either way, Vancouver is crazy diverse. It's also (supposedly, but I doubt it) even denser than Manhattan now.
So, you can imagine all the diversity and density makes for a heck of a vibrance.
You think Vancouver is denser than manhattan.
Density/ Size (water not Included)/ Population

Vancouver 13,817.6/sq mi / 44.3 sq mi / 611,869

Manhattan 70,595/sq mi / 22.96 sq mi / 1,620,867

NYC 27,147/sq mi / 304.8 sq mi / 8,274,527

Quote:
The demographics of New York City depict a uniquely large and ethnically diverse metropolis, the largest city in the United States, with a population defined by a long history of international immigration. New York City is home to more than 8 million people, accounting for about 40% of the population of New York State and a similar percentage of the New York metropolitan area, home to about 22 million. Over the last decade the city has been growing faster than the region. Demographers estimate New York's population will reach 9.1 million by 2030.
Throughout its history New York City has been a major point of entry for immigrants; the term "melting pot" was first coined to describe densely populated immigrant neighborhoods on the Lower East Side. In 2005, nearly 170 languages were spoken in the city and 36% of its population was foreign born

Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Try Stockton, California. When driving in it, people you see goes something like this: mexican, mexican, white, white, mexican, black, asian, mexican, mexican, white, white, mexican, asian, black, mexican, white, mexican, etc. The area has a lot of diversity even by California standards. It's diversity could only be compared to walking around Times Square in NYC on a Saturday.
This statement made me laugh...
I vote Sacramento California as one of the most diverse cities in the world. It has many different ethnicities, not just a few to pick from and they are almost all about the same percentage. Very diverse

Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
London...and, Chicago.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:07 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,281 times
Modena, Italy is becoming diverse....close to 20% of the population is foreign-born. Thats not a lot, but I'm sure it will increase over the years.

I might also add that I think Brazil is home to a lot of diverse cities.
Brazil is home to a variety of immigrants, and even though they grew up in Brazil and speak Portuguese, they come from many different cultures and in are of different races.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Sacramento

Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 AM

94 posts, read 202,364 times
NYC for the USA.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM

66 posts, read 268,830 times
you forgot boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World