Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times

Advertisements

If you're interested in socializing with other atheists, join a group that's not about atheists socializing. Join a group that is about atheists doing: Fighting against prayer and the teaching of "intelligent design" in public schools and promoting the separation of church and state. You'll have to meet somewhere, most likely you'll have refreshments, and as time goes on, chances are you will get to know them as people and see what else you have in common besides your atheism.

No group like that in your area? Create one.

ETA: Just read your comment about Bill Maher. When you get to know a few people, why not have a screening of "Religulous" at your place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM

284 posts, read 499,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think part of my problem is that I don't really like groups of people in the first place. The quickest way to get me to shut up, clam up, and feel left out is to introduce me to a bunch of people at the same time. Groups of people, in my opinion, have a tendency to make things "cheesy." There's nothing I cannot stand more than making things "cheesy." I will not be playing Ring Toss, Pin the Tail on Jesus, Beating a Piñata, or anything else in my free time. Groups of people take things to extremes that I simply don't like.

I'd much rather be with one or two of my closest friends, with whom we all get along well, have no need to worry about passed judgments from a large group of people, and can say and do whatever we please without fear of reprisal or judgment. True humanity exposes itself on the most individual of levels. Large groups are nothing more than a concealment of humanity and a juxtaposition of false reverence. It is often hypocrisy in its highest form and something I simply cannot deal with.
Yeah, this is me too, esp. this part "Groups of people take things to extreme that I simply don't like."

While I can handle large groups of people every now and again, it makes my skin crawl to be around them all of the time. While the OP and his spouse might like to poke fun at religious people, it's not my cup of tea. Maybe because I'm Agnostic rather than Atheist... I dunno.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think part of my problem is that I don't really like groups of people in the first place. The quickest way to get me to shut up, clam up, and feel left out is to introduce me to a bunch of people at the same time. Groups of people, in my opinion, have a tendency to make things "cheesy." There's nothing I cannot stand more than making things "cheesy." I will not be playing Ring Toss, Pin the Tail on Jesus, Beating a Piñata, or anything else in my free time. Groups of people take things to extremes that I simply don't like.

I'd much rather be with one or two of my closest friends, with whom we all get along well, have no need to worry about passed judgments from a large group of people, and can say and do whatever we please without fear of reprisal or judgment. True humanity exposes itself on the most individual of levels. Large groups are nothing more than a concealment of humanity and a juxtaposition of false reverence. It is often hypocrisy in its highest form and something I simply cannot deal with.
I agree with your post completely. I've often been dragged to group events and it is painful for me - I'd really rather not waste my time going to any group events. I'm alright if I'm not required to talk to anyone. But, I always seem to get stuck with the chatty women who LOVE to talk about their favorite subject... themselves. Why does this happen to me? I don't like group games either or going through the social graces of small talk (it's torture I tell you!). It's all to phoney and too much. It doesn't help that I'm an introvert so, groups tend to be draining.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDick View Post
Anyone else disappointed by Atheism social clubs?
Are you serious?

Look, I like grapes, and they said you shouldn't eat grapes because they're bad for you and some people stopped eating grapes, but I kept eating grapes, because I like them.

So, what, I should found a political party based on grape-eating?

How's that work exactly?

I think Geddy Lee and Peter Cetera are awesome bass players, so what I should start a group and what, go protest on Wall Street?

A lot of this is just the politics of power. People will take an idea and then corrupt and pervert it to their own devious ends, usually so they can have power over others and for their personal amusement and financial gain.

I guess we'll never learn.

It's atheism. That's all it is. It's not a social club or a political party or a religion or a philosophy or anything else.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
This forum is as close to an atheist club as I need to get, thanks.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Let's all go down to the weekly meeting of the practicing delusionalist club, pay the admission of 10% of our income and sit around and be told tall tales about ancient mythology, then recite our wishes to our favorite invisible friend.

I choose to surround myself with those of higher intelligence on Sunday mornings, I stay home with my dogs.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM

417 posts, read 365,626 times
I used to be an atheist and I find people that are that militant in their beliefs that they want to join a club to discuss their atheism, are usually the people who are quick to judge others for their non-atheism.

Unless it's a focal point of conversation, and it rarely was for me, I don't tell people I'm an atheist, just like I don't tell people I'm a straight white male. It's irrelevant unless it becomes an issue in politics, and even then they always tell you not to mix religion in politics in the workplace or social place.

I do hang out with friends who like to have political or social conversations, and in this circumstance I don't mind or think it's inappropriate to bring up religion or faith, but to me it isn't that big of a deal. The libertarian in me says everyone should mind their own business.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
You used to be an atheist, but you don't tell people you are an atheist? Well, that makes sense. Just what are you, an atheist or something else?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 AM

417 posts, read 365,626 times
I was born and raised an atheist, turned Catholic several years ago.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
I was born and raised an atheist, turned Catholic several years ago.
Honestly... I could possibly fathom someone being an atheist their whole life, possibly coming to the conclusion that they believe in a deity of sorts. I'm not saying I find that to be entirely rational or logical but I do see a pathway for it to happen. What I don't understand is how someone could be an atheist their whole life and suddenly convert to the dogmatic structure of the Catholic Church given its history. How exactly does one go from not believing in any sort of God to believing that a single man (the Pope) is the Vicar of Christ on Earth, who receives special revelations and information from God, and that the practice of eating a cracker and drinking some wine is literally ingesting the body and blood of Christ?

Do you honestly believe that when the previous Popes were made aware of the massive child molestation problem that they didn't pray for an answer? And if they prayed for an answer with their open line to God, do you suppose that this Vicar of Christ received the answer of "just cover it up"? How anyone could still follow the teachings of such an organization baffle my mind. But, how anyone could convert from not believing in anything at all to believing all the excess baggage that comes with the Catholic Church... I'm highly skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism