Brown City, Michigan
Brown City: Atlanta Skyline
Brown City: Downtown Atlanta Church Spires
Brown City: Downtown Atlanta
Brown City: Downtown Atlanta
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.4 years|
|Michigan median age:||39.7 years|
Zip codes: 48416.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,792 (it was $15,929 in 2000)
Brown City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $90,656 (it was $89,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $159,889; Detached houses: $172,818; Mobile homes: $35,015
Median gross rent in 2015: $508.
Races in Brown City, MI (2010)
- 1,26995.8%White alone
- 221.7%Two or more races
- 20.2%American Indian alone
- 10.08%Black alone
- 10.08%Asian alone
|best rural/farm communities (8 replies)|
|Seeking Michigan’s Best Kept Culinary Secrets (16 replies)|
|Relocation to MI, low crime index city/ good school/ good jobs (35 replies)|
|Want to move (11 replies)|
Latest news from Brown City, MI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (29.9%), American (20.1%), Polish (10.9%), English (5.5%), Italian (4.7%), Irish (4.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 813 feet
Land area: 1.07 square miles.
Population density: 1,196 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Brown City:
- High school or higher: 91.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brown City city:
- Never married: 33.8%
- Now married: 49.1%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 10.4%
9 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Michigan and other state lists there were 13 registered sex offenders living in Brown City, Michigan as of June 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Brown City to the number of sex offenders is 100 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,362 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,188 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Shelby, MI (37.5 miles , pop. 65,159).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Detroit, MI (57.3 miles , pop. 951,270).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (257.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Melvin, MI (2.6 miles) , Marlette, MI (3.0 miles ), Peck, MI (3.0 miles ), North Branch, MI (3.2 miles ), Yale, MI (3.3 miles ), Clifford, MI (3.5 miles ), Imlay City, MI (3.7 miles ), Capac, MI (3.8 miles ).
Latitude: 43.21 N, Longitude: 82.99 W
Area code: 810
|Crime rates in Brown City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.8)||284.8||270.1||162.5||146.2||98.9||82.2||150.4||86.1||243.9||233.0||214.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Brown City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.58|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (38%)
- Transportation and warehousing (12%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Construction (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Health care and social assistance (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Production occupations (26%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (5%)
Average climate in Brown City, Michigan
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Brown City-area historical tornado activity is near Michigan state average. It is 3% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/8/1953, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 21.9 miles away from the Brown City city center killed 116 people and injured 844 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/8/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.6 miles away from the city center injured 23 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Brown City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Michigan state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 178.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 145.3 miles away from Brown City center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 141.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 198.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 349.9 miles away from Brown City center
On 6/20/2006 at 20:11:18, a magnitude 3.8 (3.5 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 130.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sanilac County (10) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Dewayne T. Williams - Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Brown City: Dewayne T. Williams.
Hospitals and medical centers near Brown City:
- MARLETTE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 10 miles away; MARLETTE, MI)
- MARLETTE COMM HOSP LTCU (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; MARLETTE, MI)
- YALE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; YALE, MI)
- MEDILODGE OF YALE, INC (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; YALE, MI)
- COMPAS HOME HEALTH CARE OF MICHIGAN (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; IMLAY CITY, MI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brown City:
- St Clair County Community College (about 33 miles; Port Huron, MI; Full-time enrollment: 3,057)
- Mott Community College (about 37 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 7,394)
- University of Michigan-Flint (about 38 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 6,284)
- Oakland University (about 40 miles; Rochester Hills, MI; FT enrollment: 16,449)
- Kettering University (about 40 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 2,044)
- Baker College Center for Graduate Studies (about 40 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 3,405)
- Baker College of Flint (about 40 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 3,877)
Public high schools in Brown City:
Public elementary/middle school in Brown City:
- BROWN CITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 524, Location: 4290 2ND ST, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Brown City: Brown City Station (A), Brown City Hall (B), Brown City Fire Department (C), Brown City Public Library (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Brown City include: Immanuel Revival Church (A), Brown City United Methodist Church (B), Missionary Church (C), Faith Baptist Church (D), Trinity Lutheran Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Brown City include: Brown City Community Schools Historical Marker (1), Brown City Banner Historical Marker (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2004 was 15.9. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2004 was 0.117. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.0 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 1.85. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
(21.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 23.1% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
6 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
10 people in other group homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Brown City (2011 data):
- Tri-County Bank: at 4222 Main Street, branch established on 1889/05/29; Ben's Supermarket Branch at 4436 Main Street, branch established on 2002/12/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $205.3 mil, Deposits: $182.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: Tri-County Bancorp, Inc.
- Exchange State Bank: Brown City Branch at 4482 Main St, branch established on 2008/05/12. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $134.6 mil, Deposits: $118.9 mil, headquarters in Carsonville, MI, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Exchange State Bank Corp.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Brown City city (based on Sanilac County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sanilac County:||2.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||2.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sanilac County:||2.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||1.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sanilac County:||4.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Brown City, MI Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||8||$5,104||$7,656||2||$769|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$6,672||$40,032||1||$336|
|Streets and Highways||2||$1,521||$9,126||1||$210|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$183||$2,196||11||$482|
|Totals for Government||20||$21,910||$13,146||18||$3,237|
Brown City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $178,000 ($139.17)
Police Protection: $133,000 ($103.99)
General - Other: $124,000 ($96.95)
Regular Highways: $112,000 ($87.57)
Solid Waste Management: $45,000 ($35.18)
General Public Buildings: $40,000 ($31.27)
Parks & Recreation: $31,000 ($24.24)
Fire Protection: $22,000 ($17.20)
Financial Administration: $15,000 ($11.73)
- General - Interest on Debt: $21,000 ($16.42)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $314,000 ($245.50)
Brown City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $50,000 ($39.09)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $160,000 ($125.10)
Interest Earnings: $26,000 ($20.33)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $198,000 ($154.81)
Highways: $99,000 ($77.40)
- Tax - Property: $356,000 ($278.34)
NEC: $1,000 ($0.78)
Brown City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $333,000 ($260.36)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $229,000 ($179.05)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $75,000 ($58.64)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $29,000 ($22.67)
Brown City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $41,000 ($32.06)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,159,000 ($906.18)
4.32% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,077 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Clair County, MI||1.00% ($25,420 average AGI)|
|from Macomb County, MI||0.52% ($34,619)|
|from Lapeer County, MI||0.30% ($22,646)|
5.30% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,593 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Brown City:
- WWJ (950 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WXYT (1270 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF DETROIT)
- WOAP (1080 AM; 50 kW; OWOSSO, MI)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WLSP (1530 AM; daytime; 5 kW; LAPEER, MI; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF FLINT INC.)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WDFN (1130 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCHB (1200 AM; 50 kW; TAYLOR, MI; Owner: RADIO ONE OF DETROIT, LLC)
- WMIC (660 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SANDUSKY, MI; Owner: SANILAC BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPHM (1380 AM; 5 kW; PORT HURON, MI; Owner: LIGGETT COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- WSGW (790 AM; 5 kW; SAGINAW, MI; Owner: NM LICENSING LLC)
- WTRX (1330 AM; 5 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WUFL (1030 AM; daytime; 5 kW; STERLING HEIGHTS, MI; Owner: FAMILY LIFE BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
Strongest FM radio stations in Brown City:
- WBGV (92.5 FM; MARLETTE, MI; Owner: GB BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHYT (89.1 FM; IMLAY CITY, MI; Owner: MICHIGAN COMMUNITY RADIO)
- WHNN (96.1 FM; BAY CITY, MI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQUS (103.1 FM; LAPEER, MI; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF FLINT INC.)
- WTGV-FM (97.7 FM; SANDUSKY, MI; Owner: SANILAC BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNFR (90.7 FM; SANDUSKY, MI; Owner: ROSS BIBLE CHURCH)
- WWBN (101.5 FM; TUSCOLA, MI; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF FLINT, INC.)
- WBTI (96.9 FM; LEXINGTON, MI; Owner: LIGGETT COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Brown City:
- WEYI-TV (Channel 25; SAGINAW, MI; Owner: WEYI BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WDCP-TV (Channel 35; BAD AXE, MI; Owner: DELTA COLLEGE)
- WFUM (Channel 28; FLINT, MI; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN)
- W52CU (Channel 52; PINCONNING, MI; Owner: NTN/SAGINAW, INC.)
- WXON-LP (Channel 54; FLINT, MI; Owner: P & P CABLE HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
Brown City fatal accident list:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Brown City and their reported violations in the past:BROWN CITY (Population served: 1,316, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (OCT-20-2011), St Public Notif requested (NOV-14-2011), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-14-2011), St Public Notif received (NOV-22-2011)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 12
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Brown City
|Most common first names in Brown City, MI among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Brown City, MI among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (81%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Businesses in Brown City, MI
- RadioShack: 1
- UPS: 1
Brown City compared to Michigan state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2017.