Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM

442 posts, read 552,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Ok Annie, giving you the benefit of the doubt, do you at least eat fish...you would definitely have a problem in AK if you don't as very spendy...are you comtemplating moving to AK for real? I agree a vegan diet can be healthy, but you cannot put down the views and beliefs of those who live there if you want to be welcomed...just sayin...you got a rise again with the same attitude...this is by no means personal, just pointing out....
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I have eaten fish before, but maybe once a year I will eat a tuna sandwich or something like that. I really am not too focused on my diet or available plants, but I guess that depends if I actually do wind up there. Right now I am leaning towards Vermont TBH, because of the health care situation. I do however, have this idea in my head that I could really love it up there.

My teenage daughter eats meat, and I don't like it, but that is her choice. I don't buy her meat mind you, but she will occasionally eat it with friends, etc. My mom eats meat on a rare occasion, and I don't usually say too much. I am very outspoken, and sometimes it can be hard to do, but I do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
So you continue to insult me, and say how horrible and venomous I am, and I screamed at everyone. I think a mod would look at this thread, and see that I am simply defending myself, and I have been treated pretty much less than welcome, by you.
The last time that you were here, your posts towards people were so awful that most of them were deleted. The regular posters here can't see those posts but it's my understanding that the mods can.

Even though Rance or whichever mod handled it did you a favor and deleted your posts, you should still take some responsibility for them. You were figuratively spitting in people's faces.

Now, as far as where in Alaska you should live...most of the communities mentioned don't have a big enough grocery store for your needs. And even in places like Talkeetna and Ester, the signs of hunting and fishing are going to be everywhere, which will probably be too much for you to take. People talk about it a lot as well.

Anchorage is probably the only place where your dietary needs could be met with what is available in the stores.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Around here it's pretty conservative, and you'd probably get some wisecracks and eye-rolls (especially over the PETA stuff), but a friendly, laid-back liberal who could take a joke would be fine here. Most people don't really care enough to make a big deal about someone's political ideas. But someone who's self-righteous, arrogant, or has a victim mentality won't make friends no matter what their political leanings are.
Yeah, that seems to be the case with most Americans, and heck, I live in one of the most conservative places of them all. I mainly want to be around nature, as I hate city life. I have had a taste of country and mountain living, and I really want to go back to it, and stay there. I am not a fan of traffic, milions of people everywhere, the overall materialism, etc.
Quote:
No that is my personal opinion...as you have shown going after everyone here that you disagree with....
I post my opinion, mainly on political forums, where things get heated up. Obviously everyone is arguing and proving points, but that is the whole nature of the political forums! I just happen to be way more left leaning than most people.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The last time that you were here, your posts towards people were so awful that most of them were deleted. The regular posters here can't see those posts but it's my understanding that the mods can.

Even though Rance or whichever mod handled it did you a favor and deleted your posts, you should still take some responsibility for them. You were figuratively spitting in people's faces.

Now, as far as where in Alaska you should live...most of the communities mentioned don't have a big enough grocery store for your needs. And even in places like Talkeetna and Ester, the signs of hunting and fishing are going to be everywhere, which will probably be too much for you to take. People talk about it a lot as well.

Anchorage is probably the only place where your dietary needs could be met with what is available in the stores.
Well, again, you are trying to give me a bad rap, and you want me to make some sort of an apology? I never made awful posts towards anyone! People were more than nasty to me, ganging up on me BECAUSE OF MY BELIEFS, and the only one who has been nasty here now in this thread, is you! REALLY! You keep saying what an awful poster I am, and you keep talking about crap that nobody but you, cares about. LET IT GO! I have, and I don't care about it. Breathe deep....exhale...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Yeah, that seems to be the case with most Americans, and heck, I live in one of the most conservative places of them all. I mainly want to be around nature, as I hate city life. I have had a taste of country and mountain living, and I really want to go back to it, and stay there. I am not a fan of traffic, milions of people everywhere, the overall materialism, etc.

I post my opinion, mainly on political forums, where things get heated up. Obviously everyone is arguing and proving points, but that is the whole nature of the political forums! I just happen to be way more left leaning than most people.

But CD Alaska is technically not a political forum, CD has their own own category for politics...I would say beyond that...try to play nice with the locals....IMO...

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Ok, so to get past that, my needs are just fine, with basic vegetables and fruits, and grains. You really don't know me, or what I can take, so please stop assuming you know. If you are genuinely trying to be helpful, but don't realize you are coming off as sort of insulting, I do apologize.

I heard Anchorage is pretty nice. I will look more into that option as well. I can't be too far into the sticks, because we will need internet, and my mom will need access to regular doctors and the like.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
But CD Alaska is technically not a political forum, CD has their own own category for politics...I would say beyond that...try to play nice with the locals....IMO...
Yeah I know, I post mainly in the political forums, but I figured asking Alaskans about liberal cities wasn't too out of line. I usually am fine with most people.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Ok, so to get past that, my needs are just fine, with basic vegetables and fruits, and grains. You really don't know me, or what I can take, so please stop assuming you know. If you are genuinely trying to be helpful, but don't realize you are coming off as sort of insulting, I do apologize.

I heard Anchorage is pretty nice. I will look more into that option as well. I can't be too far into the sticks, because we will need internet, and my mom will need access to regular doctors and the like.
From what you have said, you don't need a city..Anchorage...

Any town on the road system will have internet and docs, most towns close have air service, which would be faster than car if not in Anchorage, for medical personel, or if an emergency, you could be sent to Seattle....

Basic fruits and vegs..can be suboptimal at times depending on where you are, other times a good deal, dehydrate, freeze, can when prices are right for use down the road...Good luck, but you said settling on Vermont right?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Ok Annie, giving you the benefit of the doubt, do you at least eat fish...you would definitely have a problem in AK if you don't as very spendy to be vegan, considering all supplies are shipped in and always optimal as far as produce, depending where you are located...are you comtemplating moving to AK for real? I agree a vegan diet can be healthy, but you cannot put down the views and beliefs of those who live there if you want to be welcomed...just sayin...you got a rise again with the same attitude...this is by no means personal, just pointing out....
I can't imagine anyone caring what she does or doesn't eat---no one in Alaska has ever given me a rough time for not being a red meat eater. But a dependence on shipped in food doesn't strike me as being "progressive" at all, and in a lot of parts of the state it would be impossible to live off of the offerings of a local market without consuming animal products.

Anyone who's interested in what a 100 mile diet is like in SE Alaska should look up Gramma'sCabin's postings.

And I don't think that diet and politics are all that closely related in Alaska the way that they are in urban liberal land.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:

You might want to go to the Idaho forum.....they say some parts of Idaho are like Alaska. If you like the snow you might try Sun Valley first choice for a liberal town and McCall is in between. As far as people not hunting and talking about it, you won't find people being silent.

Hunting is a way of life here, some people can't get enough of it. I think where ever you move in the mountains, you will find hunting as a way of life.

You won't have a problem finding vegans, the two towns above have plenty......... Health food stores and grocery stores that sell organic fruits and vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska