Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 07:15 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I think Fairview should be the city of Ellenwood (what it's zipcode already is) and include areas of Dekalb and Clayton like the original proposal. Dutchtown can be split up between Lake Spivey, Eagles Landing, and Mcdonough. Everything else makes sense as long as the boundaries are drawn right.
There’s a proposal for the City of Ellenwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
The Ellenwood city proposal was several years ago and was seen as a way to create a Black majority "foothold" in northern Henry County. Fast forward until today, where the entire city government (council people to mayor) of Stockbridge is composed of Black elected officials, the City of McDonough also has a Black majority, and Henry County's new commission chair is a Black women, it would suffice to say that Black Americans have really gotten their "foothold" in Henry County. You don't even hear hide nor hair of the "Ellenwood City Movement" today.

Still, while the Ellenwood zip code covers a MUCH larger area (Demonta4 is correct that it stretches from northeast Clayton County through the northern tier of Henry into the southern tip of Dekalb County; the southern and eastern tiers of the Fairview community DOES have a Stockbridge zip code, though) Fairview REALLY is the "old time" place name in Northern Henry, is what the longtime elementary school is named for (and probably what Austin Road Middle School SHOULD be named), and is the name of the local business association that does "city-ish" things like put up Christmas decorations along the commercial corridors (East Atlanta Road and Fairview Road) and sponsor community events (kind of like the "Downtown Tucker Business Association did before that area became a city)

I do not think a "City of Fairview" will ever materialize (if this vote does NOT go Stockbridge's way, I can REALLY see them annexing vast swatches north of their present city limits is a weird meandering way to grab commercial corridors in the Fairview business district to replace their previous land grabs of prime commercial corridors to the west and south that may become the City of Eagles Landing). Still, (think about the City of South Fulton) stranger things HAVE happened.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The Ellenwood city proposal was several years ago and was seen as a way to create a Black majority "foothold" in northern Henry County. Fast forward until today, where the entire city government (council people to mayor) of Stockbridge is composed of Black elected officials, the City of McDonough also has a Black majority, and Henry County's new commission chair is a Black women, it would suffice to say that Black Americans have really gotten their "foothold" in Henry County. You don't even hear hide nor hair of the "Ellenwood City Movement" today.

Still, while the Ellenwood zip code covers a MUCH larger area (Demonta4 is correct that it stretches from northeast Clayton County through the northern tier of Henry into the southern tip of Dekalb County; the southern and eastern tiers of the Fairview community DOES have a Stockbridge zip code, though) Fairview REALLY is the "old time" place name in Northern Henry, is what the longtime elementary school is named for (and probably what Austin Road Middle School SHOULD be named), and is the name of the local business association that does "city-ish" things like put up Christmas decorations along the commercial corridors (East Atlanta Road and Fairview Road) and sponsor community events (kind of like the "Downtown Tucker Business Association did before that area became a city)

I do not think a "City of Fairview" will ever materialize (if this vote does NOT go Stockbridge's way, I can REALLY see them annexing vast swatches north of their present city limits is a weird meandering way to grab commercial corridors in the Fairview business district to replace their previous land grabs of prime commercial corridors to the west and south that may become the City of Eagles Landing). Still, (think about the City of South Fulton) stranger things HAVE happened.
Thank you. Lovin’ your posts...

Old 06-25-2018, 08:25 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There’s a proposal for the City of Ellenwood?
Yeah, like Clayton white guy said. The thing I have against Fairview is being that the area is really small, and though they do have a history, I think Ellenwood as a whole seems pretty tied together. There are literally multiple subdivisions that cross county lines in this area. I think incorporating as one city would bring a sense of community to this largely suburban area that’s pretty close to the perimeter.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:47 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Here's an interesting look deeper inside of what's currently happening on with the Stockbridge/Eagles landing breakup controversy. One aspect looked at in particular is how a splitting off could result in our Georgia municipalities & their bond issuance & ratings being impacted negatively.
A law suit filed by Capitol One seems certain to play out and bring the story back into the headlines.
Also, a Georgia Bar Association complaint filed by a former mayor against 2 McDonough republican legislators who helped push the bill behind the breakup proposal promises to bring an unforeseen twist to this going forward.

https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/wall-street-weighs-the-dismantling-stockbridge/tMtr5hAJX7L94mSviZrg2O

Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Interesting read. Just seeing the whole thread and am surprised at the possible precedent being set.

That said, if the governor can go in and wholesale help a community come into being and move boundary lines of existing cities, then get the heck over to south Fulton and straighten that mess of municipal borders into something streamlined.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Interesting read. Just seeing the whole thread and am surprised at the possible precedent being set.

That said, if the governor can go in and wholesale help a community come into being and move boundary lines of existing cities, then get the heck over to south Fulton and straighten that mess of municipal borders into something streamlined.
Good suggestion!

Old 08-25-2018, 04:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Here's an interesting look deeper inside of what's currently happening on with the Stockbridge/Eagles landing breakup controversy. One aspect looked at in particular is how a splitting off could result in our Georgia municipalities & their bond issuance & ratings being impacted negatively.
A law suit filed by Capitol One seems certain to play out and bring the story back into the headlines.
Also, a Georgia Bar Association complaint filed by a former mayor against 2 McDonough republican legislators who helped push the bill behind the breakup proposal promises to bring an unforeseen twist to this going forward.

https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/wall-street-weighs-the-dismantling-stockbridge/tMtr5hAJX7L94mSviZrg2O
Very interesting development.

I also questioned how the cities in Dekalb County were able to simply leave the county without dealing with any of their leftover debt obligations as well.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Very interesting development.

I also questioned how the cities in Dekalb County were able to simply leave the county without dealing with any of their leftover debt obligations as well.
Thanks for the link. Hope it gets defeated. Or something more equitable for the city of Stockbrige. I don't like Georgia's annexation laws at all, don't like this gerrymandering that Stockbridge did. But it was legal and they did it by the books. Shouldn't be left holding the bag because it was wrong to start with. It was wrong but it was legal.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for the link. Hope it gets defeated. Or something more equitable for the city of Stockbrige. I don't like Georgia's annexation laws at all, don't like this gerrymandering that Stockbridge did. But it was legal and they did it by the books. Shouldn't be left holding the bag because it was wrong to start with. It was wrong but it was legal.
This is how I feel.

Georgia's annexation laws suck.

What Stockbridge did sucks.

And--I do think a City of Eagle's Landing should exist. I think it would be good for the area, for Henry County, and for the Southeast Metro.

However, there is dangerous precedent that could be set with this.

I am torn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta