|Median resident age:||47.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04858.
South Thomaston town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $227,383 (it was $125,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,501 (96.3%)
- Two or more races - 24 (1.5%)
- Asian alone - 12 (0.8%)
- Hispanic - 10 (0.6%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.3%)
|Spruce Head Island, South Thomaston (2 replies)|
|Will Need To Relocate A Little South - Your Wisdom And Advice, Please? (102 replies)|
|Scrap thieves- depressing sign of the times (35 replies)|
|Forgive Me... (38 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4125 replies)|
|Your 5 Maine things (30 replies)|
Latest news from South Thomaston, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.8%), Irish (14.0%), German (9.3%), United States (8.3%), French (7.1%), Scottish (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 07/28/1848
Elevation: 20 feet
Land area: 10.9 square miles.
Population density: 142 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in South Thomaston:
- High school or higher: 87.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South Thomaston town:
- Never married: 18.4%
- Now married: 63.8%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 10.3%
29 residents are foreign born (1.2% Europe, 0.4% Asia, 0.3% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in South Thomaston, Maine as of May 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in South Thomaston to the number of sex offenders is 777 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|South Thomaston town:||1.2% ($1,462)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (62.2 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (154.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (327.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Owls Head, ME (1.9 miles ), Thomaston, ME (2.0 miles ), Rockland, ME (2.3 miles ), St. George, ME (2.4 miles ), Cushing, ME (2.7 miles ), Warren, ME (3.0 miles ), Rockport, ME (3.2 miles ), Friendship, ME (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $90,700
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $97,300
- 1999: 27 buildings, average cost: $89,400
- 2000: 11 buildings, average cost: $158,400
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $168,100
- 2002: 17 buildings, average cost: $208,000
- 2003: 19 buildings, average cost: $188,200
- 2004: 16 buildings, average cost: $214,100
- 2005: 22 buildings, average cost: $209,100
- 2006: 21 buildings, average cost: $247,600
- 2007: 10 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2008: 14 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2010: 10 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2011: 8 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2012: 12 buildings, average cost: $166,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.03 N, Longitude: 69.13 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (12%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Transportation equipment (3%)
- Health care (17%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (17%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in South Thomaston, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:South Thomaston-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 128.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 229.3 miles away from South Thomaston center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 53.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 259.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 36.4 miles away from South Thomaston center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 110.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 14, Storms: 10, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Snows: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near South Thomaston:
- KNO-WAL-LIN HOMECARE AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; ROCKLAND, ME)
- KNOX CENTER FOR LONG TERM CARE (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; ROCKLAND, ME)
- KNOX CENTER FOR LTC (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; ROCKLAND, ME)
- SHORE VILLAGE REHAB AND NURSING (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; ROCKLAND, ME)
- CAMDEN COMM HOSP HC CENTR (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; CAMDEN, ME)
- WINDWARD GARDENS (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CAMDEN, ME)
- FIELDCREST MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; WALDOBORO, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South Thomaston:
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 40 miles; Augusta, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,204)
- Husson University (about 58 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 61 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 63 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- University of Maine (about 64 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 67 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 69 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Public elementary/middle school in South Thomaston:
- Gilford Butler School (Students: 92; Location: 54 SPRUCE HEAD RD PO BOX 146; Grades: K-2)
Notable locations in South Thomaston: Pleasant Beach (A), Waterman Beach (B), South Thomaston Ambulance Service (C), South Thomaston Volunteer Fire Department (D), Montpelier (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in South Thomaston: Peoples United Methodist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Village Cemetery (1), Ocean View Cemetery (2), Forest Hill Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sharkeyville Creek (A), Marsh Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: New Island Store (26 Island Road), Weskeag Inn At The Water (Route 73).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 75.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2010 was 34.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 14.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 3.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 6.27. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 4.4 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in South Thomaston and their reported violations in the past:LOBSTER BUOY CAMPSITE (Population served: 100, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:WATERMANS BEACH LOBSTER (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in South Thomaston that have no violations reported:
- FOUR WINDS HOMEOWNERS ASSOC (Population served: 27, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
South Thomaston compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (82%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Wood (8%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Religion statistics for South Thomaston town (based on Knox County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 27.32%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||Episcopal Church||United Church of Christ|
|Name||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches||Jewish||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Unitarian Universalist Association||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||4.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||2.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||19.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,636 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Waldo County, ME||0.56% ($33,391 average AGI)|
|from Lincoln County, ME||0.49% ($26,645)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.33% ($37,961)|
5.10% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,672 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in South Thomaston:
- WRKD (1450 AM; 1 kW; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in South Thomaston:
- WBQX (106.9 FM; THOMASTON, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNER)
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WERU-FM (89.9 FM; BLUE HILL, ME; Owner: SALT POND COMMUNITY B/C COMPANY)
- WCME (96.7 FM; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBYA (105.5 FM; ISLESBORO, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMTED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRFR-LP (93.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: PENOBSCOT SCHOOL)
TV broadcast stations around South Thomaston:
- W64BY (Channel 64; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CRAIG MINISTRIES, INC.)
South Thomaston fatal accident list:
May 6, 2007 12:30 AM, Sr-73, Lat: 44.01174, Lon: -69.17798, Vehicles: 1, Fatalities: 1
Dec 28, 2004 08:58 PM, Buttermilk Lane, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Aug 5, 2003 11:15 PM, Sr-131, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 2, 1998 87:99 PM, Buttermilk Lane, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Aug 12, 1997 00:01 AM, 131, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Jul 22, 1988 07:13 PM, 60146015, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 3, Drunken drivers: 2
Total length: 5 meters (16ft)
Total costs: $2,415,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,993
Total average daily truck traffic: 295
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 5,670
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Fire Station Main St (Lat: 44.052861 Lon: -69.139778), Call Sign: KNGT935, Licensee ID: L00078997
Assigned Frequencies: 33.7000 MHz
Grant Date: 03/27/2013, Expiration Date: 06/13/2023
Registrant: South Thomaston, Town Of, 125 Spruce Head Road, South Thomaston, ME 04858, Phone: (207) 596-6584
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- 632 Waterman Beach Rd (Lat: 44.023139 Lon: -69.122278), Type: Building, Overall height: 6 m, Call Sign: KCE381, Licensee ID: L00001368
Assigned Frequencies: 156.350 MHz, 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHz
Grant Date: 09/08/1994, Expiration Date: 09/08/1999, Cancellation Date: 05/06/2001
Registrant: Steven L Waterman, 632 Waterman Beach Rd, South Thomaston, ME 04848
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in South Thomaston)
FAA Registered Aircraft:9 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in South Thomaston)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 8
Incident types - South Thomaston