Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
Where will you be moving to? We're thinking of moving to rural Kansas.
I'm moving to New Hampshire. It isn't perfect, but it's a state where individual liberty is still part of the political discourse. (Google the Free State Project.) I used to love living in Arizona; it used to be my home. I'm sad to be leaving. But it has changed, and is continuing to change, in a way that is not for me. Best of luck to you on your move to Kansas or wherever you choose to live.

As for the Arizona smoking ban, I've stated my views. I think it's wrong for people to impose hardships on business owners for an issue that is simply a matter of choice. As for those who support this ban, I wonder how they will feel when they are in the minority on some issue and the majority votes to impose something on them.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:07 PM

234 posts, read 786,205 times
JMX:

Thanks for writing. I'd like to hear more about New Hampshire. I've often thought about moving there. We considered Vermont years ago, but they enacted a state smoking ban in 1995! I'll Google "The Free State Project!" Thanks!!

I feel the same way you do about Arizona. We enjoyed life here for many years. The smoking ban was the "last straw" for us! Never thought we'd see this happen in Arizona, or Nevada!

Wonder what will be next....Will they outlaw certain oils in restaurants, or lard in Mexican restaurants? Will sugar be banned? Who knows? Pretty spooky and scary! No thank you! Thanks for writing, Claire

Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Aksarben:

All throughout the history of the United States, citizens have fought to repeal or changes laws that didn't seem fair to everyone.

Case in point, it took over a decade to repeal Prohibition laws. And, women and black people had to fight long and hard for the right to vote.

Some laws "stick" and other laws are eventually repealed. We live in a Democracy and discussion "doesn't stop" just because a new law is passed.

It can take quite awhile to "fine-tune" each new law so that it becomes a "fair compromise".....that satisfies the needs of everyone.

If the vote went the "other way" concerning smoking bans in Arizona and Nevada....the anti-smoking groups would have continued their "fight" by trying to enact a smoking ban through other "means" and "channels."

They wouldn't have said "Oh well," and simply "given up," and this is a proven fact....States and cities who have qualms about enacting smoking bans are "hounded" day and night by zealous anti-smoking groups, who refuse to take "no" for an answer.

Business owners, smokers and "civil rights" advocates aren't going to "lay down and die" and "give up" either. It's foolish and unrealistic to think that they will simply "ride off into the sunset" and accept the "status quo."

Sometimes, debates begin "in earnest" when a new law is passed....because all of the ramifications weren't considered before an election, or before a state legislature considered a new law, etc.

Nothing is (simply) "black or white" or "cut & dry" in a Democracy. Everything is subject to discussion and "fine-tuning" after a new law is passed. There are more and more "sides" to look at, and more consequences to consider that weren't obvious and apparent....when the law was first proposed. Claire

Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,258 times
Well said, Claire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
Thanks for writing. I'd like to hear more about New Hampshire.
There are plenty of helpful people in the New Hampshire forum right here on city-data.com.

The NH legislature defeated a smoking ban last year, but just in February when I was visiting there, the Senate did pass a smoking ban bill. I don't know what became of it though (i.e. whether the House also passed it and/or if the Governor signed it into law.) One thing about NH is that they don't have a ballot referendum process; everything has to go through the legislature so there is ample debate on issues. Plus, the House of Representatives is huge (some 400 members--almost as large as the U.S. House) so the smaller communities are well represented and the necessary checks and balances are in place.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,666 times
Join the club, Atlanta's been like this for a while now. We moved from Texas, where smokers are free to smoke in most places. It sucks, but what can you do? I don't smoke a lot, but it was nice when I could light-up at a bar. I understand the other side of it, though. Second-hand smoke is dangerous, so maybe it's our turn to compromise.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 PM

JMX:

Thanks for writing, and thanks for the info about New Hampshire too!

It's great that smaller communities have representation in the New Hampshire State Senate....Sad that this isn't true for other states.

Good luck with your move! Bet you're excited. Thanks for writing, Claire

Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 PM

JulieR:

Sorry that smoking is banned in Atlanta. When did the ban go into effect? Are the bars and restaurants doing ok? Is smoking allowed in outside patios? Just curious. Thanks, Claire

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 39,310 times
I agree, it's ridiculous! I don't think the people who voted this in truly understood the financial burden they would cause the business owners nor did they care. They also probably don't have social gatherings either. And as far as cancer goes its not just from smoking and second hand smoke. Think about the gases that come from waverunners, boats, pontoons. Do the reseach you be surprised. And what about the gene that we are born with that causes cancer and the pesticides on our food and the contamination of our water, they cause cancer too.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Let's ban all smoking first and we will get to the waverunners and pontoon boats next...

Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Tomorrow we go to Rock Bottom in Peoria for the very best hamburgers in town. Maybe we can actually taste them now. Seriously, their burgers are really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona