Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times

Advertisements

Ok, the political bile and rhetoric should and must be toned tone by BOTH sides. But I think we're forgetting that little thing called "personal responsibility."

I'm not defending Palin because her rhetoric has consequences, but this nut case WAS spouting bile before she was ever on the political horizon outside of AK.

Now, instead of second guessing and playing the blame game, let's hope the politicians and other people start THINKING before talking, realize there are consequences, and that Free Speech should not mean irresponsible speech because words can harm (despite that old nursery rhyme your mothers taught you).

Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
My intent here is not to start an argument, particularly not with you, who I value as a friend. But I do want to point out a different...albeit subjective...viewpoint concerning the public schools.

The liberal agenda in the public schools made it impossible for me to allow my son to continue to be subjected to them.

When he started first grade, I took it for granted that he'd be catching the schoolbus on the corner. When I called the school to ask about pickup and drop-off times, I was told that unless he was bi lingual, he couldn't ride that bus. I asked if there was another bus and was told no. The school was about a mile away...through urban streets, 3 traffic lights, and he was six years old.

Of course I rearranged my work schedule so that I could drive him, but it took about a week to do so, and not all parents have that option. It was a bit tough to explain to him why the kids across the street could catch the bus while he had to walk in the rain.

He grew up speaking Italian as well as English, but they didn't consider anything but Spanish to be "bi lingual".

Fast forward....

a little book called the "War On Boys" (any parent of a boy needs to read this and take it to heart) really opened my eyes about the public school system and the way our sons were treated by them at that time.

There is more to it, but I thank God that we were able to afford private school.

My point is that the very worst of liberalism has oozed into the public school system.
No offense taken Met. I would like to say though that the situation with the school busing would not be a liberal agenda but as often happens a good intention gone awry. It happens in all areas of governance, unintended consequences. We can and should participate in the decison making processes that affect our lives. That is why we need all of our voices to participate in our government because WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT! It takes us all on a community level, state level and federal.

I think that the beauty and greatest strength of our country is the way in which there is a fulcrum of balance built into our system. Sometimes the pendulum swings to far to the left, sometimes to the right. Theoretically we can find the balance point that reflects the needs of all of us as a society.
That doesn't mean that we won't have problems come up or problems all resolved, but that we have the ways and means to try to address them.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
Instead of pointing fingers, we need to stop coddling the mentally ill and hold them accountable for their actions. We need to lock him up in the worst mental asylum known to man and throw away the key.
Lets not miss the fact that the above is just as much missing the point as are the demands that Palin be arrested.

Arresting loud mouthed irresponsible politicians is no more productive than torturing the mentally ill. (Assuming there is actually a difference between the two, people like Palin need to be ignored and people like Loughner need to be helped; before the shooting starts, not after.)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Pot stirring piece-of-crap like Palin, Limbaugh and the blond b-itch Ann Coulter

They all 4 outta be bled out in a ditch somewhere....
How is the above statement any different than exactly the kind of pot stirring the named individuals do?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Somehow the fact that the Republican Party held a fundraiser on June 10th 2010 at which the republican candidate and contributors shot at pictures of Gabby Giffords with an M-16 Rifle upsets me more than the graphics on Palins site
Just to clarify to everyone - this did not happen (people shooting at targets of Gabby Giffords. It was an event, featuring target shooting, not at images of Giffords in any way, shape, or manner). He has been spamming the same incorrect message in every forum the last few days - moderators have been notified, not for his factual error, we can deal with liars in our own way, but for spamming.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Palin may not be directly to blame for the psychopath going on the shooting rampage in Tucson but she is part of the crusade in the ultraconservative wing that can be dangerous if heard and adhered to by the wrong people.

I'm not really calling for a limit to free speech, I just think the sheriff was correct when he said there is a lot of bigotry and vitriol out there and the right-wingers seem to be the experts at dishing it out.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Or she knew it would be discovered that she actually had some kinda contact with the lunatic shooter..
Way to be a part of the solution.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Quote:
Pot stirring piece-of-crap like Palin, Limbaugh and the blond b-itch Ann Coulter

They all 4 outta be bled out in a ditch somewhere....
How is the above statement any different than exactly the kind of pot stirring the named individuals do?
Obviously, his posted should be reported to the FBI as well. And if anything should happen to one of those individuals in the future, I'm sure he would agree he is now liable for civil damages.

In the "new" America he and the other vociferous proponents are advocating for, they would be the first ones arrested.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Obviously, his posted should be reported to the FBI as well. And if anything should happen to one of those individuals in the future, I'm sure he would agree he is now liable for civil damages.

In the "new" America he and the other vociferous proponents are advocating for, they would be the first ones arrested.
This is getting to be a vicious circle of vociferous proponents!

Palin is getting her's in return. She called for Julien Assange who made headlines with the Wikileaks documents to be "hunted down ... like the Taliban"; now Assange has called for Palin to be arrested because he want authorities to "aggressively pursue justice". We might note that Assange is being slightly more civil of tongue than Palin...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The point is not that both sides are culpable. I think it is true that some people are trying to make that point but I don't agree with it.

My point is that neither side is culpable in this particular tragedy. There is absolutely no culpability by the loony lefties or the rabid right.

Both sides have the right to rant and rave and scream about the other. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. As long as the rhetoric is just that...rhetoric and not a real threat, it is free speech.

There is plenty of that right here in the Alaska forum. If we are too "sensitive" for that then we should go play somewhere else. While I try not to directly bash another member I do understand how emotions often take over the keyboard.

Marty,

Clearly we have different perspectives. But I enjoyed this conversation with you.

Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska