Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
posters like Anne/Annie usually don't last long as they really do not fit in here or in many places for that matter. The color of the sky in their world is different then most!
I think she's been given a time out like the last time she came trolling around here.

She was here doing the exact same thing years ago, as I've already said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think she's been given a time out like the last time she came trolling around here.

She was here doing the exact same thing years ago, as I've already said.
ohhh..was hoping she just went back into her lalala land.....but time out is good too!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I know what he quoted but I think he was referring to ...well, something more general. But I'll let him explain if that's the case.
Yes, I was. My point was that there seem to be some people who live in the bush and look down on those who don't because those people don't live sustenance lifestyles or whatever, and those people seem to like to come on the forum and speak their mind. Yet, since those people are internet users, they aren't really living the totally off-the-grid lifestyle that they portray.

Basically I find it annoying when people brag about living in the bush and imply that those who don't are inferior.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yes, I was. My point was that there seem to be some people who live in the bush and look down on those who don't because those people don't live sustenance lifestyles or whatever, and those people seem to like to come on the forum and speak their mind. Yet, since those people are internet users, they aren't really living the totally off-the-grid lifestyle that they portray.
Okay. (That isn't what you said, but I'll accept it as what you wanted to say.)

I haven't seen anyone (at least that I can remember) who had any credible claim to living a subsistence (I assume that is what you really meant when you said "sustenance") lifestyle. If someone did claim such I've probably totally ignored them as not being credible.

We have had all number of people who said they were going to come here and do that. None of them have had any experience in Alaska at all though...

We do have a pretty fair number of people living in the bush who make no claim at all to being subsistence based to any great degree. Most people in the bush are at least partially subsistence based, but everyone I can recall here has been only barely part of that. We (and that includes me) have almost all made references to other people, our neighbors, who commonly are more subsistence based than not.

Your concept that subsistence and "off-grid" means that we should not be connected to the Internet is amusing. Why should anyone in the bush, subsistence based or not, be excluded from the Internet? Or electricty, telephones, flush toilets, running water and gasoline power transportation?

I do want to live off the road system. I have spend my entire life providing high technology telecommunications to bush locations. I've never seen any contradiction in that...

Quote:
Basically I find it annoying when people brag about living in the bush and imply that those who don't are inferior.
I don't recall anyone living in the bush saying that. I've seen some of these fantasy world folks who say they are going to go live in the bush, some day, who say that. But there are several bushwackers who regularly post here, and while we might each at various times have a list of reasons why some who are living in other places are inferior, it isn't based on where they live but on what they think, say, and do.

We don't really think you folks not living in the bush are necessarily inferior, just necessarily unfortunate. :-)

Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
We don't really think you folks not living in the bush are necessarily inferior, just necessarily unfortunate. :-)

I would bet a years pay that YOU are the ONLY ONE who thinks in this manner. did you actually take the time to read that last sentence ??

I think it very unfortunate that you consistently post the exact opposite of what the truth actually is. You seem to enjoy it - you do it so much, so consistently & constantly. No one could possibly be making that many mistakes due to ignorance. But for some reason this is your quest. to provide opposite mis-information and are proud to convince others of your falsehoods.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Floyd--the guy in question--bushrat--has made it more than clear concerning what he thinks about us. That' what this is about. You can try to argue it death or fuss it into the ground but that doesn't change the attitude that is being responded to.

You've probably missed some things but I see Ship's point completely.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
I don't think I've ever bragged about living in the bush, or about anything here in CD...unlike one person in particular.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I don't think I've ever bragged about living in the bush, or about anything here in CD...unlike one person in particular.
You just bragged about not bragging

Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Dangit!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 PM

455 posts, read 743,586 times
I'm currently living a subsistence life. Subsisting off of roast moose, strawberry-banana Yoplait yogurt, and a big fat internet pipe. And I do indeed look down on the Dannon folks.

Last edited by ArcticState; 04-16-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska