Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are "backwards" people and places to be found everywhere, in every state and every region of the country. My friends in the Pacific NW could be having this same conversation about Washington and Oregon; you get much outside Seattle and or Portland and folks are just as "country" and "backward" as somewhere in South Georgia.

That said, some people in Metro Atlanta (and especially transplants from other places I suspect) are just plain wrong about there being no culture, economic vitality or "progressive" thinking in other parts of the state. For crying out loud, Savannah is one of the most liberal, artsy, bohemian and dynamic little cities anywhere in the country, much less Georgia and the South! It is a virtual melting pot of people from all over the world, with a fantastic spirit and laid-back vibe that's a joy to call home. It's not perfect, of course, but there's a LOT of very good things about living Savannah that many people in Metro Atlanta just don't know about, like our fantastic airport. I can fly nonstop direct from here to 10 major cities WITHOUT having to go through HJIA! Chatham Area Transit, the local bus system, is EXCELLENT and provides much better service than MARTA 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Savannah Arts Academy, the local public arts magnet, was named No. 1 high school in Georgia this year by USN&WR. We have excellent entertainment and nightlife (regular stop for major touring acts), great *LOCAL* TV and radio stations (no Atlanta news at all!) and outdoor amenities aplenty. Not only are our bars open later than Atlanta's, you can WALK DOWN THE STREET with alcohol in your hand.

And that's just Savannah! There are good things happening in cities and towns OUTSIDE METRO ATLANTA all over Georgia!
Savannah? Or Athens? I still haven't made a trip to Savannah yet but from what I have read and seen in travel vids its portrayal has always been that of a laid back old world place with a small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are "backwards" people and places to be found everywhere, in every state and every region of the country. My friends in the Pacific NW could be having this same conversation about Washington and Oregon; you get much outside Seattle and or Portland and folks are just as "country" and "backward" as somewhere in South Georgia.

That said, some people in Metro Atlanta (and especially transplants from other places I suspect) are just plain wrong about there being no culture, economic vitality or "progressive" thinking in other parts of the state. For crying out loud, Savannah is one of the most liberal, artsy, bohemian and dynamic little cities anywhere in the country, much less Georgia and the South! It is a virtual melting pot of people from all over the world, with a fantastic spirit and laid-back vibe that's a joy to call home. It's not perfect, of course, but there's a LOT of very good things about living Savannah that many people in Metro Atlanta just don't know about, like our fantastic airport. I can fly nonstop direct from here to 10 major cities WITHOUT having to go through HJIA! Chatham Area Transit, the local bus system, is EXCELLENT and provides much better service than MARTA 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Savannah Arts Academy, the local public arts magnet, was named No. 1 high school in Georgia this year by USN&WR. We have excellent entertainment and nightlife (regular stop for major touring acts), great *LOCAL* TV and radio stations (no Atlanta news at all!) and outdoor amenities aplenty. Not only are our bars open later than Atlanta's, you can WALK DOWN THE STREET with alcohol in your hand.

And that's just Savannah! There are good things happening in cities and towns OUTSIDE METRO ATLANTA all over Georgia!
Since this response follows my post and I'm construing it as something of a response to my post, let me go on record as saying that I never argued that no examples of progressive communities existed outside of metro Atlanta. My point in the context of the current discussion was that the whole of metro Atlanta, all 30+ counties, cannot be considered to be this one huge progressive bastion as the vast majority of the outlying counties in particular aren't very dissimilar from many other counties in other parts of the state politically, demographically, etc. And yes, that's the case for several other metro areas, particularly in the South, so Atlanta isn't an anomaly.

But I think you're exaggerating a bit when you call Savannah one of the most liberal cities in the country. It may be liberal for Georgia or the Southeast, but nationwide is a pretty big stretch. I wouldn't even say that about Asheville, and most of its county residents voted against the gay marriage ban NC had on the ballot earlier this year, unlike Chatham County which voted pretty decisively for it when GA had its measure on the ballot a couple of years ago (even Charleston County had a higher percentage of its residents against the ban back when SC voted on the issue). Hell, Multnomah County, OR (where Portland is) voted in favor of their ban a couple of years ago and Portland is generally considered one of the nation's most liberal cities. Let's not go to extremes here in proving our points.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-08-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
So you're saying Moultrie, GA is culturally different than say, Enterprise, AL?
I really dont want to sound like I am talking down on Alabama.All I know is what I feel based on what I see.I travel alot so I do have perspective on things.I never said that Georgia did not have some of the same issues as Alabama does.EVERY state does.The question is :how noticeable is the change.Particularly how pervasive is it?

Last edited by afonega1; 07-08-2012 at 02:04 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
I like how we sit on our thrones and talk down on the small town folk. This is interesting.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I really dont want to sound like I am talking down on Alabama.All I know is what I feel based on what I see.I travel alot so I do have perspective on things.I never said that Georgia did not have some of the same issues as Alabama does.EVERY state does.The question is :how noticeable is the change.Particularly how pervasive is it?
That's sort of the question my OP suggests...are we facing a new more competitive Alabama? I won't say "progressive" however. Texas is very conservative and is kicking our economic ass.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Savannah? Or Athens? I still haven't made a trip to Savannah yet but from what I have read and seen in travel vids its portrayal has always been that of a laid back old world place with a small town feel.
Gnats...don't overlook the South Georgia gnats. Why do you think so many people live in Atlanta?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I like how we sit on our thrones and talk down on the small town folk. This is interesting.
They do the same thing with regard to big city folks.

My Dad grew up in a town of less than 2000 people, and I worked and lived there for 4 summers during college. It's definitely a different vibe than a major metro, and not a bad one at all, but the difference in viewpoints (and values in some cases) goes both ways.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
So true.

The narrative in Georgia has always been that Atlanta is this big city full of sin and vice, and that the rural folks are good Christians with family values and grounded belief systems.

Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
They do the same thing with regard to big city folks.

My Dad grew up in a town of less than 2000 people, and I worked and lived there for 4 summers during college. It's definitely a different vibe than a major metro, and not a bad one at all, but the difference in viewpoints (and values in some cases) goes both ways.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Why is government distrust so high in the south?

I never heard this growing up in Maryland. Distrust of the police, yes but the government overall, no...

Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 PM

369 posts, read 657,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Why is government distrust so high in the south?

I never heard this growing up in Maryland. Distrust of the police, yes but the government overall, no...
Hmmm, ever been to the Eastern shore, or Western Maryland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta