Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,391,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The $1.3 million improvements to James Brown Boulevard/9th street begin February 2012.. The improvements stretch from the parking deck and TEE Center construction in the CBD.. Through the completed library, Red star building, and judicial center in the CBD.. Then the road crosses Walton Way and enters the major construction happening in Laney Walker(homes, townhomes, business centers, parks, roads, streetlights, etc)...

James Brown Boulevard to get $1M facelift
The plan calls for new sidewalks, lighting and beautification on James Brown Boulevard from Laney Walker to Reynolds Street. It also calls for safety improvements to train tracks that run right between parking and the new judicial center. The new investment comes as the city prepares to brand the area as part of a new Laney Walker Historic Trail and welcome increased traffic from the new parking deck and Trade Exhibit and Events Center. The Laney Walker redevelopment is possible thanks to hotel/motel tax dollars. The new tours are part of the stipulations. The DDA said it hopes to start work as early as February 2012.
What about the outside of james brown arena it is the most ugliest arena I have ever seen on the outside. What is those cube design on the arena and they need to add more setting, we can only set about 8000thousand peoples we need to be around 15-20 thousands seats. Then we can attract some big time artists and not during the middle of the week when everybody working. Augusta need to do James Brown some honor and put him a new statue infront of the arena. I do understand they putting street lights, sidewalk and a VIP room inside the arena. Augusta don't know how to us James Brown legacy to their advantage it so must more I can say but if I was a commissioner in that area I will make JB boulevard nothing but James Brown memorabilia so as you walk on those cube sidewalk you can take picture of his memorabilia and put some restaurants name after his favor song Tennessee his elvis we have james brown

Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times
The sign at the James Brown arena is severly lacking in terms of style too.. The city needs to build a 17k-22k seat arena somewhere downtown.. I don't know if the money being invested into the JB arena affects the exterior...

Authority approves $5 million to fix up James Brown Arena (http://www.wrdw.com/politics/headlines/97897534.html - broken link)
VIP Renovations Could Come To James Brown Arena | NBC Augusta 26

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,696,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
What about the outside of james brown arena
He is talking about JB Blvd, aka 9th street. The JBA is located between 8th and 7th streets.

Quote:
What is those cube design on the arena
That would be the modern design that IM Pei chose for the arena.

Quote:
and they need to add more setting
I agree.

Quote:
we need to be around 15-20 thousands seats
No we don't, that's way too much. 10-12 thousand is ideal for an arena in a metro our size.

Quote:
Augusta need to do James Brown some honor and put him a new statue infront of the arena.
Why? He already has a statue on Broad and the arena is named after him already.

Quote:
I will make JB boulevard nothing but James Brown memorabilia so as you walk on those cube sidewalk you can take picture of his memorabilia and put some restaurants name after his favor song
The museum already has a James Brown exhibit, we should just expand on that. The sidewalk thing sounds tacky IMO.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Why in God's name does Augusta NEED an arena that seats 22,000 people when we are only a metro of 560,000? I mean come on! That's the size of Madison Square Garden or Phillips Arena! 10-12 thousand is ideal for Augusta's size.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM

The metro area won't be 560k forever and the Bi lo center in Greenville can hold 16k..

Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Yeah and? The Greenville CSA is twice as big as the Augusta metro, and they don't even have a 22K seat arena, so why in the heck would we build one? It's a waste and would never make any money.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM

The CSA population vs the population of metro Augusta isn't a fair comparison.. Like I said in my earlier post we need a 17k-22k seat arena..

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

999 posts, read 1,551,448 times
South Carolina Upstate - 1.3M people
CSRA - 709,000 people

That's almost double what Augusta has in the area. Augusta would love to have a newer and state-of-the-art arena... but it's not going to happen, not now and not any time soon. I don't see the need for an arena the size of Phillips in Atlanta for the Augusta area.

You could build a much less costly 12-13k seat arena and add 1 or 2 thousand people on the "floor" for concerts, like they already do at JBA. Ever been to the Gwinnett Center? 12,000+ capacity... plenty big.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM

999 posts, read 1,551,448 times
Another thing...

The proposed multi-use center on the river for the Greenjackets... 30-40M, and for the most part not very popular with many RC taxpayers. How do you think a $100,000,000M price tag will go over for a new arena? There would be riots in the streets...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM

The people living in RC are ready for the bigger developments.. They approved the TEE Center, library, judicial center, miller theatre, etc.....

The comments on the Augusta Chronicle are the same people(almost all live outside RC and over 50-60 yrs old) who complain about building anything... They regularly bring up the TEE Center, even though the RC voters approved it.. Their the same people who said Deke wouldn't win the election last year, and he ended up with 64% of the vote..

The majority of citizens in RC would support the new arena and the multi-use center...

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-05-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area