Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the OP would be a better fit for Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM

442 posts, read 552,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
From what you have said, you don't need a city..Anchorage...

Any town on the road system will have internet and docs, most towns close have air service, which would be faster than car if not in Anchorage, for medical personel, or if an emergency, you could be sent to Seattle....

Basic fruits and vegs..can be suboptimal at times depending on where you are, other times a good deal, dehydrate, freeze, can when prices are right for use down the road...Good luck, but you said settling on Vermont right?
Well, I am not the only who has a say in this, but I am leaning ATM, towards Vermont. Yeah it sounds you really need to plan your meals, and times of the year you grow or buy what...which is something to get used to, considering I live in Southern California, with year-round access to everything, and being able to grow pretty much anything in your garden is pretty do-able. Thank you though. I appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM

442 posts, read 552,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I can't imagine anyone caring what she does or doesn't eat---no one in Alaska has ever given me a rough time for not being a red meat eater. But a dependence on shipped in food doesn't strike me as being "progressive" at all, and in a lot of parts of the state it would be impossible to live off of the offerings of a local market without consuming animal products.

Anyone who's interested in what a 100 mile diet is like in SE Alaska should look up Gramma'sCabin's postings.

And I don't think that diet and politics are all that closely related in Alaska the way that they are in urban liberal land.
You seem to keep throwing your passive-aggressive insults towards me still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You might want to go to the Idaho forum.....they say some parts of Idaho are like Alaska. If you like the snow you might try Sun Valley first choice for a liberal town and McCall is in between. As far as people not hunting and talking about it, you won't find people being silent.

Hunting is a way of life here, some people can't get enough of it. I think where ever you move in the mountains, you will find hunting as a way of life.

You won't have a problem finding vegans, the two towns above have plenty......... Health food stores and grocery stores that sell organic fruits and vegetables.
I have been in mountain towns where hunting isn't very prevalent. But everywhere seems a tad different too. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it as well. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Sounds like the OP would be a better fit for Vermont.
Maybe so, maybe not.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
I have long stated that for the majority of the worlds' population, Diet is more a function of "what you have", than "what you would rather be eating". Arguing over what you are going to have for dinner is, in the eyes of most of the world, a luxurious argument.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Well, I am not the only who has a say in this, but I am leaning ATM, towards Vermont. Yeah it sounds you really need to plan your meals, and times of the year you grow or buy what...which is something to get used to, considering I live in Southern California, with year-round access to everything, and being able to grow pretty much anything in your garden is pretty do-able. Thank you though. I appreciate it.
So true...AK is definitely not the same as CA....especially with a garden, you will probably not survive if not preserving your produce..then paying a premium, but there are come-on deals in the stores...not so much organic...Vermont gets cold too, but I would assume more in stock in the stores..and Met was right, no one judges on diet in AK...you do what you need to do when you need to do it with what is available, and as she said look up GrammasCabin's posts...she forages, cans, smokes...etc. A lot to learn from her, she is an inspiration to meat-eaters, and non

Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
i would recommend oregon, except that they're a bit tired of californians moving there (as people in many states are).

Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Ok, so to get past that, my needs are just fine, with basic vegetables and fruits, and grains.
If you really are "green" you should look into the "basic vegetables, fruits, and grains" that are grown in quantity up here. Realistically, unless you are married to your greenhouse and an ace at preserving your own food, you are almost certainly going to be eating from out-of-state. I can tell you that where I am the selection at the grocery store is not only pricey, but also not exactly the peak of freshness and deliciousness. The cost and selection are more reasonable in Anchorage and Fairbanks (although probably not what you are used to) as the markets there are large enough to bring stuff up in bulk, but there is still the shipping issue, and the environmental and social impacts of farming practices at the sources, to consider if you are honest with yourself about the green factor.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Well, again, you are trying to give me a bad rap, and you want me to make some sort of an apology? I never made awful posts towards anyone! People were more than nasty to me, ganging up on me BECAUSE OF MY BELIEFS, and the only one who has been nasty here now in this thread, is you! REALLY! You keep saying what an awful poster I am, and you keep talking about crap that nobody but you, cares about. LET IT GO! I have, and I don't care about it. Breathe deep....exhale...
I don't have to give you a bad rap; you did that all on your own during your last time around here. Again, the worst of your postings during that time aren't available to the average poster here but the mods can see them.

One or two people were nasty to you during that time because of your beliefs and I personally reported more than one of HighandMightyLandLady's posts to you.

But for the most part, it wasn't your "beliefs" that people so strongly objected to. It was your presentation of them and your responses to those who gave you honest advice that wasn't what you wanted to hear. It was your assertions that anyone who ate meat (or supported anyone else's right to do so) was automatically a neocon who was attacking you for your "beliefs".

We don't care what your beliefs are but don't shove them in our faces.

When you ask about diet/food in Alaska, you're going to get responses specific to hunting and fishing. It's a huge part of living here and it's a much more sustainable way to live than supporting the agribusinesses of the lower 48.

There are very few people living in Alaska whose diet does not partially consist of wild foods.

The "divide" between liberals and conservatives isn't as absolute as it can seem in parts of California, etc. The outer trappings aren't quite there in the same way.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal
I have been in mountain towns where hunting isn't very prevalent. But everywhere seems a tad different too. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it as well. Thanks.
Seeing your in CA, I can see how you would be in the mountains with no hunting. I would say any state that has gun rights, will have plenty of hunters.

By the way not slamming you for being in CA, I used to live there. My extended family can't take most of the rural living in Idaho, let alone Alaska. Needless to say, no one followed us to the mountains.

Good luck with your move!!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
You seem to keep throwing your passive-aggressive insults towards me still.

Maybe so, maybe not.
Not at all. Just pointing out that diet isn't as closely related to politics in Alaska as it is in urban liberalia. That ain't nothing but the truth and if you find it insulting I can't help that.

There aren't any mountain towns in Alaska, btw. Girdwood comes the closest. But mountain communities as they exist in the lower 48 don't exist here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska