Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:41 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times

Advertisements

The irony of the present "crisis" in Juneau lies in the fact that those powerlines SHOULD have been run as an undersea cable in the first place. When the current route was chosen, it wasn't because it was the better option, it was because it was the cheaper option . They decided to run the lines above-ground (and right through avalanche territory) to "save" money. I'm betting that there's a few engineers at light and power that are kicking themselves right about now, and another group that's got "I told you so" saved as a macro on their word processing programs.

And as far as the capitol move idea goes...is it me or has everyone lost sight of the fact that the legislature is only supposed to be in session a couple months a year? Even if there's a special session your representative should be at home in his/her district the majority of the year. We elect these folks to represent us at the legislature, "representative"...sound familiar? They're not puppets on strings that need to be micro-managed second by second during the session. By the time they get to Juneau they ought to have a REALLY good idea just what their constitutents really want, and what they DON'T want as well. Regardless of where the session is held, if you haven't made your views known by the time they get to JNU it's already too late.

Personally, I think the fact that the legislature is located in a slightly difficult to reach place is a major bonus. In a state as big and rural as Alaska, you can't have all the major spending decisons made by people that never have to leave the big city. By the numbers, the reps from ANC and the valley already have a whole lot of influence, many would say TOO much. It's critical that they get to regularly and personally experience some of the transportation and other issues that affect the more rural areas of Alaska, lest they forget how the rest of us live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The irony of the present "crisis" in Juneau lies in the fact that those powerlines SHOULD have been run as an undersea cable in the first place. When the current route was chosen, it wasn't because it was the better option, it was because it was the cheaper option . They decided to run the lines above-ground (and right through avalanche territory) to "save" money. I'm betting that there's a few engineers at light and power that are kicking themselves right about now, and another group that's got "I told you so" saved as a macro on their word processing programs.
I don't know the details, but for example if they could not get the money and did not have the money... then the more economical design is also the only viable design. (Now, somebody tell me they asked the State for financial assistance, and didn't get it... :-)
Quote:
And as far as the capitol move idea goes...is it me or has everyone lost sight of the fact that the legislature is only supposed to be in session a couple months a year? Even if there's a special session your representative should be at home in his/her district the majority of the year. We elect these folks to represent us at the legislature, "representative"...sound familiar? They're not puppets on strings that need to be micro-managed second by second during the session. By the time they get to Juneau they ought to have a REALLY good idea just what their constitutents really want, and what they DON'T want as well. Regardless of where the session is held, if you haven't made your views known by the time they get to JNU it's already too late.
That is an idealized perception, and is not at all realistic. In many cases a legislator may not even know that an issue is about to come up, much less what people at home feel about it. In every case, on any issue of importance to anyone with money (the oil industry being the obvious example, but don't forget that for several years Alascom and GCI were just as lavish with their efforts to lobby the Legislature) there will be massive efforts at persuasion, some of it very helpful and some of it outright criminal, that are directed at the Legislature. The essential job of a lobbiest is to provide information that the legislators can use in making decisions. They of course do that extremely well (in addition, of course, to paying bribes, etc., but...).

The original problem, in the first decade of statehood, was that it was absolutely impossible to communicate with anyone in Juneau. There was no way to discuss developments with your lobbiest, never mind your legislator! Nobody had a clue what was developing until it was a done deal, signed sealed and delivered!

It was very frustrating, because both legislators and lobbiest could and would end up being swayed by others (smooth talking snake oil sales people, of course) whose interests were not necessarily those of the people back home. Some of the total surprises that used to come out of the Legislature were simply astounding, and hugely annoying.

That is exactly why we voted initially to move the capital. But very soon after that the world changed dramatically. Satellite technology became available and was installed throughout Alaska. We could actually call someone in Juneau (or FAX them) and have a chat. Indeed, digital switching technology came to Alaska long before it did to most of the US, and by perhaps 1985 Alaska had virtually 100% digitial switching in the Public Switched Telephone Network at a time when the US as a whole was only 33% digital. There simply was no longer any need to move the capital.

And that of course is the reason that every vote on the capital issue since then has failed, and it appears will continue to fail, and is the reason the current Governor and several legislators are trying to do an end run to move the capital without a vote.

Quote:
Personally, I think the fact that the legislature is located in a slightly difficult to reach place is a major bonus. In a state as big and rural as Alaska, you can't have all the major spending decisons made by people that never have to leave the big city. By the numbers, the reps from ANC and the valley already have a whole lot of influence, many would say TOO much. It's critical that they get to regularly and personally experience some of the transportation and other issues that affect the more rural areas of Alaska, lest they forget how the rest of us live.
Dead on, bullseye!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
well, for what it's worth, no one I know is in a blind panic over this power issue. In fact, it may have a happy ending of some sort. There is a run on anything "energy efficient" (light bulbs,etc) and when it is all said and done, Juneau will be more energy efficient as a whole than before.
And as far as the towers go, at the office we all agree that mess was an accident way over due to happen.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I was wondering if people would turn to alternate forms of energy or practice conservation. Perhaps Juneau could wind up being an inspiration to the rest of the lower 48.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Since I didn't claim you did, who are you talking about?

What I said was that you do think Fairbanks would benefit (and I said nothing about that being exclusive), and I'm saying that Fairbanks will not benefit. They'll lose too, just like the bush will lose.

Not true. The distribution of the pork has never been fair, and it will become more unfair. Why? Simply because today Anchorage, Bethel, Point Hope, and Barrow all have equal access to State Government. Move the capital close to Anchorage, and that is not going to be even close to true.

Moving the capital simply would not make for better State government; it would only make for more lop sided State government.

But you cannot make it equally accessible to all Alaskans as long as you insist on the road. A road is a Lower-48 centric concept in the first place, and is simply not valid in Alaska.

Back in the 1960's and early 70' the government was not accessible to much of anyone, and that is why the vote to move it passed. That is no longer true today. Juneau has much improved access via air, and for 99.9 percent of all daily business the telecommunications networks that we have today are far better than access via a road.

What we need is better State government, and moving the capital is a step away from that.

Lets also keep in mind that no vote a capital move since the 1960's has passed. What we are seeing now are attempts to skirt the well known fact that any vote on moving it would fail.
Accessible to the majority of Alaskans, which are not by Juneau, but in the interior and around Anchorage. But it does not matter what you and I have to say about it. The capital will eventually be moved from Juneau to a central location, just like it is in most of the lower-48 States. Bethel, Juneau, and the rest will still have representatives like always. These folks would have to fly to Anchorage, Willow, whatever...but at least it will be a small group of representatives flying, instead of the majority flying to Juneau.

Pork is pork, and it happens all over Alaska. Even if Juneau doesn't receive as much pork as Anchorage, it still receives more than smaller communities around Juneau. If Juneau was accessible by road, then we would not be talking about moving the capital to another place. Keep in mind that I am not the only person who feels this way about the capital, and you can see that in the conversation taking place in other Alaska forums.
-------
Xa'at: Please accept my most sincere apologies for straying from the main subject.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Accessible to the majority of Alaskans, which are not by Juneau, but in the interior and around Anchorage.
Every part of the state currently as the best access. Pick up your telephone. It cost pennies.
Quote:
But it does not matter what you and I have to say about it.
That is true, and you need to remember that the majority of Alaskans have repeatedly said "NO!" Sneaking it in through a non-voter approved means is not right, not smart, and not good government in any way shape or form.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I am not the only person who feels this way about the capital, and you can see that in the conversation taking place in other Alaska forums.
True, there are always going to be people who put their self interests above the good of the State as a whole.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Amazingly enough, it feels like a sort of time warp hitting me on the face all over again- where I was trying to maintain a dialog with User-2

Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Amazingly enough, it feels like a sort of time warp hitting me on the face all over again- where I was trying to maintain a dialog with User-2

Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Lets also keep in mind that no vote a capital move since the 1960's has passed.
Well, Ray, User2 would never post such a thing.

Capital Move History (broken link)

Seems it passed in '74 but most of us knew that already.

The leg. has a special session coming up in a couple of months. I wonder if they'll try to move it somewhere besides Juneau because of the power issue.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, Ray, User2 would never post such a thing.

Capital Move History (broken link)

Seems it passed in '74 but most of us knew that already.
Oh, goodness, my mistake. I was off by 5 years. It was in 1974 that the one and the only vote to pass for moving the capital.
Clearly my concept of the history is precisely correct. In 1974 construction of the pipeline began and we knew that money was soon to come. In 1975-6 we started installing telecommunications infrastructure for a satellite network. It killed the capital move with voters forever.

Here we are 34 years later and not a single vote since has supported such a move. Indeed, the last two such votes failed by 2:1 and 3:1 margins!

Not such a popular idea with voters, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska