Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,101 times

Advertisements

I just moved here so I don't know all the details...but I remember hearing (fairly recently) that maybe 5 or 6 companies were looking at Charlotte to relocate (within different time frames)...but then chose to move to GSP.

And yet again...the only other thing anyone could come up with that Charlotte does better than Atlanta is BANKING....WHAT ELSE???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM

221 posts, read 431,405 times
I recently moved to Atlanta but I lived in Charlotte for the last 2 years and I would always have to say "Charlotte, North Carolina" when people asked me where I lived because many people did not know Charlotte was in North Carolina.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I'm not one to give that overly-boosterish guy ammo, but Charlotte banks did gobble up a few Atlanta-based banks in the 90's, and recently Siemens Energy Inc. decided to move their nuclear instrumentation and control group unit to Charlotte from Alpharetta.
Thanks! I know all about the banks - our only remaining homegrown/hometown bank left is SunTrust (former Trust Company of Georgia).

I wasn't aware of the move by Siemens. Thankfully, they are huge here with several division HQ's.

I doubt seriously if the guy I questioned knew of this, and I certainly don't expect him to respond.

On another note, there was a nice write up in today's AJC Travel section about the new Mint Museum in Uptown. It sounds great.
Visit the Mint Museum in Charlotte *| ajc.com

Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No they aren't in the same tier. Charlotte and possibly Tampa are in a tier above the other cities. None of the other cities GDP comes close to Charlottes($30 billion is a big gap). Plus the everyday amenities(with all do respect to Disney), cbds, of Charlotte and in some regards Tampa put them above the opther cities. I strongly suggest that people stop thinkin that because a city has more people that makes it better than a city with less people. Quite a few companies have moved their headquarters and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte for this specific reason. Big city perks without big city problems(yet). For example: one of the busiest airports in the world is in CHarlotte( can't remember the exact ranking but we are in the top 20). Also Charlotte is ranked # 7 in the country number of Fortune 500 companies located here. We also have plenty of amenities that for some reason some ATL posters think we don't have(amusment parks, animal science centers,jazz clubs, CBDS other than uptown). IF Charlotte was really as bad as some of yall "wish" that it was Mecklenburg County would not be the #1 relocation spot for Atlanta residents(thats not a shot just a fact).
You and the Charlotte Moderators are very strange people. BTW - there's a thread on the Charlotte Forum named Charlotte vs. Dallas. The OP wanted opinions on both cities as he or she was considering relocating.The folks posting agreed that Charlotte cannot compare to Dallas (or Atlanta - ATL was mentioned). The moderator (Sunny) got upset and warned the posters that the thread was about someone relocating; not a City vs City comparison. I then pointed out to the great Charlotte Moderator that the name of the thread is Charlotte vs. Dallas. My comment was then deleted. You and the Charlotte Moderators and crazy; and exaggerate so much. PLEASE NAME ALL THESE WONDERFUL JAZZ CLUBS. I went to WineUp in Noda. A small dumpy room over some crappy establishment. The room felt like a college lounge room. And they wanted to charge me $5 to get in. I was amused at this level of entertainment.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
How secure are the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte? Because L.A. is lobbying hard to win back an NFL franchise -- even to the point of trying to lure the Raiders down or the Chargers up. The likely team to relocate, if one does, is the Jaguars -- this may be their last season in Jacksonville. But with the pathetic season the Panthers are having, I'm just wondering if it's not a matter of time before they also pull up stakes and move to a more profitable city.

FYI -- The Tampa Bay Rays are reportedly shopping for a new city as well. The loss of a major league sports franchise is a HUGE blow to a city's psyche and would set Charlotte way back.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I just moved here so I don't know all the details...but I remember hearing (fairly recently) that maybe 5 or 6 companies were looking at Charlotte to relocate (within different time frames)...but then chose to move to GSP.

And yet again...the only other thing anyone could come up with that Charlotte does better than Atlanta is BANKING....WHAT ELSE???
And not even THAT anymore. Bank of America's future in Charlotte is seriously in doubt, while Atlanta's SunTrust ain't going anywhere, thanks to Coca-Cola.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
I recently moved to Atlanta but I lived in Charlotte for the last 2 years and I would always have to say "Charlotte, North Carolina" when people asked me where I lived because many people did not know Charlotte was in North Carolina.
Thanks for posting that...for sake of argument I left it alone but it wasn't just friends or family but most of the people I talked to had no idea where Charlotte was....lol

And honestly I think Cobb County alone could compete with the entire Charlotte area

Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM

^^^ Actually, I think it's just that most of the rest of the country (outside the South anyway) has a hard time differentiating between North and South Carolina .... they just consider it one big state (which at one time in history, it was)

Now, the one that always puzzles me is when people say Hilton Head Island, GEORGIA ... yeah, it's right over THERE ... and the airport IS in Georgia. But still ... HHI GEORGIA?! It doesn't even have ... rhythm. But if S.C. doesn't want it, Georgia will take it.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
I've heard nothing of the sort whatsoever, especially since the two areas have two totally different economic specialties. I'd like to see references if you have them.

Quote:
Huh? The subject wasn't even about what "Charlotte does better than Atlanta." Where did you even get that from? Now please go check the symphony orchestra, ballet, opera, etc. schedules and attend the next show you're able to make now that you know we have those things, even though the way you posed the questions implied that we didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
How secure are the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte? Because L.A. is lobbying hard to win back an NFL franchise -- even to the point of trying to lure the Raiders down or the Chargers up. The likely team to relocate, if one does, is the Jaguars -- this may be their last season in Jacksonville. But with the pathetic season the Panthers are having, I'm just wondering if it's not a matter of time before they also pull up stakes and move to a more profitable city.

FYI -- The Tampa Bay Rays are reportedly shopping for a new city as well. The loss of a major league sports franchise is a HUGE blow to a city's psyche and would set Charlotte way back.
Just because the Panthers are crappy right now doesn't mean their future isn't secure here any more than the Hawks' streak of lackluster seasons didn't mean their future was in jeopardy. A little guy named Jerry Richardson, who's very committed to this region, will make sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And not even THAT anymore. Bank of America's future in Charlotte is seriously in doubt, while Atlanta's SunTrust ain't going anywhere, thanks to Coca-Cola.
If BOA's corporate headquarters were to leave, and there's nothing indicating that it will, Charlotte would still likely be home to a regional HQs of the bank, just like we are with Wells Fargo and we'd still have a larger banking sector than Atlanta. We've reached the point now where the industry has reached critical mass and will continue to play an important role in the city's and region's economic future. There are financial firms setting up shop here on a constant basis and there are rumblings of even more to come.

Despite your "concerns" Newsboy, we're doing just fine here in Charlotte and aren't living in the fears that you're subtly implying that we should be living in. I'm sure Atlanta has more than enough concerns of its own for its citizens to work through without worrying about little ol' Charlotte.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
And honestly I think Cobb County alone could compete with the entire Charlotte area
How so? I can't wait to see your joke of an analysis here, probably based on something you heard your uncle's sister's cousin's wife's nephew say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta