Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
For those of you who disagree with the outcome of the court case, what is it that bothers you most?

a) That she lived so long with one set of foster parents and then had to leave?
b) The father's perceived character - that he is an ex-con who was in jail for part of her childhood?
c) The perception that the adoptive parents may be able to give her a "better" life?
d That she was adopted and the adoption was overturned?

Would you have been equally upset, if the state had chosen to place her with a different set of foster parents? Or if the father's rights had been terminated unlawfully for a different reason (i.e., this case)
Great questions, and I'm curious as to what the responses would be.

I would have added e) Fear, that if it happened to one, it could happen to any potential adoptive parents. But, in this case, transparency could have saved a lot of heartache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I suspect most will say f) all of the above.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
So after you respond can we move on?
Sure, we can move on. You have proven they don't have to be lawyers. Time will tell if this guardian acts as a lawyer.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
For those of you who disagree with the outcome of the court case, what is it that bothers you most?

b) The father's perceived character - that he is an ex-con who was in jail for part of her childhood?
c) The perception that the adoptive parents may be able to give her a "better" life?

Would you have been equally upset, if the state had chosen to place her with a different set of foster parents? Or if the father's rights had been terminated unlawfully for a different reason (i.e., this case)

In order - a) b) c) - she was never legally adopted, but it bothers me that she was not.

Yes. I would have been equally upset. She was already settled and more than content with these parents. Why find new foster - adoptive parents?

In fact, for those of us involved in adoption, moving children around is one of the most disturbing parets of foster care. Multiple care givers and frequent change of care givers can lead to RAD.
Reactive Attachment Disorder. This is a psychological syndrome that causes lifelong inabilities to form trusting relationships, hold employment and parent one's own children. There can be violent outbursts and sociopathic tendencies.

This is why some of us believe that termination should not be protracted, but delivered in a swift time frame. Termination should never be undertaken lightly. However, at times it is the sensible thing to do.

This seems to be one of those times. The entire family is a morass of dysfunction.
This is a social science. Not a guessing game. Children return to families like this one all the time. Frequently they are removed and sent to a second or third foster home. Parent does a marginal job of cleaning up his or her act. And the child is returned.

Problem with new foster family. This time the child is angry. Could RAD be setting in? Enter a fourth foster home. Back to the parent. Now the girl is 14. Mom's boyfriend rapes and beats her.

Parental rights are terminated.

Try to get a home for that child NOW!

This is not an unusual case. It's USUAL.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Many people think that CASAs are professionals - attorneys, or at the very least, social workers with a BSW. They are not.

We had an unofficial "foster child" (long story, not appropriate for now.) He was provided, as per NY State law, with a CASA and a guardian ad litam (an attorney). The CASA was horrible and readily told us and the boy that her goal was to "reunite the family". If you read the job description, that was not her job at all. It could have been an outcome, however it should not have been her agenda.

This CASA volunteer had an "axe to grind". She freely told us that CPS had ruined her family and stole her grandkids.

This link paints CASA volunteers in a very positive light. I guess, this is how they are supposed to be. It was not our experience, however.
I think most become CASA's just to ensure reunification. Regardless of the child's circumstances. It's a great concept, if only the court's had a crystal ball to screen out those similar to the one you had. Honestly, this is one of the things that angers me about the whole system. "Best interest of the Child" - yeh right!

Quote:

My answer: A through C. Choice D: it depends on the situation.

With regard to the soldier, his child was rightfully returned to him. I haven't read the story yet, but if it's the same one I'm thinking of, his wife was crazy and basically tried to get money for her child while she was simultaneously divorcing him. Plus, they were married. That adoption should have been overturned and the adoptive parents did not have the child that long.

I'm actually upset with DCS, in both states, and her bio-family. I'm not too upset with the adoptive parents or the nanny. The courts must follow the law and it's the judges interpretation of the law that ultimately matters. Yes, I would have been equally upset if the state had placed her with yet another foster family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would have added e) Fear, that if it happened to one, it could happen to any potential adoptive parents. But, in this case, transparency could have saved a lot of heartache.
For me, not fear per se, rather a clearer understanding of adoption laws and more protection for adoptive parents who are providing a safe, stable home over a significant period of time.

Lately, too many cases have been dragged out in court. And, I hate to say this, but mainly because biological parents didn't or won't get their act together in a timely manner. DCS nationwide needs an overhaul, and the federal government needs to state concretely what exactly are the rights of biological parents and adoptive parents.

Transparency would not have saved heartache here IMO. The birth father is selfish IMO. Some feel that is his God-given right. I don't. Here's how I see it:

1. He's had multiple run-ins with the law (including felonies and armed robberies)
2. He has, on record, a violent past (his violent behavior isn't something a program can resolve)
3. He allowed his infant child to be taken to a state hundreds of miles away.
4. He finally decided to retrieve his child (three months later); but he didn't go himself...Wow!
5. He was too busy to go?? Then we find out why: He was breaking the law, again!
6. He refuses to accept his role in this whole situation. Dude, you broke the law, got a 15-year sentence (reduced), and missed nearly 8-years of your child's life!! You did this. Only you.

Here's how I see the other parties involvement:

1. Nanny saw some fishy behavior and possibly knew the father's shady history
2. Nanny did not want to leave the child in his care...see No. 1
3. Nanny did not want to raise his child...something she likely realized was happening!
4. Nanny takes child to TN. Not much convincing was needed. Dad said "sure!"
5. Nanny's life is not stable; her parents are a little better; a family they knew was more ideal.
6. Hodgins family takes child in; fires nanny's mother contacts DCS to retain custody of the child.
7. Father sends brother and friend to pick up HIS daughter (still can't believe this!)
8. Police officer doesn't release child - why would she? Her father didn't even bother to show up.
9. Father gets sentenced to federal prison for 15yrs. Makes a deal to reduce sentence. Loses custody.
10. Hodgins family begins what has now become a lengthy custody battle involving the adoption of child; the overturning of the adoption; and the return of the child to her bio-dad.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-22-2014 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Added blue text...forgot to answer that question.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
What upsets me the most is that there was no transition for the child. (Caveat: I'm not a social worker-when I say transition, I just mean time for adjustment.)

Couldn't they have at least let her meet her father for a while, then maybe week end visits, then a few weeks...

it just seems so wrong-okay these are your parents. oops no they're not.

I feel the whole situation could have been handled better for the child.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
What upsets me the most is that there was no transition for the child. (Caveat: I'm not a social worker-when I say transition, I just mean time for adjustment.)

Couldn't they have at least let her meet her father for a while, then maybe week end visits, then a few weeks...

it just seems so wrong-okay these are your parents. oops no they're not.

I feel the whole situation could have been handled better for the child.
The foster parents didn't allow for a transition and visits with her father when they were ordered to do it a long time ago.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I think most become CASA's just to ensure reunification. Regardless of the child's circumstances. It's a great concept, if only the court's had a crystal ball to screen out those similar to the one you had. Honestly, this is one of the things that angers me about the whole system. "Best interest of the Child" - yeh right!
My wife was a CASA when we previously lived in another state. I think your assumptions about CASAs are wrong.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 17,220 times
The birth dad's rights to his child were never properly terminated -- the "adoptive" family wasn't her adoptive family because of it!

Birth dad has spent years trying to get his girl returned to him (as well he should!) -- and had the selfish adopters returned the girl sooner, she would be way less traumatized.

Yes, I said it. The faux-adopters done wrong!

Finally, the birth dad has kept himself and his girl away from the press - because there's a gag order and because it's in the best interest if his daughter.

The faux-adopters? Violated the gag order and Sonya's privacy repeatedly, in their selfish desire to get her back and mistaken belief that the ends justify the means.

Heck no!!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The foster parents didn't allow for a transition and visits with her father when they were ordered to do it a long time ago.
dumb!

(sorry-missed that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption