Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Little problem with your analysis there... that was described as "during the territorial days", not as today.

You have to be aware that what was described pretty much fit about 98% of all Alaskans at the time mentioned!

And you also need to know that 20 years after the pipeline started spewing money at Anchorage and the MatSu Valley, most of the people living in bush Alaska (half the population of the state) still did not have flush toilets.
Floyd...we are getting off topic here but I'm intriqued with your ideas about the fact that since most of the wealth in Alaska comes from the bush, the people in the bush should get a larger share of that wealth than they are currently receiving.

You and I are on opposite ends of most political spectrums. But to some extent I agree with you on this point. You have obviously thought about this quite a bit so I am wondering how you think that wealth should be distributed to the people in the bush.

Right now it seems to be sent to schools, airports, etc. But it seems to me that there might be a better way.

Really, this will never happen but I have said in this thread that ALL the oil income really should be distributed equally to all the residents to spend how they wish. The state should be run off an income tax system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Floyd...we are getting off topic here but I'm intriqued with your ideas about the fact that since most of the wealth in Alaska comes from the bush, the people in the bush should get a larger share of that wealth than they are currently receiving.

You and I are on opposite ends of most political spectrums. But to some extent I agree with you on this point. You have obviously thought about this quite a bit so I am wondering how you think that wealth should be distributed to the people in the bush.

Right now it seems to be sent to schools, airports, etc. But it seems to me that there might be a better way.

Really, this will never happen but I have said in this thread that ALL the oil income really should be distributed equally to all the residents to spend how they wish. The state should be run off an income tax system.
I don't see money, counted in dollar bills, as "equal" in any way.

What should be equalized are things like health care and education. And of course that is almost certainly impossible to do, technically, regardless of how much money is thrown at the problem.

Hence there are no simple answers. But those who suggest dividing government up on a per capita basis, whether that is how Federal funding to Alaska vs California should be allocated or for determining the State's education funding for Anchorage vs Buckland, is either abject stupidity (which is exactly what most conservatives are) or greed (which includes virtually all conservatives).

I don't have the answers. I don't know precisely where to draw the lines. But one look at the unjustly unequal differences in education, infant mortality, sanitation, and a few other inequities that are grossly out of proportion clearly indicates an immoral disparity.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Little problem with your analysis there... that was described as "during the territorial days", not as today.

You have to be aware that what was described pretty much fit about 98% of all Alaskans at the time mentioned!

And you also need to know that 20 years after the pipeline started spewing money at Anchorage and the MatSu Valley, most of the people living in bush Alaska (half the population of the state) still did not have flush toilets.
Floyd...I think that Ship was talking about something else. The person he was responding to does live as described and has made it clear more than once what he thinks of the rest of us.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Quote:
I don't see money, counted in dollar bills, as "equal" in any way.

What should be equalized are things like health care and education. And of course that is almost certainly impossible to do, technically, regardless of how much money is thrown at the problem.

Hence there are no simple answers. But those who suggest dividing government up on a per capita basis, whether that is how Federal funding to Alaska vs California should be allocated or for determining the State's education funding for Anchorage vs Buckland, is either abject stupidity (which is exactly what most conservatives are) or greed (which includes virtually all conservatives).

I don't have the answers. I don't know precisely where to draw the lines. But one look at the unjustly unequal differences in education, infant mortality, sanitation, and a few other inequities that are grossly out of proportion clearly indicates an immoral disparity.
So you want to see more equal results. It's difficult to get an equal education when it's impossible to put a college in every village. It should be possible to get equal access to education on-line however.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,067 times
I would keep extra money on hand for the return trip.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Floyd...I think that Ship was talking about something else. The person he was responding to does live as described and has made it clear more than once what he thinks of the rest of us.
Ship quoted exactly the article being referred to. The analysis wasn't valid.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
So you want to see more equal results. It's difficult to get an equal education when it's impossible to put a college in every village. It should be possible to get equal access to education on-line however.
"More equal" is right, but probably doesn't provide the right connotation.

How about more just. Why are we spending billions for anything close to frivolous when there are people crapping in buckets and dipping water out of a 30 gallon trash can? What is there that can justify the horrible drop out rates for Native children from our school system? What is just about a third world infant mortality rate in most parts of Alaska?

When everyone has the basics to the degree that modern technology allows, then we can look at things we "want" as opposed to what we "need".

Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Ship quoted exactly the article being referred to. The analysis wasn't valid.
I know what he quoted but I think he was referring to ...well, something more general. But I'll let him explain if that's the case.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
You've been trolled. Notice Anne hasn't posted in a few days?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You've been trolled. Notice Anne hasn't posted in a few days?
posters like Anne/Annie usually don't last long as they really do not fit in here or in many places for that matter. The color of the sky in their world is different then most!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska