Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, come on. We wouldn't want a little thing like FACTS to get in the way of anybody's personal biases, would we?
AMEN to that, kdog.

Ya gotta love some of the posted comments.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM

59 posts, read 182,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Wouldn't it be great if no City, State or Country needed any type of Law Enforcement?

As for Rents and Land Prices, Mikey . . . definitely relative. Are you making like comparisons? Where are you located?

When I relocated here I was shocked at the much lower cost of living overall. That includes but not limited to everything from rents to groceries to taxes.
i am in new mexico,spent some time there in arizona.im not putting down arizona so dont get me wrong like i said it is a real lovely state and although i dont do anything to worry about being around police it just did not make me feel comfortable like you had to be on guard all the time.just did not seem as free for some reason.i would rather take a little more risk at personal safety than be surrounded by police,but i can understand people who dont,and maybe it was the part of arizona i spent some time at.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydoo21 View Post
i am in new mexico,spent some time there in arizona.im not putting down arizona so dont get me wrong like i said it is a real lovely state and although i dont do anything to worry about being around police it just did not make me feel comfortable like you had to be on guard all the time.just did not seem as free for some reason.i would rather take a little more risk at personal safety than be surrounded by police,but i can understand people who dont,and maybe it was the part of arizona i spent some time at.
Sorry, Mikey . . . I didn't mean to imply you were "putting Arizona down" in any way.

My point was that Police Presence is EVERYWHERE nowadays, especially in larger urban areas, and wouldn't it be great if it wasn't necessary?

Sadly, too many individuals out there not only do not respect the law but they do not respect their fellow citizens.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 PM

299 posts, read 566,122 times
WOW .. a couple million hispanic identities, which will turn into ID's for whoever wants to appear to be legally in Arizona, or anywhere in america.. Luckily, the COUNTLESS mexicans, and other latinos, sneeking over the border are too honest to take advanage of a situation like that or it could be a big problem when it comes to trying to solve our "illegals" problem.. If there really WAS such a problem, I mean..

Puerto Ricans targeted in massive ID theft schemes - Business - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37949054/ns/business - broken link)
---------------------------------------------------------

You know, we could be reading all these "undocumented immigrants" wrong.. Maybe they ARE really honest, and just UNSURE whether or not they're really allowed to be here.. Maybe once the law goes into effect, and the word is put out in spanish .. they'll all realize that they AREN'T supposed to be here .. and all just pack up and go back to mexico like the good citizens they say they are.. And if they DON'T .. maybe all the resident hipanics, including citizens, will say to themselves .. IT'S THE LAW, NOW .. and pick up the phone and report the illegals they are aware of to the authorities.. Making the whole operation much more efficient, less costly, and safer, plus avoiding any profiling by the police that might happen if the police had to look for the illegals by themselves.

Language CAN be a problem in understanding what the rules are.. In fact, I remember back several years .. not sure EXACTLY when .. there was an incident in a Los Angeles high school where language was apparently at the root of the situation.. A hispanic "immigrant" beat up a teacher in class.. While the teacher expected the student to be expelled .. cooler heads prevailed and it was pointed out that the student spoke NO english .. so it hadn't been explained to him IN SPANISH that in america the students are NOT allowed to assault the teachers in class.. so he couldn't have been aware that his actions might be wrong.. In fact .. HE was the real victim.. So the school decided the right thing to do was to explain the rules to him in SPANISH .. and leave him in the school.. And just forget about it.. I don't think any discrimination charges were filed against the teacher for pointing to a hispanic student as the assailant .. The teacher, finding out that he would have to face the student daily in class .. (actually, I think it was a female teacher) .. selfishly quit.. Thinking only of his own safety .. and not even considering the feelings of the victimized student .. who might now feel bad about the teacher losing his/her job.. Wasn't it ENOUGH that he had to deal with only assaulting his teachers OUTSIDE of the school.. How much should he have to bear.. Is it any wonder that the mexican president .. and obama .. are upset.

(There were NO reports of the student becoming depressed because of the teacher having to quit.. So it all ended positively for everyone)..

Old 06-27-2010, 02:30 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
Why would anyone think it's right to to use violence against another person? You can't hit teachers in mexico, so why would you think they can get away with it here? That's the most ignorant thing I have read in this thread so far.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
WOW .. a couple million hispanic identities, which will turn into ID's for whoever wants to appear to be legally in Arizona, or anywhere in america.. Luckily, the COUNTLESS mexicans, and other latinos, sneeking over the border are too honest to take advanage of a situation like that or it could be a big problem when it comes to trying to solve our "illegals" problem.. If there really WAS such a problem, I mean..

Puerto Ricans targeted in massive ID theft schemes - Business - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37949054/ns/business - broken link)
---------------------------------------------------------

You know, we could be reading all these "undocumented immigrants" wrong.. Maybe they ARE really honest, and just UNSURE whether or not they're really allowed to be here.. Maybe once the law goes into effect, and the word is put out in spanish .. they'll all realize that they AREN'T supposed to be here .. and all just pack up and go back to mexico like the good citizens they say they are.. And if they DON'T .. maybe all the resident hipanics, including citizens, will say to themselves .. IT'S THE LAW, NOW .. and pick up the phone and report the illegals they are aware of to the authorities.. Making the whole operation much more efficient, less costly, and safer, plus avoiding any profiling by the police that might happen if the police had to look for the illegals by themselves.

Language CAN be a problem in understanding what the rules are.. In fact, I remember back several years .. not sure EXACTLY when .. there was an incident in a Los Angeles high school where language was apparently at the root of the situation.. A hispanic "immigrant" beat up a teacher in class.. While the teacher expected the student to be expelled .. cooler heads prevailed and it was pointed out that the student spoke NO english .. so it hadn't been explained to him IN SPANISH that in america the students are NOT allowed to assault the teachers in class.. so he couldn't have been aware that his actions might be wrong.. In fact .. HE was the real victim.. So the school decided the right thing to do was to explain the rules to him in SPANISH .. and leave him in the school.. And just forget about it.. I don't think any discrimination charges were filed against the teacher for pointing to a hispanic student as the assailant .. The teacher, finding out that he would have to face the student daily in class .. (actually, I think it was a female teacher) .. selfishly quit.. Thinking only of his own safety .. and not even considering the feelings of the victimized student .. who might now feel bad about the teacher losing his/her job.. Wasn't it ENOUGH that he had to deal with only assaulting his teachers OUTSIDE of the school.. How much should he have to bear.. Is it any wonder that the mexican president .. and obama .. are upset.

(There were NO reports of the student becoming depressed because of the teacher having to quit.. So it all ended positively for everyone)..
I am reading this as "tongue in cheek" and hope I'm right because it did make me laugh. Sorta. A sad kinda laugh though because it just COULD be true! Although I will never be convinced that illegals who sneak into this country don't know it's wrong. Otherwise why "sneak"?? The people who bring them certainly speak their language...they know.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Default Unfortunately the earlier teacher/student story was ALL too real ......

While I often use sarcasm and other approaches to make points .. I'm afraid this incident was ALL TOO TRUE.. I wish I knew more of the particulars, but it was several years ago, I think.. Not really even sure about that.. But I do remember the basics of the story.. It's so outrageous that its not easily forgotten.. I don't remember if it was even mentioned if he was illegal.. I wasn't as conscious of that situation then.. But he's in high school and doesn't speak english.. Odds are extremely high that he's either illegal, or a family member of someone who got naturalized and then sent for family.. But he beat the teacher .. and I BELIEVE it was a woman .. and if he was arrested at all, he was back out quick because he was back in school.. And the school, or school board, actually did decide that they couldn't hold him responsible because he wasn't told in spanish not to attack the teachers.. I KID YOU NOT.. And the teacher was afraid to stay so he/she ended up quiting..

Here's another example of america's classrooms ......

Apr 9, 2008 | Posted by: Iria
Teacher Assaulted in Classroom; Video Posted on MySpace

Full story: snafu-ed.blogspot.com
In Baltimore, Reginald F. Lewis High School teacher Jolita Berry told a student to sit down after which the student attacked her, repeatedly hitting her while the student's friends cheered her own.

Teacher Assaulted in Classroom; Video Posted on MySpace - [domain blocked due to spam]

... and another .........
Uniondale HS Student Arrested for Beating Teacher | Long Island Press

Only in america ........

Is it any wonder that we can't control our borders ... we can't even control the children in our classrooms..

But just like the borders .. it's not that we CAN'T control our classrooms .. its just that we WON'T.

How did we ever get this messed up...

tiberius

Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Just for the record......

In my original recounting of the student beating the teacher .. my approach to the story WAS sarcasm .. including the student being considered the victim, and about discrimination charges not being filed against the teacher, and about describing the frightened teacher's quiting as "selfish".. It was all too outrageous NOT to feel sarcastic.. But the basic story was very real..

The school DID decide that his lack of english language skills, and the fact that he wasn't told in spanish that it was against the rules for him to assault the teachers, meant they couldn't hold him responsible for his actions..

tiberius

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,874 times
God bless Arizona!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
snopes.com: Arizona Protest

We don't know whether it is real or digitally manipulated. The Mikkelsons of Snopes think this was taken in Los Angeles, not Arizona, due to what appears to be the LA Times complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona