We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||45.5 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 02535.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $33,856 (it was $21,420 in 2000)
Aquinnah town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: over $1,000,000 (it was $852,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $804,161; Detached houses: $794,384; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,976; In 2-unit structures: $671,845; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $607,827
Races in Aquinnah, MA (2010)
- 17455.9%White alone
- 8226.4%American Indian alone
- 309.6%Two or more races
- 51.6%Other race alone
- 41.3%Black alone
- 10.3%Asian alone
Ancestries: English (17.4%), Irish (15.4%), French (7.6%), German (6.7%), Russian (6.4%), Italian (6.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1870
Land area: 5.36 square miles.
Population density: 58 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Aquinnah:
- High school or higher: 95.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 41.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Aquinnah town:
- Never married: 32.0%
- Now married: 47.5%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 11.3%
3 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Aquinnah town:||0.3% ($2,167)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: New Bedford, MA (23.1 miles , pop. 93,768).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (69.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Queens, NY (163.5 miles , pop. 2,229,379).
Nearest cities: Chilmark, MA (1.8 miles ), West Tisbury, MA (2.9 miles ), Gosnold, MA (3.2 miles) , Tisbury, MA (3.6 miles ), Vineyard Haven, MA (3.6 miles ), Oak Bluffs, MA (3.8 miles ), Edgartown, MA (3.8 miles ), Woods Hole, MA (3.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $359,000
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $395,100
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $446,000
- 2003: 9 buildings, average cost: $538,900
- 2004: 6 buildings, average cost: $506,300
- 2005: 7 buildings, average cost: $198,600
- 2006: 6 buildings, average cost: $260,800
- 2007: 9 buildings, average cost: $323,900
- 2008: 7 buildings, average cost: $457,100
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $293,800
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $250,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $250,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $250,000
- 2013: 2 buildings, average cost: $292,000
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $292,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.33 N, Longitude: 70.80 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 508
|Crime rates in Aquinnah by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 279.2)||30.9||78.9||145.3||536.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Aquinnah detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||12.08|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (12%)
- Repair and maintenance (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Public administration (30%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Health care (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Private households (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (16%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (9%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Woodworkers (6%)
- Postsecondary teachers (5%)
- Social scientists and related workers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (15%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Art and design workers (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Media and communication equipment workers (5%)
Average climate in Aquinnah, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Aquinnah-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 156.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 255.6 miles away from Aquinnah center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 155.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 263.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 103.6 miles away from Aquinnah center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 282.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dukes County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 7, Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Aquinnah:
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth (about 24 miles; North Dartmouth, MA; Full-time enrollment: 7,545)
- Salve Regina University (about 28 miles; Newport, RI; FT enrollment: 2,349)
- Bristol Community College (about 32 miles; Fall River, MA; FT enrollment: 5,707)
- Roger Williams University (about 33 miles; Bristol, RI; FT enrollment: 4,375)
- Cape Cod Community College (about 35 miles; West Barnstable, MA; FT enrollment: 2,491)
- University of Rhode Island (about 40 miles; Kingston, RI; FT enrollment: 14,656)
- New England Institute of Technology (about 44 miles; East Greenwich, RI; FT enrollment: 3,183)
Notable locations in Aquinnah: Gay Head Light (A), Aquinnah Fire Department (B), Gay Head Coast Guard Station (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Gay Head Indian Burying Ground (1), Gayhead Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Occooch Pond (A), Lily Pond (B), Black Pond (C), Squibnocket Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Black Brook (A), Squibnocket Herring Run (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beaches: Gay Head Town Beach (A), Lobsterville Beach (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.4. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 0.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Aquinnah town (based on Dukes County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dukes County:||8.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||35.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.09% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,625 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved from foreign countries ($344 average AGI)
Dukes County: 0.15% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.36% ($78,231 average AGI)|
|from Barnstable County, MA||0.31% ($30,478)|
|from Suffolk County, MA||0.31% ($53,348)|
5.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($58,973 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Aquinnah:
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPRO (630 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Aquinnah:
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMVY (92.7 FM; TISBURY, MA; Owner: ARITAUR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WKKB (100.3 FM; MIDDLETOWN, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFHN (107.1 FM; FAIRHAVEN, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WSMU-FM (91.1 FM; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WFPB-FM (91.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
TV broadcast stations around Aquinnah:
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: WB1FVD, Licensee ID: L00920025, Grant Date: 03/07/2014, Expiration Date: 05/17/2024, Certifier: Edward P Childs Jr, Registrant: Edward P Childs Jr, 24 Old South Rd, Aquinnah, MA 02535-1519
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 65MW , Serial Number: 20440
Registrant (Co-Owned): Susan A Weiss, Po Box 508, Aquinnah, MA 02535, Other Owners: Martin T Weiss
- Aircraft: CESSNA R172K (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 76 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR IO-360 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 758LC , Serial Number: R1723172, Year manufactured: 1979, Airworthiness Date: 05/17/1979
Registrant (Individual): Jerry A Wiener, 10 State Rd, Aquinnah, MA 02535
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (53%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (37%)
- Wood (5%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Aquinnah compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Aquinnah on our top lists:
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 larger cities with the lowest real estate taxes percentage (population 50,000+)"
- #43 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income"
- #12 (02535) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 1,000+)"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election"