Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Oh, and to the original topic... I am in the Northern Territories now on a bus, and the lush greenery and steep hills, occasionally dotted with family tombs, are definitely one thing that pops into mind. I need to go exploring there sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
you can't work legally on a chinese spouse visa.
My first impression of this policy is that it screams sexism.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:56 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Air pollution, It's been horrid both times I have been to Hong Kong. Both times I have a arrived in Hong Kong after long stays in Seoul, so it's no as though I was not accustomed to big Asian cities.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
For decades, spouses of work (H1b) visa holders in the US aren't allowed to work legally either. Is that sexism?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
I think of cheap clothes, cheap women, and dirty hotel rooms........
I saw a lot of it back in 1967..... R&R...LOL

Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wekk, as far as westerners go... I'm not sure what the official numbers are and the PRC doesnt do much to compile them, but the bulk of Western-Chinese marriages are Western men to Chinese women, so on the one hand, it makes things slightly more challenging for the traditional male breadwinner structure if the man isn't allowed to work legally. Thankfully though, for me, it's pretty easy for a Westerner to get a work visa in china.

A lot of Chinese male to international woman marriages are to women from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, etc, occasionally Ukraine or Russia, and since in most of those cases the man is wealthy enough to woo and marry a foreign bride, it's often a non-issue since she won't be working anyways.

It is a lot tougher for an African or middle eastern man who marries a Chinese woman, since work and therefore visas are harder to come by. About six months ago, GZ authorities started cracking down on the African community because there is a larger percentage of them who overstay their visas; much heavier scrutiny for the ones with valid visas upon re-entry from HK or Macau, with lots of guys shut out from their Chinese families. If they presented documentation for marriage, the response was, "why didn't you get a spouse visa?" Not much sympathy from the immigration authorities on the issue.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For decades, spouses of work (H1b) visa holders in the US aren't allowed to work legally either. Is that sexism?
totally different situations; a foreign national marrying a citizen and still not being allowed to work upon issuance of a spousal visa, versus the non-citizen spouse of a non-citizen issued a work visa not automatically obtaining their own work visa (though this is how it works in China as well).

Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I thought we were talking about scenarios of citizen-foreigner relationships?

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-06-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Wekk, as far as westerners go... I'm not sure what the official numbers are and the PRC doesnt do much to compile them, but the bulk of Western-Chinese marriages are Western men to Chinese women, so on the one hand, it makes things slightly more challenging for the traditional male breadwinner structure if the man isn't allowed to work legally. Thankfully though, for me, it's pretty easy for a Westerner to get a work visa in china.

A lot of Chinese male to international woman marriages are to women from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, etc, occasionally Ukraine or Russia, and since in most of those cases the man is wealthy enough to woo and marry a foreign bride, it's often a non-issue since she won't be working anyways.

It is a lot tougher for an African or middle eastern man who marries a Chinese woman, since work and therefore visas are harder to come by. About six months ago, GZ authorities started cracking down on the African community because there is a larger percentage of them who overstay their visas; much heavier scrutiny for the ones with valid visas upon re-entry from HK or Macau, with lots of guys shut out from their Chinese families. If they presented documentation for marriage, the response was, "why didn't you get a spouse visa?" Not much sympathy from the immigration authorities on the issue.
Actually I was referring to the 'men are supposed to be the working sex not women' attitude prevalent in East Asia, but what you described is a form of sexism as well, I guess...even though I'm not really sure if reverse sexism really exists.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
totally different situations; a foreign national marrying a citizen and still not being allowed to work upon issuance of a spousal visa, versus the non-citizen spouse of a non-citizen issued a work visa not automatically obtaining their own work visa (though this is how it works in China as well).
not sure about your situation ... is your spouse a Hong Kong citizen? You mentioned she is from Hunan and also needed visa to work in HK. PRC citizens are not allowed to work in Hong Kong freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia