Hohenwald: horses at dawn
Hohenwald: This is a picture from my grandparents' back porch of a beautiful sunset.
Hohenwald: The Geese of NACO
Hohenwald: My little treasure chest!
Hohenwald: Meriwether Lewis gravesite in snow Natchez Trace Parkway, Hohenwald
Hohenwald: One of the oldest houses in Hohenwald in the winter snows
Hohenwald: Gazabo at th William Teltz Park
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||44.5 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.7 years|
Zip codes: 38462.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $18,035 (it was $16,665 in 2000)
Hohenwald city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $86,905 (it was $56,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $104,886; Detached houses: $111,783; Mobile homes: $37,765
Median gross rent in 2015: $483.
Races in Hohenwald, TN (2010)
- 3,47592.5%White alone
- 1223.2%Black alone
- 511.4%Two or more races
- 300.8%Asian alone
- 30.08%American Indian alone
|Anyone here close to Hohenwald, Tennessee? (4 replies)|
|Looking for info on Hohenwald... (6 replies)|
|Looking for a ZERO politically correct city and public school education. (27 replies)|
|Hohenwald/Columbia (5 replies)|
|Tennessee 1st State to Register Animal Abusers (12 replies)|
|Starting Over in Columbia, TN (22 replies)|
Latest news from Hohenwald, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (51.2%), Irish (7.2%), Scotch-Irish (4.3%), Dutch (1.7%), German (1.7%), English (1.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1911
Elevation: 976 feet
Land area: 4.36 square miles.
Population density: 844 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hohenwald:
- High school or higher: 80.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hohenwald city:
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 44.7%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 14.3%
- Divorced: 14.9%
307 residents are foreign born (1.3% Europe, 0.9% Latin America).
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 32 registered sex offenders living in Hohenwald, Tennessee as of October 22, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Hohenwald to the number of sex offenders is 115 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $526 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $565 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Metropolitan Government, TN (61.0 miles , pop. 569,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (435.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: East Lewis, TN (2.5 miles ), Coble, TN (3.5 miles ), Summertown, TN (4.0 miles ), Linden, TN (4.1 miles ), Deerfield, TN (4.1 miles ), Centerville, TN (4.2 miles ), Poplar Top, TN (4.3 miles ), Lobelville, TN (4.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 1998: 9 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 1999: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 2001: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,400
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $83,300
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $83,300
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $136,900
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $69,200
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2008: 12 buildings, average cost: $92,300
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $92,700
- 2010: 4 buildings, average cost: $79,300
- 2011: 6 buildings, average cost: $70,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2014: 5 buildings, average cost: $90,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.55 N, Longitude: 87.56 W
Area code: 931
|Crime rates in Hohenwald by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||203.9||141.2||109.8||160.9||259.9||222.7||205.1||335.7||247.2||293.1||307.8||286.9||363.2||285.4||447.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hohenwald detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.82|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -142 (-3.6%).
- Manufacturing (18%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Transportation and warehousing (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Construction (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (23%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Production occupations (19%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (11%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Personal care and service occupations (14%)
- Healthcare support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
Average climate in Hohenwald, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hohenwald-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 83% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/5/1999, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.4 miles away from the Hohenwald city center killed 3 people and caused $290,000 in damages.
On 4/16/1998, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 34.8 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 36 people and caused $13 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hohenwald-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 201.6 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 144.9 miles away from Hohenwald center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 131.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 156.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 157.1 miles away from Hohenwald center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 169.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lewis County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 6, Winds: 5, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: William Gay (author) - Essayist.
Hospitals and medical centers in Hohenwald:
airports located in Hohenwald:
- John A Baker Fld Airport (0M3) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 1,100, Local Ops: 1,650)
- Palmer Village-Napier Lake Airport (TN21) (Runways: 1)
College/University in Hohenwald:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hohenwald:
- Columbia State Community College (about 26 miles; Columbia, TN; Full-time enrollment: 3,383)
- University of North Alabama (about 52 miles; Florence, AL; FT enrollment: 5,886)
- Nashville State Community College (about 57 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 6,436)
- Northwest-Shoals Community College (about 57 miles; Muscle Shoals, AL; FT enrollment: 2,702)
- Lipscomb University (about 58 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 3,827)
- Belmont University (about 59 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 5,795)
- Vanderbilt University (about 59 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 10,518)
Public high school in Hohenwald:
- LEWIS CO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 610, Location: 818 WEST MAIN ST, Grades: 9-12)
Private high schools in Hohenwald:
Public elementary/middle schools in Hohenwald:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Flatrock Church of Christ, Pineview Church of Christ, Salem Church of Christ, Riverside Chuch of Christ, Kimmins Church of Christ, Little Swan Church of Christ, Indian Creek Church of Christ, Sweetwater Church of Christ, Gordonsburg Church of Christ, Grinders Creek Church of Christ, Slippery Church of Christ
Notable locations in Hohenwald: Lewis County Volunteer Fire Department (A), Hohenwald Fire Department (B), Lewis County Nursing Home (C), Lewis County Library (D), Lewis County Courthouse (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hohenwald include: Lomax Church of Christ (A), Blondy Church (B), Hohenwald First United Pentecostal Church (C), Hohenwald First Methodist Church (D), Hohenwald First Baptist Church (E), Hohenwald cumberland Presbyterian Church (F), Hohenwald Church of Christ (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Swiss Cemetery (1), Saint Peters Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Lewis County Museum (108 East Main Street).
Hotel: Embassy Inn (235 East Main Street).
Court: Lewis County - Circuit Court Clerk (Court House).
(24.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 26.7% for Black residents, 46.4% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 42.3% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
People in group quarters in Hohenwald in 2010:
- 124 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 60 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 28 people in residential treatment centers for adults
- 5 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Hohenwald in 2000:
- 130 people in nursing homes
- 33 people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children
- 32 people in residential treatment centers for emotionally disturbed children
- 31 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Banks with branches in Hohenwald (2011 data):
- Community South Bank: East Main Street Branch, Howenwald Branch, Hohenwald Branch. Info updated 2007/01/18: Bank assets: $569.9 mil, Deposits: $534.2 mil, headquarters in Parsons, TN, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 23 total offices, Holding Company: Tennessee Central Bancshares, Inc.
- Regions Bank: Hohenwald East Rdt Branch at 554 East Main Street, branch established on 2009/07/01; Hohenwald West Main Street Branch at 401 West Main Street, branch established on 1979/11/01. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- Wayne County Bank: Citizens Bank Of Lewis County, A Branch Of at 605 East Main Street, branch established on 2006/12/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $278.1 mil, Deposits: $231.2 mil, headquarters in Waynesboro, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Wayne County Bancshares, Inc.
- Bank of Perry County: Bank Of Lewis County, A Branch Of Bank Of Perry County at 434 East Main Street, branch established on 2008/09/08. Info updated 2010/05/27: Bank assets: $144.3 mil, Deposits: $113.7 mil, headquarters in Lobelville, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices
- Peoples Bank: Hohenwald Branch at 526 E Main St, branch established on 2006/10/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $137.6 mil, Deposits: $118.9 mil, headquarters in Clifton, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Pb Bancshares, Inc. Employees Stock Ownership Plan
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hohenwald city (based on Lewis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lewis County:||5.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||0.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||8.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Hohenwald, TN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||8||$24,882||$37,323||9||$3,926|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$655|
|Police Protection - Officers||13||$39,883||$36,815||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$12,003||$28,807||4||$2,963|
|Solid Waste Management||7||$13,570||$23,263||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$3,676||$44,112||3||$3,251|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$461|
|Totals for Government||53||$143,286||$32,442||21||$15,539|
Hohenwald government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Health - Other: $673,000 ($182.93)
Water Utilities: $73,000 ($19.84)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $1,446,000 ($393.04)
Financial Administration: $629,000 ($170.97)
Sewerage: $548,000 ($148.95)
Water Utilities: $547,000 ($148.68)
Police Protection: $509,000 ($138.35)
Regular Highways: $367,000 ($99.76)
Solid Waste Management: $203,000 ($55.18)
Fire Protection: $174,000 ($47.30)
Parks & Recreation: $46,000 ($12.50)
General - Other: $14,000 ($3.81)
Health Services - Other: $9,000 ($2.45)
- Gas Utilities - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- General - Interest on Debt: $129,000 ($35.06)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $58,000 ($15.77)
Police Protection: $47,000 ($12.78)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,386,000 ($376.73)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $36,000 ($9.79)
Hohenwald government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $302,000 ($82.09)
Solid Waste Management: $214,000 ($58.17)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $662,000 ($179.94)
All Other: $49,000 ($13.32)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $156,000 ($42.40)
Interest Earnings: $82,000 ($22.29)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $1,635,000 ($444.41)
Water Utilities: $626,000 ($170.15)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $291,000 ($79.10)
Highways: $114,000 ($30.99)
- Tax - Property: $451,000 ($122.59)
Other Selective Sales: $142,000 ($38.60)
NEC: $53,000 ($14.41)
Public Utilities: $37,000 ($10.06)
Hohenwald government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $653,000 ($177.49)
Gas Utilities: $8,000 ($2.17)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $2,625,000 ($713.51)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Water Utilities: $465,000 ($126.39)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $2,510,000 ($682.25)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $639,000 ($173.69)
Gas Utilities: $2,000 ($0.54)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $479,000 ($130.20)
Other, NEC: $115,000 ($31.26)
Gas Utilities: $6,000 ($1.63)
Hohenwald government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $3,512,000 ($954.61)
5.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($24,237 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Maury County, TN||0.75% ($25,759 average AGI)|
|from Perry County, TN||0.47% ($17,278)|
|from Lawrence County, TN||0.36% ($16,357)|
6.03% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,579 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hohenwald:
- WMLR (1230 AM; 1 kW; HOHENWALD, TN; Owner: COCHRAN COMM. CORP. OF LEWIS CNTY.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WNKX (1570 AM; 5 kW; CENTERVILLE, TN; Owner: HICKMAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLOR (1550 AM; 50 kW; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: BCA RADIO, LLC)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WZNN (620 AM; 5 kW; LEXINGTON, AL; Owner: MANUEL HUERTA)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WMCP (1280 AM; 5 kW; COLUMBIA, TN; Owner: MAURY COUNTY BOOSTERS CORP.)
- WVNN (770 AM; 10 kW; ATHENS, AL; Owner: ATHENS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hohenwald:
- WAUO (90.7 FM; HOHENWALD, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- W209AT (89.7 FM; HOHENWALD, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WFGZ (94.5 FM; LOBELVILLE, TN; Owner: OHIO BROADCAST ASSOCIATES)
- W287AA (105.3 FM; LAWRENCEBURG, TN; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WMSR-FM (94.9 FM; COLLINWOOD, TN; Owner: OHIO BROADCAST ASSOCIATES)
- WNKX-FM (96.7 FM; CENTERVILLE, TN; Owner: HICKMAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WLLX (97.5 FM; LAWRENCEBURG, TN; Owner: ROGER WRIGHT DBA PROSPECT COMMUNICATIONS)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 9m30ftTotal length
- 40Total average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 48 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Hohenwald, TN)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 86 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hohenwald)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 17 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Hohenwald)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hohenwald and their reported violations in the past:HOHENWALD WATER SYSTEM (Population served: 10,098, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 21 regular monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hohenwald that have no violations reported:
- NATCHEZ TRACE WILDERNESS PRESERVE (Population served: 226, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 41
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Incident types - Hohenwald
|Most common first names in Hohenwald, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hohenwald, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Electricity (32%)
- Wood (3%)
- No fuel used (1%)
|Businesses in Hohenwald, TN|
|H&R Block||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Hohenwald compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Hohenwald on our top lists:
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in residential treatment centers for emotionally disturbed children (population 1,000+)"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children (population 1,000+)"
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2017.