Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times

Advertisements

Again, this not a blue state/red state issue. (God how I hate THAT nonsense.) those laws you posted from Maryland are old, unenforceable, archaic laws. These "personhood" amendments are not, and they will be enforced. No doubt the legislature will soon have an amendment like the one that nearly closed the last abortion clinic in Mississippi. It's like these states are in a contest to see who can deprive its citizens of their human rights, even their humanity the fastest. Who cares if the law is unconstitutional and will require the state pending millions of dollars o defend it (Like that ridiculous AZ immigration law that all the southern states rapidly adopted.) These laws can and will be enforced, or at least they will be until the ACLU gets its test case and they are finally struck down. It doesn't have to be this way and for much of the 70s-90s it wasn't. Then it was like the south decided it didn't want to move forward anymore and since then it has been firmly entrenched some of the most backward legislation since the 1950s and 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Again, this not a blue state/red state issue. (God how I hate THAT nonsense.) those laws you posted from Maryland are old, unenforceable, archaic laws. These "personhood" amendments are not, and they will be enforced. No doubt the legislature will soon have an amendment like the one that nearly closed the last abortion clinic in Mississippi. It's like these states are in a contest to see who can deprive its citizens of their human rights, even their humanity the fastest. Who cares if the law is unconstitutional and will require the state pending millions of dollars o defend it (Like that ridiculous AZ immigration law that all the southern states rapidly adopted.) These laws can and will be enforced, or at least they will be until the ACLU gets its test case and they are finally struck down. It doesn't have to be this way and for much of the 70s-90s it wasn't. Then it was like the south decided it didn't want to move forward anymore and since then it has been firmly entrenched some of the most backward legislation since the 1950s and 60s.
Unfortunately the radical right wing has basically taken over the Republican party in recent years.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Ya that's pretty stupid I agree. But so are these laws from the very blue state of Maryland
Your list is out of date. I know the oral sex one is no longer in force since Lawrence v Texas in 2003, I suspect a lot of those other laws have probably been thrown out by now is well.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
All of DeKalb county is not Dunwoody. And it's Dekalb county that is ripping itself apart along race lines. Thewack job legislator I referred to is from Marietta. The Milton secession movement is in Fulton. I have no idea about those other stares you've mentioned. My point is and always has been that there is little difference between Alabama and Georgia. Period. What oes or does not occur in northern cities is immaterial to the discussion. I freely acknowledged that at one point, Georgia did stand out as being more progressive than the rest of its southern brethren. However, for the past decade or so it has jumped on the crazy train too. Unlike them it has a lot to lose and its reputation is steadily eroding.

And again, progressiveness is not measured by the number of blacks rlected o public office. Georgia is what 40% black? How can it be otherwise. And as I've said the number one marker for regressiveness in this ountry is the percentage of blacks. Most of the southern states will continue to have regressive political and economic policies because they want o kep blacks "in their place." This will continue no matter how many blacks are in public office because when the number gets too high the whites will leave.
We will just have to disagree.And NO.The black population is much closer to 30%.I see a major difference.In just about every city in Alabama there is extreme segregation and poverty.One person mentioned Selma and Tuskeegee being poverty stricken and run down.Its a definite "feeling" in attitude among the people in these states that it is profound enough to notice.In Russell County Alabama is one good example where things like separate proms STILL get attention in the national news.
t backwards
If you are saying we are "headed backwards" I would agree however we are not there as of yet.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
In Russell County Alabama is one good example where things like separate proms STILL get attention in the national news.
Really?

Segregated high school proms divide Georgia's students - Telegraph

Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
I just recently moved from Metro Birmingham to Metro Atlanta. If you live in Birmingham or some of its nice suburbs like Hoover and Vestavia Hills, you will experience a nice quality of life with decent diversity and a fairly progressive population (asians, blacks, hispanics). However the Metro Atlanta area is just much bigger and far more diverse and progressive - I don't think Birmingham would ever have the progressive cojones to market the city to the LGBT population. Also southern accents are more prominent in Birmingham than Atlanta.

Oh, but outside the two main metro areas its a wash - both GA and AL are pretty similar in that sense, and very very Red and right wing TeaParty dominated (wasn't there a recent attempt in GA by the Tea Partiers to take Obama off the ballot?) I like living in metro Atlanta and insulated from the TeaParty just like how I was in Birmingham

Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Wow. Just wow.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
no REALLY.....Montgomery County to have first integrated prom - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Why does Alabama always seem to rank so high in these types of list?http://www.cnews24x7.com/2012/03/ame...ressed-states/

All you people trying to mitigate by taking Atlanta out of the equation are missing the impact it has on the culture of the whole state.30metro counties is a huge area of influence.it may trickle down slowly the further you go out but the influence fromm how the roads are designed,school curriculum and even attractions.Georgia is by no means a state to be emulated but its certainly NOT Alabama

Alabama=Mississippi

Georgia=North Carolina

Last edited by afonega1; 07-07-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
OK- so the issue was finally resolved this year- how progressive of them.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
OK- so the issue was finally resolved this year- how progressive of them.
Come on this is diverting away from my main point.BTW :it was in 2010.,
Anywho,I never denied Georgia not have those issues.In fact it was not I who was originally using race as the main measuring stick for "progressiveness".It is but one out many measuring issues one can use.
Things like roads and highways,political stability,corruption,future planning ,education,incomes,obesity rates,poverty,etc are some of the many things to be considered.

Huntsville is the only city you can give any credit for being progressive.How much influence can it have on the rest of the state?How big is Huntsville?less than 120,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta