Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM

31 posts, read 77,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I prefer to go barefoot if I can.
Me too!! If I wanna have that "barefoot" feeling, yet still have shoes on, I go with my Vibram Five Fingers below.

I'd love to see catrinac's reaction to these if I were hanging around in uptown .

Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakBoy View Post
Me too!! If I wanna have that "barefoot" feeling, yet still have shoes on, I go with my Vibram Five Fingers below.

I'd love to see catrinac's reaction to these if I were hanging around in uptown .

Gee, those look a little like Ewok feet from Star Wars...!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac
ABQ Uptown is not about necessity!!!!

Well gee, maybe THAT'S why I hate it so much! The Q-Mall makes my skin crawl. It's the most plasticized environment I can imagine -- like it was purposely invented to deny reality. It's like Disneyland for capitalists.

I've only been in ABO four and a half years but I really like it -- moved here after living in DC for a year and the hollow-cheeked black-leather-jacketed poseurs constantly talking about their fancy jobs and going to the wine bar drove me up the wall. I like the laid-back atmosphere here, I've found people to be MUCH friendlier than on the east coast where I'm from, and I have good relationships with many of my neighbors. Others don't talk to me -- shrug and move on, you know? Not everyone is going to like everyone, but I find it much easier to live in a place where I'm not constantly being judged for not having a fancy enough job, a snazzy new car, or trendy clothes, not being a skeleton, and not having my nose in the air relative to folks who have less than I do.

With that said, I think the job market is tough here (I telecommute for a company out of state) and I find it kind of ironic the amount of money this city spends providing and promoting outdoor art, events, and things like the Q-mall, when there are so many people having such a hard time here. Don't you think that money would be better spent addressing the dropout rate and the lack of respect for education that some posters are criticizing? (I have not noticed this lack of emphasis on education myself but perhaps that's because I find it refreshing after the constant name-dropping of "oh yes I have a degree from Big Fancy School" that I endured constantly in the east. And BTW I HAVE a degree from Big Fancy School so it's not sour grapes either. That kind of superior attitude is just annoying and rude.)

-- Proud Cowtown Hick

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
ABQConvict
^^^^^^^ utterly nonplussed at what constitutes snobbiness in some people's opinion.

ABQConvict
^^^^^^^ now getting a bit peevish.

catrinac, try Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills or Fifth Avenue on the upper east side. You might be impressed with the classiness level there, but then again,maybe not. Maybe you should just stay inside your undoubtedly classy house and shop online from classy websites so as not to accidently brush shoulders with the slobs that constitute 99.999999999999% of the world's population by your definition.

ABQConvict

Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,976 times
I'm enjoying this thread. My wife and I are beginning to need a new mattress...FINALLY...a reason to go to Uptown! And...now I know about Vibram Five Fingers...maybe I can find those there too and my toes won't freeze all winter the way they usually do. Hallelujah!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 47,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
My hubby is black and we don't have this problem. Ever. He is from a black family who have lived here since 1979. Maybe one racial insult in all that time. Where in town are you living?

hmm...ever think it is because his family's roots have been grounded here since 1979 and it's a smaller population where a lot of people happen to know one another. In case you haven't noticed, OPEN YOUR EYES. This is a really racist place. To clarify we live near the university and have simply been traumatized. If my husband is constantly being stared at, harassed, threatened with guns and knives for absolutely no reason I would say there is a problem here. There is NO culture except Spanish and Caucasion. There is more to the world then these two things. People are not as open minded as they may seem.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,557 times
Where is your husband at when he is getting threatened with knifes and guns?? Sounds a little far fetched to me. Unless he's in the gang related areas, I don't see this ever happening.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
Speaking of stares, I get tired of being stared at when I am riding the bus at odd hours, and frequently the only Anglo on the bus at least at certain points. The stares are almost always ambiguous to me. I'm not necessarily certain they are hostile, but it's certainly not pleasant to be stared at in that situation.

Do they think I'm a rich Anglo and I'm just riding the bus to save the planet? I'm riding the buses right now, because I don't have a car and can't afford to get one (though that should change after I get some debt paid off).

So I'm not supposed to be using public transportation, as a middle-class Anglo (albeit, one who has recently gone through some tough times financially)--but I'm still supposed to help foot the bill for it once I eventually get a car?

(To answer the thread question: I'm not really happy right now, but it has little to do with Albuquerque, and I still like Albuquerque despite the problems. But I might eventually get so sick of the behavior of some Hispanics here toward Anglos that it could inspire me to relocate.)

Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I'm enjoying this thread. My wife and I are beginning to need a new mattress...FINALLY...a reason to go to Uptown!
I desperately need a new mattress too, and soon. I hadn't known there was a mattress store in the Uptown shopping mall, but that would be a convenient place for me to get to on the bus. That store should be grateful for the free advertising it's getting on this thread. Maybe it will even expand!

(I will try to get something classy to eat while I'm there, maybe some panini or something like that.)

Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakBoy View Post

those look kinda disgusting, I saw some girl wearing those one day at the mall, and I was suprised that someone would wear those in public, but I was more surprised that someone actually manufactures those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque