Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Doing ten over on the interstate and getting passed on the right by some one doing 25 over does not constitute driving in the wrong lane.
Yes it does. If that person had enough space in the right lane to move past you that fast, that means you had enough space to move back over to the right lane after you were done doing whatever it was you were in the left lane for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Yes it does. If that person had enough space in the right lane to move past you that fast, that means you had enough space to move back over to the right lane after you were done doing whatever it was you were in the left lane for.
Not when I just passed a car in the right lane
and before I could move over they whipped over in the right taking a bumper off the car in the right and one off of my car. Patience is a virtue. I don't cut back in quick. That's a law in some states where you cannot do it. I get really PO'd when someone cuts right back in on me when the road is wet and sprays my windshield with road grime when there are only 2-3 cars close.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:

right and then go exactly at the same speed as the guy in left lane. The person who intended to go 25MPH over would love that

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Middle lane should be doing the speed limit.
Left lane should be cars passing at at least 5 mph over the middle lane.
Right lane should only be cars entering or exiting the highway.

If everyone practiced this basic method, we'd have no road rage.
I agree about the basic method. I think road rage is the result of someone having serious issue before they get on the road. Here in CA, drivers on the interstate are typically going 10-15 miles over the limit. 65 MPH speed limit. Far right lane usually reserved for cars entering and exiting, middle lane for cars cruising along at speed limit or more (typically 70ish). Fast lane for cars going more than the middle lane. I drive as if this is the case. I stay in the middle lane if I don't want to pass other cars, and simply enjoy the ride. Some neanderthal pulls up behind me wanting to go much faster will have to pass me on the left to do so. I'm not moving to the right just because of his irritating driving habits and desire to go faster than everyone else.

I agree with others that if a person is driving in the fast lane (far left lane) and going the same speed or slower than the cars to their right, they need to get the hell out of that lane. I suppose those drivers feel the same way I feel about the middle lane. They don't want to be forced to move over. When I run into that kind of driver, I don't get mad, I simply get in the middle lane and pass them. It's the only time I pass on the right. No need to get upset about it. We all have to share the road.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
And I have been passed on the right on surface streets where there is only one lane in each direction by someone zooming by in the parking lane.
Same point...he felt you were going to slow. get it?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
What justification, beyond "everybody's doing it" or "I don't agree with it" which is no justification at all, do those of you who do so have for breaking the speed limit?

How is your justification for that any more valid than the justifications of those who drive the speed limit in the left lane?

Are they not equal violations of the law? (And, no, because you don't like one and practice the other does not make one more of a violation than the other.)

Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Knowing full well that hardly any one drives the speed limit and knowing full well that almost every one uses the left lane as the passing lane and knowing full well that it
p isses people off when some one hogs the passing lane and doesnt pass any one and maintains the speed limit thereby slowing every one down forcing them to use other lanes to pass whats your justification/reasoning for being in that left lane TexasHorseLady?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Same point...he felt you were going to slow. get it?

So what is the solution? If you get this can you enlighten us?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What justification, beyond "everybody's doing it" or "I don't agree with it" which is no justification at all, do those of you who do so have for breaking the speed limit?

How is your justification for that any more valid than the justifications of those who drive the speed limit in the left lane?

Are they not equal violations of the law? (And, no, because you don't like one and practice the other does not make one more of a violation than the other.)
Nope, they're not equal.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Middle lane should be doing the speed limit.
Left lane should be cars passing at at least 5 mph over the middle lane.
Right lane should only be cars entering or exiting the highway.

If everyone practiced this basic method, we'd have no road rage.
Would be perfect if more of the interstate system were 3 lanes each way. Most of it is only 2 lanes each direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive