Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Only a handful have the keep right law. Interesting since so many on here claim that is the law. They all must live in that handful of states. Or they just want rules that apply to others to get out of their way because they believe they own the road.
It doesn't matter if there's a law or not. Nobody has come up with a good reason in FAVOR of driving in the left lane, while there are good safety reasons for being out of the left lane as much as possible.

So funny to see the "believe they own the road" thrown about in this context because nothing indicates belief of owning the road more than driving in the left lane when the right is empty. It's difficult to understand why that is not obvious to those who are in favor of doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
Another aggitation are the people who sit in the middle lane, because they don't want to deal with moving over when there are cars entering from an on ramp three miles down the road. The problem is, if there is a car in the middle lane going slower than traffic, the faster cars are going to try to pass in the left lane and the right lane. Then you have two cars (from left and right) moving back into the middle - possiby at the same time.

Anyone who doesn't realize that they are going slower than the traffic around them is not using their rear view mirror and is not aware of their surroundings.

I love it when the fast lane is jammed, the middle lane is jammed and I coast down the slow lane, because no one is in it! LOL

Don't even get me started on people who back into parking spaces . . .

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
What's your problem with people who back into parking spaces so that when they are exiting they aren't backing INTO traffic? Is it that it might hold you up for ten extra seconds?

Here in Austin they've put in, in a few locations, on street back-in angled parking for safety reasons.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Nope, they're not equal.
Okay, they are both traffic laws pertaining to driving on multi-lane roadways. In what way are they LEGALLY not equal? (Again, that you like one and don't like or want to obey the other is not a legitimate or legal reason. I'm looking for REASON, not emotion, here.)

Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Another aggitation are the people who sit in the middle lane, because they don't want to deal with moving over when there are cars entering from an on ramp three miles down the road. The problem is, if there is a car in the middle lane going slower than traffic, the faster cars are going to try to pass in the left lane and the right lane. Then you have two cars (from left and right) moving back into the middle - possiby at the same time.
I have seen this happen many times. I can't imagine preferring to be in the middle lane and having people speed pass me on both sides. I guess some people are so tuned out that they don't even care.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Middle lane should be doing the speed limit.
Left lane should be cars passing at at least 5 mph over the middle lane.
Right lane should only be cars entering or exiting the highway.

If everyone practiced this basic method, we'd have no road rage.
Most ramps have their own lanes to enter and exit the highway. They can accelerate and decelerate when they prepare to get off. If there a number of cars entering or exiting at one time, then moving over to the other lanes would constitute as passing.

If someone is in the middle lane and vehicle come behind, they need to move over as well. I tried that middle lane approach. I get pass from both sides. That becomes dangerous approaching on ramps.

Even if you get stuck behind slower traffic, if there is space to your right, you should move over to increase visibility.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What's your problem with people who back into parking spaces so that when they are exiting they aren't backing INTO traffic? Is it that it might hold you up for ten extra seconds?

Here in Austin they've put in, in a few locations, on street back-in angled parking for safety reasons.
Backing in to the space is safer than backing out. Many parking lot fender benders are people backing out of spaces at the same time and hitting each other. I don't understand the gripe either. Heck, if I didn't back into my driveway, with the summertime traffic being what it is here, I would never be able to get out!

The one I never understood is why some people insist on backing out of parking spaces. They will come up to a space with another one totally empty on the other side, nobody there to take it, no curb, and they won't pull all the way through! That is a WTF moment for me, as that is probably the safest way to park--no backing up either way.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, they are both traffic laws pertaining to driving on multi-lane roadways. In what way are they LEGALLY not equal? (Again, that you like one and don't like or want to obey the other is not a legitimate or legal reason. I'm looking for REASON, not emotion, here.)
For one thing, the police do not enforce them equally. That right there says that they're not equal legally.

One screws up traffic for everybody when it is ignored, the other does not. One, when ignored, causes accidents and road rage while the other does not. One generates lots of money for the government while the other is good for the citizens (guess which one the cops focus on). One is reasonable in every state (if evey state had that as law) at any time, and the other is manipulated for different reasons, sometimes for safety, and other times to generate cash. They're not equal.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 AM

779 posts, read 973,396 times
Sometimes I get stuck in the left lane because traffic behind me won't let me merge back over to the right lane. People just keep cutting me off by swinging out to the right lane to pass. Sometimes I drive in the left lane in some areas so I can give motorist on side streets a chance to enter the traffic flow. Other times I drive in the left lane when water ponds on the edge of the road and often the right lane is rough because of truck traffic damage to pavement. I drive in the left lane a lot.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
For all you "keep right" law advocates, I saw this site and thought, here you go. All states with a "keep right" law is in green.
????

Looking at that list, all I see is 6 in the RED. Even 4 out of the 6 red ones state, keep right if you are slower than the posted speed limit for crying out loud. OH somehow doesn't enforcing due to some bicyclist appeal and the other is Puerto Rico (who cares?) not even one of the 50 states.
All others, green or yellow or even the grayed out ones pretty much states, you are driving slow(er) than the rest, keep your behind on the right as long as there are at least 2 lanes in usable condition and width and also there is no road blockage, etc. on the right lane.

Sad that, some people actually think there has to be a law to force them to the right lane and allow the rest of the faster moving vehicles to pass from the left.
Again, so much for common sense and common courtesy! I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive