Maury City, Tennessee
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||34.9 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 38050.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $13,450 (it was $14,519 in 2000)
Maury City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $76,298 (it was $48,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $92,703; Detached houses: $97,788; Mobile homes: $47,633
Median gross rent in 2013: $609.
Races in Maury City, TN (2010)
- 41962.2%White alone
- 17325.7%Black alone
- 131.9%Two or more races
- 10.1%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Higher-educated people are more likely to have a second job Jun 23
- Who wants to legalize marijuana in the United States? Jun 21
- From rich to super-rich: do you pay lower taxes? Jun 19
- Well-educated parents are more likely to stay together Jun 17
- Leisure time: do Americans spend it differently this decade? Jun 15
|Looking for a small safe town in Tennessee to raise our kids (12 replies)|
|Leaving for either University of Tennessee or Memphis State (26 replies)|
|Relocating to TN (Brownsville) Rental needed (6 replies)|
Latest news from Maury City, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (11.9%), United States (11.4%), German (4.9%), English (3.6%), Scottish (2.3%), Dutch (1.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1911
Elevation: 346 feet
Land area: 1.11 square miles.
Population density: 610 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Maury City:
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Maury City town:
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 49.2%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 12.9%
40 residents are foreign born (3.8% Latin America, 0.8% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $591 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $502 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (25.9 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (64.1 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (424.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Alamo, TN (2.5 miles ), Friendship, TN (2.6 miles ), Holly Grove-Belle Eagle, TN (3.2 miles ), Bells, TN (3.2 miles ), Nutbush, TN (3.2 miles ), Gates, TN (3.2 miles ), Fowlkes, TN (3.2 miles ), Halls, TN (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 35.82 N, Longitude: 89.22 W
Area code: 731
|Crime rates in Maury City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||129.2||246.4||109.9||206.2||222.2||65.0||176.0||74.0||148.3||133.2||270.2||365.4||439.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Maury City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.49|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Transportation and warehousing (19%)
- Manufacturing (18%)
- Construction (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (50%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (17%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (11%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (22%)
- Healthcare support occupations (15%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Community and social service occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (6%)
Average climate in Maury City, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Maury City-area historical tornado activity is above Tennessee state average. It is 106% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.2 miles away from the Maury City town center killed 2 people and injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 tornado 19.8 miles away from the town center killed 4 people and injured 5 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Maury City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 61.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 63.2 miles away from Maury City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 95.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 33.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 196.7 miles away from Maury City center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 74.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Crockett County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 8, Floods: 7, Tornadoes: 7, Winds: 3, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles P. Roland - Historian.
Hospitals and medical centers near Maury City:
- ALAMO NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; ALAMO, TN)
- BELLS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; BELLS, TN)
- HAYWOOD PARK COMMUNITY HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 15 miles away; BROWNSVILLE, TN)
- BROWNSVILLE DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; BROWNSVILLE, TN)
- DCI BROWNSVILLE (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; BROWNSVILLE, TN)
- CRESTVIEW HEALTH CARE CENTER OF BROWNSVILLE, INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BROWNSVILLE, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Maury City:
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 19 miles; Dyersburg, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,211)
- Union University (about 23 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 4,051)
- Jackson State Community College (about 28 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 2,958)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 42 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
- Bethel University (about 46 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
- Rhodes College (about 63 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 2,052)
- University of Memphis (about 65 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 17,427)
Private high school in Maury City:
Public elementary/middle school in Maury City:
- MAURY CITY ELEMENTARY (Students: 146, Location: 5442 HIGHWAY 88, Grades: PK-5)
Notable location: Maury City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Maury City: Maury City First Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 44.0. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2002 was 1.00. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 24.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2006 was 2.09. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.3 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2006 was 1.24. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2008 was 31.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.93. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.8 miles away from the city center.
(33.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 42.1% for Black residents, 34.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 36.8% for other race residents)
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Banks with branches in Maury City (2011 data):
- The Peoples Bank: Maury City Branch at 6306 Highway 88, branch established on 2007/05/01. Info updated 2010/06/02: Bank assets: $74.8 mil, Deposits: $68.0 mil, headquarters in Sardis, TN, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: 1st Jackson Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Maury City town (based on Crockett County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Crockett County:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crockett County:||1.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crockett County:||6.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||0.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Maury City, TN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$5,004||$30,024||6||$628|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||3||$2,484|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$7,794||$31,176||1||$1,346|
|Totals for Government||6||$15,278||$30,556||15||$4,897|
Maury City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $99,000 ($145.80)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $343,000 ($505.15)
Financial Administration: $89,000 ($131.08)
Regular Highways: $59,000 ($86.89)
Sewerage: $57,000 ($83.95)
Water Utilities: $57,000 ($83.95)
Police Protection: $30,000 ($44.18)
Solid Waste Management: $27,000 ($39.76)
Fire Protection: $9,000 ($13.25)
Parks & Recreation: $5,000 ($7.36)
General - Other: $1,000 ($1.47)
- Gas Utilities - Interest on Debt: $58,000 ($85.42)
- General - Interest on Debt: $3,000 ($4.42)
- Other Capital Outlay - Gas Utilities: $2,000 ($2.95)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $165,000 ($243.00)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $91,000 ($134.02)
Maury City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $128,000 ($188.51)
Solid Waste Management: $27,000 ($39.76)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $37,000 ($54.49)
Public Welfare: $8,000 ($11.78)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $18,000 ($26.51)
General Revenue, NEC: $16,000 ($23.56)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $411,000 ($605.30)
Water Utilities: $128,000 ($188.51)
- State Intergovernmental - Water Utilities: $76,000 ($111.93)
General Support: $60,000 ($88.37)
Highways: $20,000 ($29.46)
Housing & Community Development: $3,000 ($4.42)
- Tax - Property: $55,000 ($81.00)
Other Selective Sales: $5,000 ($7.36)
NEC: $3,000 ($4.42)
Maury City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $1,520,000 ($2238.59)
Gas Utilities: $960,000 ($1413.84)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $44,000 ($64.80)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $39,000 ($57.44)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $1,422,000 ($2094.26)
Gas Utilities: $900,000 ($1325.48)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $98,000 ($144.33)
Gas Utilities: $60,000 ($88.37)
Other, NEC: $5,000 ($7.36)
Maury City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $482,000 ($709.87)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $13,000 ($19.15)
6.33% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,649 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Madison County, TN||1.57% ($35,241 average AGI)|
|from Gibson County, TN||0.99% ($21,640)|
|from Dyer County, TN||0.54% ($28,667)|
6.75% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,135 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Maury City:
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WCTA (810 AM; daytime; 0 kW; ALAMO, TN; Owner: BILLY H. WILLIAMS)
- WDXI (1310 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: LIBERTY RADIO II, INC.)
- WTJS (1390 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLCN (910 AM; 5 kW; BLYTHEVILLE, AR; Owner: SUDBURY SERVICES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- KOTC (830 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KENNETT, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Maury City:
- WWGM (93.1 FM; ALAMO, TN; Owner: GRACE BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WASL (100.1 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: DR PEPPER PEPSI-COLA BOTTLING CO.)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- WAPO (90.5 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WAUV (89.7 FM; RIPLEY, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKVZ (94.9 FM; RIPLEY, TN; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WTBG (95.3 FM; BROWNSVILLE, TN; Owner: THE WIRELESS GROUP, INC.)
- WTNV (104.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W205BN (88.9 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WKNQ (90.7 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: MID-SOUTH PUBLIC COMMS. FOUNDATION)
- WKNP (90.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MID-SOUTH PUBLIC COMMUNICTNS FOUNDTN)
- WMXX-FM (103.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: GERALD W. HUNT)
- WLSQ-FM (94.3 FM; DYER, TN; Owner: F. DARRELL BOYD)
- W202BG (88.3 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WZDQ (102.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: THOMAS RADIO, LLC)
- WLSZ (105.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: BOYD ENTERPRISES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Maury City:
- WJKT (Channel 16; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBBJ-TV (Channel 7; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WJTE-LP (Channel 19; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W26CJ (Channel 26; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WDYR-CA (Channel 33; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TV, INC.)
- W22BR (Channel 22; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W52CZ (Channel 52; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W64BZ (Channel 64; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W25BY (Channel 25; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W38BY (Channel 38; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W54BU (Channel 54; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W35AH (Channel 35; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Maury City fatal accident list:
Jun 30, 1996 03:20 PM, Sr189, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 7, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Aug 30, 1996 01:17 AM, Sr88, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Nov 8, 1995 08:00 AM, Chestnutbl, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jul 22, 1983 09:45 AM, S088010072, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Mar 7, 1981 01:30 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 2,780Total average daily traffic
- 166Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,384Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Maury City that have no violations reported:
- MAURY CITY WATER DEPT (Population served: 1,107, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Maury City
|Most common first names in Maury City, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Maury City, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (59%)
- Electricity (41%)
Maury City compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.