Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

You always hear about *various* other groups bashing Haitians (not just singling out one group).

Overall, my experience with Haitians has been good. I have found most of them to be pleasant and very industrious. Here in NY, many are very hardworking, keep 2+ jobs and start their own small businesses to give their family a middle class lifestyle. Many of the women even make good livings in the medical field as nurses and such. Southeast Queens (and certain nearby suburban areas on Long Island) are known as the New York metro area's black middle class mecca and I would wager that Haitians are the largest group there. These are places with sky-high homeownership rates, strong property values, median household incomes that mostly exceed $90k, low to moderate crime and some of the suburban ones even have nicely rated school systems. They have played a huge role fueling that image and giving those places that honor.

Many Haitians contribute a lot to American society (beyond cheap expendable manual labor) unlike a lot of those in certain other immigrant groups; especially the ones whom are most known to bash them the most.

Fyi - I am not Haitian.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-19-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
You always hear about *various* other groups bashing Haitians (not just singling out one group).

Overall, my experience with Haitians has been good. I have found most of them to be pleasant and very industrious. Here in NY, many are very hardworking, keep 2+ jobs and start their own small businesses to give their family a middle class lifestyle. Many of the women even make good livings in the medical field as nurses and such. Southeast Queens (and certain nearby suburban areas on Long Island) are known as the New York metro area's black middle class mecca and I would wager that Haitians are the largest group there. These are places with sky-high homeownership rates, strong property values, median household incomes that mostly exceed $90k, low to moderate crime and some of the suburban ones even have nicely rated school systems. They have played a huge role fueling that image and giving those places that honor.

Many Haitians contribute a lot to American society (beyond cheap expendable manual labor) unlike a lot of those in certain other immigrant groups; especially the ones whom are most known to bash them the most.

Fyi - I am not Haitian.

Any proof? Lots of other groups do 2 plus jobs, nursing thing too. But yes, Haitians are known for doing that stuff too. At any rate, Haitians definitely get a bad rep but there are some of us who definitely understand Haiti's contribution....and with some of what I have seen on this board, I certainly understand why you would feel to post this

Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:

Fyi - I am not Haitian.
There has always been this stereotype that Haitians are super industrious. The Wayans show In Living Color had a regular skit about a family of Haitians all working multiple jobs. It was definitely a thing.

Interesting articles about the stereotypes of Haitians vs. reality.

https://pilotonline.com/opinion/colu...12e38aed6.html

https://www.eater.com/a/mofad-city-g...aitian-history

Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There has always been this stereotype that Haitians are super industrious. The Wayans show In Living Color had a regular skit about a family of Haitians all working multiple jobs. It was definitely a thing.

Interesting articles about the stereotypes of Haitians vs. reality.

https://pilotonline.com/opinion/colu...12e38aed6.html

https://www.eater.com/a/mofad-city-g...aitian-history

The family on In Living Color was Jamaican

Old 11-19-2018, 08:40 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Unfortunately, work ethic and personality has very little to do with how looked down on people are.

Just look at how Bolivians are treated in many South American countries like Argentina and Chile. They're said to have a strong work ethic and pleasant demeanor too but they're also looked down upon for being from the least developed country in South America.

Also, look at how Filipinos and Indonesians are treated in Hong Kong or how Eastern Europeans are treated in the UK. It's a similar thing.

The truth is people tend to judge others based on the superficial qualities of status and wealth more than anything else which means that Haiti being the least developed country in the Americas makes it an easy target for racists(typically from Latin America and North America) and same race xenophobes(typically from the Anglo Caribbean or Afro-Americans) to target or look down on.

I remember some of my Jamaican friends growing up used to say "At least we're not Haitian" whenever a flaw was pointed out. The irony is that even Jamaicans don't exactly have the best reputation among other Anglo-Caribbeans.

And most of Latin America still has a hard time accepting Afro-Latinos in their own home countries as "equals" and the colonial mentality is still prevalent despite dying down so it's natural that Haiti, a country that's almost entirely black and removed its colonizers will almost automatically be looked down on. However, it should be noted that most of Latin America/Caribbean besides the Bahamas, DR, and Chile doesn't really have ill will towards Haitians. They're just looked down on and not viewed as "equals" in the Latin American world.

Eastern Cuba, however, is probably the most Haitian friendly place in all of Latin America though. I've been there and Haiti was always viewed in a positive light by many of the locals who noted similarities between Santeria and Haitian voodoo among many other things.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Unfortunately, work ethic and personality has very little to do with how looked down on people are.

Just look at how Bolivians are treated in many South American countries like Argentina and Chile. They're said to have a strong work ethic and pleasant demeanor too but they're also looked down upon for being from the least developed country in South America.

Also, look at how Filipinos and Indonesians are treated in Hong Kong or how Eastern Europeans are treated in the UK. It's a similar thing.

The truth is people tend to judge others based on the superficial qualities of status and wealth more than anything else which means that Haiti being the least developed country in the Americas makes it an easy target for racists(typically from Latin America and North America) and same race xenophobes(typically from the Anglo Caribbean or Afro-Americans) to target or look down on.
This is the truth, yes even in America where poor Americans of any ethnicity, color, and age are disregarded, disrespected and judged for their lack of wealth, status and education (or lack thereof). It is the way of the world and it does not seem to be getting better but worse.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:

Fyi - I am not Haitian.
I've liked every Haitian person I've ever met. I've only met about a dozen or so...but never met one I didn't like.

For the record, meeting my fellow Americans, it's about 50/50.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Anyone checked out the Haitian community in North Miami? How is the vibe? A Haitian student at my university in Puerto Rico opened a restaurant in San Germán, the food was awesome. I remember this really spicy chicken breast, not too different from jerk chicken I guess, and a conch stew. I guess I was kind of surprised that we don´t hear more about Haitian cuisine...it´s good!

Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Anyone checked out the Haitian community in North Miami? How is the vibe? A Haitian student at my university in Puerto Rico opened a restaurant in San Germán, the food was awesome. I remember this really spicy chicken breast, not too different from jerk chicken I guess, and a conch stew. I guess I was kind of surprised that we don´t hear more about Haitian cuisine...it´s good!
They're food hasn't been as commercialized as other Caribbean foods in the restaurant scene but yeah....Haitian stew chicken > Jamaican jerk chicken from my experience. Cuban food > both imho though.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:07 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
1804 - Haitian Revolution.

There will always be hatred for Haiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas