Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Jeff Long just said Petrino was fired today for violating the terms of his contract.

I'll still love my Hogs and will support the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Jeff Long just said Petrino was fired today for violating the terms of his contract.

I'll still love my Hogs and will support the team.
the $20,000 was the final blow I think. His having an affair, as Jeff Long said had nothing really to do with it. That was my contention all the way, what he does off the field is one thing, but $20,000 that is quite another..

I think we will all stand behind our team and hopefully they can get past this without losing faith. I am concerned now about the who will take over as head coach and if Patrinos brother will really stay on. I doubt it, but obviously I didn't figure this right so who knows.

Nita

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM

811 posts, read 810,225 times
No doubt we have the nation's best AD

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm shocked. Totally. There are some reports coming out that say Petrino was offered the position with restrictions or penalties or something and he would not accept that, so apparently he's gone.

Somebody write it down - I was wrong again. I figured U of A would keep him no matter what. Well, I need to go think on this one a while....
I think we all thought that, but $20,000 had a lot to do with the decision I think. Now, AR fans have to pray for the team and hope they will understand. I felt so sorry for Jeff Long..

Nita

Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we all thought that, but $20,000 had a lot to do with the decision I think. Now, AR fans have to pray for the team and hope they will understand. I felt so sorry for Jeff Long..

Nita
Well I agree with you. I felt sorry for Jeff Long too. Petrino put him in a bad position. He had no choice given the circumstances. He did the right thing.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I agree with you. I felt sorry for Jeff Long too. Petrino put him in a bad position. He had no choice given the circumstances. He did the right thing.
As much as I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, I agree. Long did what had to be done under the circumstances. I think we can pretty well figure the young lady?? is gone as well though Long would not say that.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, I agree. Long did what had to be done under the circumstances. I think we can pretty well figure the young lady?? is gone as well though Long would not say that.
Well I don't know about that. They may open themselves up to a big lawsuit if they fire her. She is probably safe. They may offer her money to leave though.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
After the details were all out, I think Long had no choice but to either side with integrity or a winning record and shot at a national title next year, and he went with integrity. I have a lot of respect for him for doing that, many other schools have faced similar choices and taken a less respectable path. The affair alone was unfortunate, but as Long said, a personal matter if that was all there was to it. Hiring your girlfriend (and, it appears, acting inappropriately through the hiring process to ensure she gets the job over 159 other applicants) for a job that reports directly to you and giving her $20,000 in cash while doing so? That's good cause to be fired. Lying to your boss, team, and staff about it and abusing their trust the whole time? That too.

Dorrell can't realistically stay with the athletic program at Arkansas and she knows that. I think there is probably sufficient cause/violation of employee code of conduct to fire her as well, but she really should resign and move on. I just hope Petrino can repair his relationship with his family. Losing $3.6-$4 million a year hurts, but losing a wife and four kids is a lot worse.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
After the details were all out, I think Long had no choice but to either side with integrity or a winning record and shot at a national title next year, and he went with integrity. I have a lot of respect for him for doing that, many other schools have faced similar choices and taken a less respectable path. The affair alone was unfortunate, but as Long said, a personal matter if that was all there was to it. Hiring your girlfriend (and, it appears, acting inappropriately through the hiring process to ensure she gets the job over 159 other applicants) for a job that reports directly to you and giving her $20,000 in cash while doing so? That's good cause to be fired. Lying to your boss, team, and staff about it and abusing their trust the whole time? That too.

Dorrell can't realistically stay with the athletic program at Arkansas and she knows that. I think there is probably sufficient cause/violation of employee code of conduct to fire her as well, but she really should resign and move on. I just hope Petrino can repair his relationship with his family. Losing $3.6-$4 million a year hurts, but losing a wife and four kids is a lot worse.
What did Dorrell do wrong? I mean she made some moral problems, but he was the one that hired her and gave her the money. I think if they fire her she has a good law suit against the School. If they were going to fire her they would have already done it. I think they will offer her money to leave and request that she sign an agreement not to sue.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
What did Dorrell do wrong? I mean she made some moral problems, but he was the one that hired her and gave her the money. I think if they fire her she has a good law suit against the School. If they were going to fire her they would have already done it. I think they will offer her money to leave and request that she sign an agreement not to sue.
I'm pretty sure that taking a job under false pretenses (possibly manipulating the process herself), accepting $20k from her boss for... some reason... as a gift, and carrying on a relationship within the same department is against the rules somewhere. I believe she has a responsibility to report the gift, the inappropriate relationship, and the relationship with her potential boss to the University. It's been years since I went through the employment contract at the UofA (since I worked there, anyway), but I find it hard to believe that she's not in the wrong somewhere too. Her breach isn't anywhere near as severe as Petrino's, but it's certainly bad judgement and involves an inappropriate workplace relationship. Even if she didn't break the rules somewhere and isn't up for firing, I bet she'll resign- can you imagine working there after all this? It'd be hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas