Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom casey View Post
So my next question is where is the TEE Center because the last time I was in Augusta (March) I didn't recall seeing this center and the same goes for the Hyatt Hotel (being a Hyatt awards member I don't even see its status as "coming" in the list of hotels).

I have seen Cal Ripken's minor league field in Aberdeen, Maryland and it is quite impressive and it seems to be an amusement park - baseball park wrapped all in one. However, I do not recall seeing residential developments or restaurants or other commercail developments associated with it.
The TEE Center is under construction along Reynolds street between 9th and 10th..

The Hyatt Place complex(8 story hotel, 3 story office, underground parking) didn't start construction downtown yet...

Cal Ripken and Jim Jacoby(developer of the Atlantic Station in Atlanta) are both pushing the multi-use entertainment center on the riverfront.. Jim Jacoby is behind the residential, restaurant, etc component of the development.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom casey View Post
So NortonGuy what about bicycle lanes on the streets in Augusta. In most of the cities I travel to there are dedicated bicycle lanes.

I like your handled, I have always liked Norton's.
I definitely agree how Augusta needs a major sidewalk/bicycle lane project.. There are new bicycle lanes due to the Wheeler rd, Alexander Drive, and Saint Sebastian Way road construction projects.

The $1.2 million Augusta Canal multi-use trail expansion begins later this year or 2012... The project will help the connectivity between downtown Augusta and Columbia County/North Augusta.

The majority of the Saint Sebastian project downtown is complete.. The city is working on a landscaping project similar to Wheeler rd along the Saint Sebastinan Way.. The bridge over (15th street) pictured below will probably add more bicycle lanes..

Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,696,928 times
Are we sure the 1st level of the parking garage has space for retail? Drove by the other day, and upon glance it didn't appear as though it was very 'retail' looking lol.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Are we sure the 1st level of the parking garage has space for retail? Drove by the other day, and upon glance it didn't appear as though it was very 'retail' looking lol.
Commercial/retail space is supposed to be included on the 1st floor..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Stopped by downtown August a month ago and I've gotta say I was impressed. You guys have a lot of historic architecture, and it's all fairly concentrated unlike Atlanta. There is a fair amount of vacant storefront (particularly in the south part of DT, I noticed), so it would be awesome if there was some redevelopment to get more people living there and build a stronger retail base, but overall you have a cool city over there.

If we could only get commuter rail from Atlanta to Augusta and Savannah it would be prefect. Then put a spur to Athens at Madison. Everyone's happy.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM

The Artist Row area(upper Broad/10th-12th) is the most vibrant part of downtown... The lower part of Broad(8th to the Olde Town entrance) is where you saw most of the vacant storefronts. The recession halted and killed several projects in that area.. The renovation of the Woolworth building became a victim of the economy.. The renovation of the old Regency Inn(Holiday Inn Express & Suites) is finally suppose to start later this year.

The lower broad area is starting to see the private construction pick up steam.. S4 Lounge at 952 Broad, Bar 544 at 544 Broad, Just Essentials at 956 Broad, and Killer B Disc Golf at 863 Broad.. Construction is underway or coming to 565 Broad(probably commercial)and 586 Broad(commercial or commercial/residential).. The Sprint Food & Metro Market( renovation of the belk warehouse next to Augusta common, Sprint home offices and other tenants on the 1st floor, 2nd floor 'urban market' restaurant/convenience store, open air seating) might be underway or began next month.. The construction should have a domino effect on the lower part of Broad street..

On a side note.. Two businesses are opening along lower Broad..

Downtown Barroom located at 877 Broad St.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/agendapu...5&ItemID=14830

Double D's Lounge located at 402 11th St.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/agendapu...6&ItemID=14831

Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Artist Row area(upper Broad/10th-12th) is the most vibrant part of downtown... The lower part of Broad(8th to the Olde Town entrance) is where you saw most of the vacant storefronts. The recession halted and killed several projects in that area.. The renovation of the Woolworth building became a victim of the economy.. The renovation of the old Regency Inn(Holiday Inn Express & Suites) is finally suppose to start later this year.

The lower broad area is starting to see the private construction pick up steam.. S4 Lounge at 952 Broad, Bar 544 at 544 Broad, Just Essentials at 956 Broad, and Killer B Disc Golf at 863 Broad.. Construction is underway or coming to 565 Broad(probably commercial)and 586 Broad(commercial or commercial/residential).. The Sprint Food & Metro Market( renovation of the belk warehouse next to Augusta common, Sprint home offices and other tenants on the 1st floor, 2nd floor 'urban market' restaurant/convenience store, open air seating) might be underway or began next month.. The construction should have a domino effect on the lower part of Broad street..

On a side note.. Two businesses are opening along lower Broad..

Downtown Barroom located at 877 Broad St.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/agendapu...5&ItemID=14830

Double D's Lounge located at 402 11th St.
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/agendapu...6&ItemID=14831
I meant to put one business instead of two..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Sorry, totally got my directions screwed up (I assumed downstream = south).

Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,696,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Commercial/retail space is supposed to be included on the 1st floor..
Yeah, drove by the parking garage today and took a close look. No retail on the ground floor, just parking.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM

37,890 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Yeah, drove by the parking garage today and took a close look. No retail on the ground floor, just parking.
BIG missed opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area