Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 AM

999 posts, read 1,551,723 times

Advertisements

Norton -

Prove one thing you just said. Yes, they approved those things... but they cost much more than initially stated and the Miller Theatre is still sitting in a sad state. I'm 28 and can clearly see there is no reason on God's green earth why Augusta would need a 17-22k seat arena, especially if Gwinnett is plenty big enough for it's population area... that would be plenty big for Augusta.

I'm also for the mixed-use development on the river, but i'm also not so "sunshine about Augusta" that I can state the truth... that most people in RC feel that the mixed-use center is being crammed down their throats, whether they like it or not.

Maybe Fred Russell can find 100M out of his hat for you, because no one else has it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Norton -

Prove one thing you just said. Yes, they approved those things... but they cost much more than initially stated and the Miller Theatre is still sitting in a sad state. I'm 28 and can clearly see there is no reason on God's green earth why Augusta would need a 17-22k seat arena, especially if Gwinnett is plenty big enough for it's population area... that would be plenty big for Augusta.

I'm also for the mixed-use development on the river, but i'm also not so "sunshine about Augusta" that I can state the truth... that most people in RC feel that the mixed-use center is being crammed down their throats, whether they like it or not.

Maybe Fred Russell can find 100M out of his hat for you, because no one else has it.
Prove this comment you just said.. I'm speaking what I feel similar to your comments reflecting what's on your mind. The arena can be put on the splost list in the future..

Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,697,302 times
The fact of the matter is this: It is re-tar-ded to think that Augusta needs an arena the same size/bigger than the arenas in the largest cities/metros in this country. End. Of. Story.

Next thing you know someone'll be saying we need a subway system and tunnel running under the river.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM

The Verizon Arena in Little Rock can hold up 18k people...

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 AM

The Little Rock metro is also 130,000 people larger than ours, and they are part of a larger trade area CSA of 877,000 people.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM

That reminds me actually, I wish they hadn't named the arena after James Brown cause now we can't really pursue corporate naming rights to bring in extra income.

"Welcome to the Morris Communications Forum!" Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Read the newspaper and the comments on the internet, they are decidedly negative. There was a vote on the the mixed use center last year ad considering Augusta/RC is LARGELY democratic... you do the math to a 70% "nay" vote. People of South Augusta are for the baseball stadium... IF it's built in, wait for it, South Augusta... and that's not happening, so guess what their vote will be. Plus you throw in all the backdoor wheeling and dealing/deals AFTER the TEE center was voted on... and voters will be hesitant to say yes again to anything this costly and going through the hands of the morons that are the current city government.

I would venture to say that you're one of the only people in the comment section that is for the new baseball complex... the fact you're trying to say otherwise is exactly what I'm talking about, Countyman.

Just because other cities have something, doesn't mean Augusta needs it... Augusta isn't "there" yet in terms of progress and advancement.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Some people similar to you who don't live in RC, do think the comments on the AC reflect the majority.. There's a group of people(90% live outside of RC)who comment on the AC and they're against everything....

The comments in the paper said Deke would lose the election.. He won the election with with 64% of the vote.. The comments in paper are against the TEE Center too... The majority of citizens in RC who voted overwhelmingly approved the TEE center...

The majority of people living in RC don't comment on the AC.. I don't hear anyone mentioning South Augusta, except for a few people on the AC.. The only people bringing up South Augusta are the usual suspects who live in CC, and try to speak for the residents in South Augusta..

The straw poll was 10% of democrats, and the 70% voted against using tax money, and 66% voted for a referendum if public money is used.. 10% of one party is hardly the majority of RC citizens.. This was also before alot of people knew residential, restaurants, etc were involved.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 AM

I just moved from Richmond County (got married), have rental property in RC, both of my parents live in Richmond County and grew up there, i've lived in Richmond County personally 3 times... I think I'm just as aware of what goes on in RC as you are. It's not some kind've special secret that only Nortonguy knows... The fact that I no longer live in RC doesn't mean that I stopped at a government required brain washing station on the way out and forgot all about it's inner workings. There isn't a communist regime in charge of RC withholding all information from surrounding couties/states... you get the point, you don't have to live in Richmond County to realize its got problems and whether or not people do/don't support something.

Lori Davis had a few people on the paper touting her bid for mayor... people knew Deke was running basically unopposed (unfortunately). I was a Deke supporter and he has done good things, but he's slow to react and is often nowhere to be seen. And the voters DID approve the TEE Center, you're right. They didn't however, approve everything else and the increased price tag AFTER they voted for it.

Talk to Commissioner Wayne Guilfoyle, he's the one that mentioned the stadium and south augusta in an article...

I don't know how they didn't know... it's been stated as a mixed use facility since day one. As i've said Augusta is LARGELY democratic (you should know being in RC and all), it might only be 10%... but its 10% of a larger group that thinks along similar lines... Democrats and nay.

I'm not saying the 10% is right in the way they voted, but it's still more than you can prove on the topic. Voted no against (i'm assuming) local taxes footing the bill and yes on public money... translation... let other people elsewhere pay for it with their tax money.

I want the baseball stadium... to deny that there is a large wave of public opinion opposed to it, is dishonest.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 AM

The straw poll was held during a primary election(not alot of turnout) in last June and it's not based on politics.. I know republicans think all democrats do think alike, but come on. Some people still don't know restaurants, residential, etc are included.. The ball park portion of the development everybody does know.

Wayne Guilfoyle is behind the stadium idea downtown.. I don't remember him saying he won't support it unless it's located in South Augusta. After the election Lori Davis had a few supporters in terms of percentage.. If you read the daily comments on the AC somebody would think she's going to win. I never said there weren't people against the idea.. Alot of people who live in RC support he development on the riverfront..

The 10% who voted did include some republicans and independents.

Likewise, some folks in Richmond County were perturbed when they wanted to vote in Republican races but also wanted to answer the four straw poll questions Democratic leaders decided to ask their voters. Election director Lynn Bailey says some voters even opted to forgo the Republican ballot just to hop over and answer the Democratic questions, which included measuring the public mood on funding of a new downtown baseball stadium.

I do learn about several new things before the majority of ordinary citizens.. I remember commented how electrical workers had been at the VAR development.. Several people told me nothing is going on at the site, the store won't open or break ground this year, and other people didn't know what to believe.

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-05-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area