Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times

Advertisements

Europeans are given to national/ethnic stereotyping (rude French, lazy Italians, stuck-up Brits, humorless Germans, etc.) so I was wondering to what extent this also exists in east Asia.

For example, do the Japanese think the Chinese are rude?

Are Koreans viewed as pushy?

Are there difference in societal attitudes within China -- for example, do northerners look down on Southerners or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM

255 posts, read 565,432 times
They really have a low opinion of each other but the Koreans and the Chinese really hate the Japanese. The Chinese don't like the Koreans all that much and have a nickname for them 'bangzi' which was the word for the police truncheon that was used the the Japanese Imperial Military Police which was heavily recruited in Korea and used to police the Chinese civillian population. A lot of Chinese don't like the Vietnamese either. Basically, they are told who to hate by the media over there and on cue - they do! The Chinese can be whipped up into a frenzy of nationalistic hate in no time at all.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
They really have a low opinion of each other but the Koreans and the Chinese really hate the Japanese. The Chinese don't like the Koreans all that much and have a nickname for them 'bangzi' which was the word for the police truncheon that was used the the Japanese Imperial Military Police which was heavily recruited in Korea and used to police the Chinese civillian population. A lot of Chinese don't like the Vietnamese either. Basically, they are told who to hate by the media over there and on cue - they do! The Chinese can be whipped up into a frenzy of nationalistic hate in no time at all.
chinese are hated by most of southeast asia as well

I think Cambodia, Burma, Laos are one of the few countries with no qualms with china

Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM

255 posts, read 565,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
chinese are hated by most of southeast asia as well
I imagine, I have never been to South East Asia to I cannot comment. But to my knowledge they all hate each
other - even Hong Kongers and Ethnic Chinese Singaporeans hate the Mainlanders. There is a lot of hate
going on over there.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
I imagine, I have never been to South East Asia to I cannot comment. But to my knowledge they all hate each
other - even Hong Kongers and Ethnic Chinese Singaporeans hate the Mainlanders. There is a lot of hate
going on over there.
mostly about territory issues

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,403 times
the Chinese want blood for blood and hate the Japanese

the Chinese & Korean relationship is more neutral, they dont have as much animosity

Last edited by mr bolo; 11-26-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Europeans are given to national/ethnic stereotyping (rude French, lazy Italians, stuck-up Brits, humorless Germans, etc.) so I was wondering to what extent this also exists in east Asia.

For example, do the Japanese think the Chinese are rude?

Are Koreans viewed as pushy?

Are there difference in societal attitudes within China -- for example, do northerners look down on Southerners or vice versa?
When I was in Korea...

Koreans hate Japanese with a passion. You cannot mention the word, 'Japan', without intense strong feelings of hatred quickly coming to the surface.

Koreans didn't think of Chinese as pushy or rude (as Koreans are pretty much the same way). Koreans, did say that the Chinese are thiefs though. I often heard that Chinese would come to Korea, rent an apartment, and than take everything with them from the apartment when they left, things like that.

Koreans generally thought of anyone from southeast asia as hugely inferior.

I'm in Japan now...I don't notice the Japanese making many stereotypes of anyone. Don't know if they are too respectful or just don't think about it. It's a much larger country, and I think because of it, they are more insular without much opinion about other places. (I've heard the Chinese are similar in that way).

Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
In Japan, there are some suspicions of Chinese as there's an element of Chinese gangs engaged in petty crimes (steeling bikes and the like). So, I would say the Japanese stereotype of Chinese is about the same as the the Korean stereotype of Chinese.

I'm not sure what the Japanese stereotype of Koreans is. There used to be a lot of racism against Koreans, but I think that's died down a bit. There's discrimination with hiring, though. A Korean, who is fluent in Japanese, called a convenience store to try to get a job and was told that they weren't hiring. A Japanese guy called later and was told to come by for an interview. They discriminated against the Korean purely because of his accent. Japanese guys think Korean girls are hot. That's another story, though.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 25,612 times
In the east as i live in Hyderabad, India. Every state person sees the other with a different eye. Like every one is called by different names according to there behavior and culture so it is all possible in every state and country this happens. It is not just you who is living in the world.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm not sure what the Japanese stereotype of Koreans is. There used to be a lot of racism against Koreans, but I think that's died down a bit. There's discrimination with hiring, though. A Korean, who is fluent in Japanese, called a convenience store to try to get a job and was told that they weren't hiring. A Japanese guy called later and was told to come by for an interview. They discriminated against the Korean purely because of his accent. Japanese guys think Korean girls are hot. That's another story, though.
I equally notice that Japanese girls are interested in Korean guys as well. Plus K-Pop is popular here in Japan. Many of my Japanese students seem to have a lot of interest in Korea.

However, when I lived in Korea, it certainly wasn't vice-versa. Korean pride is extremely strong, and part of that Korean pride is wrapped up in a deep hatred of Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia