Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 03:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I don't know about the accent, my dad grew up in Mississippi and doesn't sound a bit like that there in Wasilla. But you get him around a few folks with the accent and he starts sounding just like them and he hasn't changed a bit.

I have no Idea of how Palin grew up with her family's accent from where her parents are from, but because she spoke without an accent on TV, doesn't mean she didn't have one.

I don't know anyone that I can say has accent that is "Stupid" because of it... ok, some... But mostly people talk the way they do.

I have friends that are Alaskan Natives, and that are very intelligent and when they want can speak flawless English, but sometimes slip to the "Native" accent. I don't think of them any less smart for it, they still communicate what they want just fine.

Palin can talk with a Great Lakes Accent, or what we call "Plain English" for us in Alaska, but isn't normal for someone else, to whom we sound funny and maybe concidered stupid by their "Racist Views".

I think attacking anyone for their accent is a waste of time.
I never attacked Palin for her accent. I said that I believe that the accent and the folksy winking doggone it by gosh act is an act, based on having heard her speak, and based on having met her parents, who don't sound like that at all. Her manner of speaking during the election was probably contrived by the McCain campaign in order to appeal to the base. The same observation has been made by people who were in daily contact with the former governor before she became VP pick.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-22-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
What they kind of miss telling it the entire story, how long had she been there signing books, at some point anyone can get exhausted, she may have reached that point and needed to get some sleep. It does appear to be dark there and she started sometime during the morning.

I wouldn't put much faith in that video being a stake in her heart, they didn't sound mean either, more of a friendly taunt...
I don't think it sounded much like friendly taunting and the transcripts didn't read that way either. Of course she got tired; a brief explanation addressed to the crowd would have diffused the situation.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:25 PM

By the way, here's a bit of elitist trivia: A Rhodes Scholarship provides two years of study at Oxford in England, with an optional third. President Clinton declined to stay for the third in order to attend Yale Law School.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If she ran against Mark Begich during the next Senate Race, she would mop the floor with him.

She is still highly electible in the State of Alaska. Could really care less what "Outsiders" think of Alaska either.

But would she be better than Begich, who knows, she certianly won't be worse.
I think she could win against Begich. I doubt she could win against Murkowski. But I'd be surprised if she went for his seat as elected office just doesn't seem like her forte.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
In answer to the OP's question:

No. It's been much more fun listening to Andrew Halcro in tux ("the effite young chap" in Going Rogue) reading aloud his fireside chapters of Going Rogue. I highly recommend his read-alouds which have been growing daily.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I never attacked Palin for her accent. I said that I believe that the accent and the folksy winking doggone it by gosh act is an act, based on having heard her speak, and based on having met her parents, who don't sound like that at all. Her manner of speaking during the election was probably contrived by the McCain campaign in order to appeal to the base. The same observation has been made by people who were in daily contact with the former governor before she became VP pick.
Never blamed you on Palin's accent, but it was more of a generic response for those that have.

I hear people complain about the Southern Accent as if they were dumb, which I don't see that as factual, there are some real idiots that speak what most of us would call plain English and they can't figure out how to open a Hostess "Ding-Dong".

Obama has a "White" accent, but that has never been any kind of measure of his doing a good job or not, at least for me. He is doing a terrible job in my opinion, but I can state exactly what he has done that I don't like, the people he has surrounded himself with and so forth.

I listen to people bang on Palin and that "Most" don't have a clue to what she is about other than what they saw on SNL. You and some others on the other hand have real reasons why you don't care for her and that is what politics are about, having some level of intelligence about a position.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
By the way, here's a bit of elitist trivia: A Rhodes Scholarship provides two years of study at Oxford in England, with an optional third. President Clinton declined to stay for the third in order to attend Yale Law School.
I thought he was only there for one year?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
No. It's been much more fun listening to Andrew Halcro in tux ("the effite young chap" in Going Rogue) reading aloud his fireside chapters of Going Rogue. I highly recommend his read-alouds which have been growing daily.
Where are you getting this? First I've heard of it...I'm missing out!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
He was there, but never really received the diploma that everyone claims he had because he left early.

Clinton a TRUE Rhodes Scholar? - Deaf Online

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
He was there, but never really received the diploma that everyone claims he had because he left early.

Clinton a TRUE Rhodes Scholar? - Deaf Online

But if you read his autobiography's, they all claim he was there, but none claim he graduated... which is like saying I went to UAF and then just give the impression that I graduated... little white lie....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska