Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:36 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times

Advertisements

I think based on celebrating life and having fun, we are very comparable to Brazilians and Colombians. I have both in my family, and we have a similar sense of enjoying life and partying for any little thing.

In terms of native american history and mestizo population, we are similar to Peru. We also have Asian populations in northern Mexico(Sonora and Baja California) and people of African descent in southern coastal areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:15 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drake View Post
Which countries in South America are very similar to Mexico?
Peru/Ecuador/Bolivia.

Basically because they have the highest amounts of mestizo looks, and indigenous looks. There are of course many european-looking people in all of them as well, but the mestizo and indigenous looks that are so common in the Andes Mountains, reminds me very much of Mexico.

The biggest difference is the food. In South America, it's usually beans and rice, or beefsteak and rice. Not many tacos or burritos or enchiladas and such like you'd find in Mexico!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I've been lurking around these Mexico related threads for a while. Of course all Latin American countries share some traits and everyone has its distinctive features. Then again, some countries have more similarities among them than others, so the question about the South American country most to Mexico is valid.

Many people chose Peru after some characteristics like the ones antma robel pointed some posts above. Although important, I guess such things are rather superficial at comparing the current situation in both countries. By experience, I tend to think Colombia has the most similar idiosyncrasy among South American countries, and then comes overall Northwestern South America (from Venezuela to Peru bar Colombia). I'd say that for Latin America the geography represents cultural closeness/differences relatively well.
This.

Of all the various Latin Americans I've come across, I find that Mexicans and Colombians just can relate really well. It's one of those je ne sais quoi things. Is it our affinity for cumbia? Our love for telenovelas? Our common struggle against violence due to the drug trade? The way we party and celebrate? How we associate with family? I don't know, but we just mesh very well.

Otherwise, on a superficial demographics basis, I would say Peru.

South Americans and South American country least like Mexico: Argentina.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This.

Of all the various Latin Americans I've come across, I find that Mexicans and Colombians just can relate really well. It's one of those je ne sais quoi things. Is it our affinity for cumbia? Our love for telenovelas? Our common struggle against violence due to the drug trade? The way we party and celebrate? How we associate with family? I don't know, but we just mesh very well.

Otherwise, on a superficial demographics basis, I would say Peru.

South Americans and South American country least like Mexico: Argentina.
Peruvians are pretty serious people and Mexicans are the complete opposite! We are definitely not similar to Peruvians. I used to have a Peruvian friend who would get offended when I joked around with him- he told me he felt Mexicans were disrespectful. This was a total cultural disconnect. Lol

We are more out going, always having parties and celebrating life. Joking around alot. We are definitely more similar to Colombians and Brazilians in that sense.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Peru/Ecuador/Bolivia.

The biggest difference is the food. In South America, it's usually beans and rice, or beefsteak and rice. Not many tacos or burritos or enchiladas and such like you'd find in Mexico!
Only thing is- a majority of Mexico does not eat burritos. Those are more popular in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas