|Median resident age:||46.9 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12816.
Jackson town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $170,708 (it was $96,200 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,716 (95.3%)
- Hispanic - 27 (1.5%)
- Two or more races - 26 (1.4%)
- Black alone - 22 (1.2%)
- Asian alone - 5 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.2%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.06%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.0%), German (14.6%), English (13.7%), French (9.4%), United States (7.6%), Italian (6.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 37.2 square miles.
Population density: 48 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Jackson:
- High school or higher: 84.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.6%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jackson town:
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 9.6%
42 residents are foreign born (1.4% Europe, 0.5% Asia, 0.5% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Jackson town:||2.0% ($1,882)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (34.5 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (128.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (157.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Cambridge, NY (2.2 miles ), Salem, NY (2.4 miles ), Greenwich, NY (2.5 miles ), White Creek, NY (2.5 miles ), Easton, NY (3.1 miles ), Sandgate, VT (3.2 miles ), Schuylerville, NY (3.2 miles ), Victory, NY (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 43.10 N, Longitude: 73.38 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Health care (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Paper (5%)
- Health care (24%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (3%)
Jackson-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 52% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.3 miles away from the Jackson town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
On 6/24/1960, a category F3 tornado 21.6 miles away from the town center injured 9 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Jackson-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 76.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 97.6 miles away from Jackson center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 93.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 73.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 73.6 miles away from Jackson center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 97.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Jackson:
- MARY MCCLELLAN HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 6 miles away; CAMBRIDGE, NY)
- THE ORCHARD NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTRE (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- THE CENTER FOR NURSING AND REHAB AT HOOSICK FALLS (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HOOSICK FALLS, NY)
- PROSPECT NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; NORTH BENNINGTON, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jackson:
- SUNY Empire State College (about 21 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; Full-time enrollment: 9,473)
- Skidmore College (about 21 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- Adirondack Community College (about 23 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Williams College (about 29 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 30 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 31 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 32 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
Notable locations in Jackson: Flying Pigs Farm (A), Hemlock Grove Farm (B), Sunrise Mountain Buffalo Ranch (C), Lake Lauderdale Campground (D), Battenkill Riversports and Campground (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Lake Lauderdale (A), Schoolhouse Lake (B), Clark Pond (C), Dead Lake (D), Hedges Lake (E), Eldridge Swamp (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Camden Creek (A), Flaxmill Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Jackson: Lake Lauderdale County Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.789. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 14.3. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.70. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.9 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
8 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Jackson compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Wood (14%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Electricity (9%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Jackson town (based on Washington County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.97%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Assemblies of God||The Wesleyan Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Reformed Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||1.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||4.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,003 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Warren County, NY||1.91% ($26,057 average AGI)|
|from Saratoga County, NY||1.42% ($33,385)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.25% ($27,850)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,699 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Jackson:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WOFX (980 AM; 5 kW; TROY, NY)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Jackson:
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQAR (101.3 FM; STILLWATER, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Jackson:
- WNYA-CA (Channel 39; EASTON, ETC., NY; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
- WNGN-LP (Channel 26; TROY, NY; Owner: BRIAN A. LARSON)
Total length: 4 meters (13ft)
Total costs: $4,646,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,940
Total average daily truck traffic: 338
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 5,516
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1